Revell Horten Ho 229 1/72

I've always had a certain fascination with the Horten flying wing ever since playing Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe as a child on my parents PC wayback when. As you can see a pair featured on the boxart and stood out as a unique design for young me, although I seem to recall I enjoyed flying the P-47 Thunderbolt more in the actual game... Having seen several great builds of Horten aircraft on here I thought I'd have a go at the Revell 1/72 kit.

spacer.png

Overall the kit went together OK. I'm not very experienced as a model maker and had some trouble getting the outer wings attached to the fuselage without leaving huge gaps or the wings sitting at funny angles. After plenty of time filing and dry fitting the parts I then managed to create more problems for myself when attempting to fill the gaps that remained so the finish in those areas is far from what it could have been. I also had trouble with a couple of the decals, especially the large red walk way markings decal on the left wing which didn't bed down properly in places despite the gloss surface and this unfortunately stands out in the light. I'd have liked to have a better finish but I think the camo came out as well as I could have hoped and I was just keen to get something finished in the end. I've been looking at some of the Zoukei-Mura Horten kits available now so in a few years if my skill level has improved perhaps I'll have another go at this subject with one of them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 17

The finish looks pretty good to me - where you have troublesome gaps that have been filled and the finish is less than perfect if you rescribe a panel line through those areas (you need to use a filler that won’t flake - scrap spruce or Milliput say) the eye will be drawn to the panel line and not any slight roughness around it. 

Pat