Ground Crew Clothing - Sleeves Up or Down ?

Richard E

A question for those "in the know".

Would ground crew or any authorised visitors working around a front line jet wear their sleeves up or down ?

I'm looking for a couple of figures to finish off my current project but all of the suitable examples I have found are depicted wearing their sleeves rolled up, showing bare arms, but all of the pictures I have found show the crew with their sleeves down.

Depends on where and time of year

afair when I was in 'short sleeve' order came in about May 1st until October 31st. During that period we could roll our sleeves up in a prescribed manner. Outside those dates long sleeves only at all times.

Authorised visitors don't need to conform to RAF orders on sleeves up or down

But most chaps I knew who worked around Lightnings wore long sleeves as the W/O told them the folds of a rolled/folded up sleeve could trap something that the jet engine could ingest

• Thanks 1

Working arround an aircraft I would be wearing overalls rather than a shirt. I would also wear mine with the sleeves rolled up whatever the weather ( in winter or rainy weather I would have my cold weather jacket on), apart from when I was part of a see off team when I would roll my sleeves down in case of an engine fire.

• Thanks 1

But most chaps I knew who worked around Lightnings wore long sleeves as the W/O told them the folds of a rolled/folded up sleeve could trap something that the jet engine could ingest

My time on Lightning old civvy t-shirts were worn under overalls (Denims as they were known) when working in and out doors during summer months.

Winter anything you could get your hands on old woolly "pulleys" Jumpers.

• Thanks 1

Which period? Which country? Which part of the worldThere’s a great deal of variety.

In my previous UK mil experience the groundcrew would occasionally wear rolled sleeves outdoors in warm weather. The aircrew, however, would (ie should...) always have full-length sleeves in temperate climates for fire protection.

Jon

46 minutes ago, Jonners said:

Which period? Which country? Which part of the worldThere’s a great deal of variety.

In my previous UK mil experience the groundcrew would occasionally wear rolled sleeves outdoors in warm weather. The aircrew, however, would (ie should...) always have full-length sleeves in temperate climates for fire protection.

Jon

Good question Jon

I'm trying to represent this scene where the aircraft is preparing to leave/return to its parking stand so need include something in the foreground to hold the pilot's attention.  Although he is listed as French Ground Crew I was thinking of recruiting this figure (below) from Reedoak as he looks fairly generic:

spacer.png  

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

Well from the navy perspective overalls sleeves down or flight deck shirts rolled down ashore or afloat.

Same with Camo gear.

RAF seem not to bother and do what they like in the line personally a bit of fire retardant material non mmf between me and the potential of flash burns ....makes a good case for me.

Meanwhile taxing in to Orange in October to be greeted by a attractive French sir force lady in t shirt and rolled up shorts in the blistering October heat was a nice experience. 😄

• Like 1