Primer for white metal kits...

cmatthewbacon

I have a few white metal kits lurking in the stash, and I quite fancy trying one soon. I normally use Tamiya "Fine Surface Primer" for plastic models (though it SAYS "for metal and plastic"). Can I use it straight onto white metal, or do I need to get some of the dedicated Tamiya Metal Primer or Gunze Mr Metal Primer to use first? Anyone who does white metal models more often than me (ie, at all...) got any advice?

best,

M.

I do diecast all the time (which I imagine is similar in terms of primer adhesion meaning none whatsoever). Mr. Metal Primer gives it a much better grip, but then again if you don't expect to be "man handling" the parts you can just skip to your regular primer. Do a test on a part, you can clean it up in minutes using some strong thinner if it's not to your liking.

I've used both Tamiya Fine Surface primer and Halfords primer over white metal parts and had no problems whatsoever with adhesion of the primer to the surface. I've never used any special primer for either white metal, resin or photo etch parts and never had any problems 👍

I slap on Humbrol 33 Matt Black enamel.

I have been known to use Humbrol 34 Matt White enamel and sometimes one of the matt greys, again in enamel. It can depend on what the top finish colour will be.