Iron Eagle movie Kfir C2 and F-16B in 1/72

Sometimes, especially these days, it can happen that I go back and watch a movie I’ve seen before. Some movies, like Battle of Britain, Top Gun etc., I might even have seen more than say four times or so. But there is probably no other movie out there that I’ve seen like a hundred or more times (~99 percent as a kid) like the movie Iron Eagle.

Moreover its my younger brother Eddie’s absolute favourite. Iron Eagle is indeed a special movie in many regards. Released just after Top Gun in 1986 the idea would be the US airforce’s ”answer” to the Navy in terms of public relations. Don’t laugh. But when the US airforce, to anyones surprise, did not like the plot of the movie that was presented to them the film crew took their cameras and went to Israel. This is where most of the flight scenes in the movie was filmed. The Israeli airforce was kind (I guess?) enough to help out with repainted insignia F-16B’s and Kfir C2’s and a buch of really cool flying. The actual flying scenes in the movie, everything else aside, are unique and very nice. The actual editing job for the movie? Not so much - you could see one scene with a (practice) missile being fired and in the next scene the same missile is stil on that same pylon fron that same plane it was fiered from just seconds ago. A standing joke between me and my brother as 8 yer olds. Anyway, the movie came out so good that they made three sequals.

So, the idea here is to display the dogfight between col. Akir Nakesh of a fictive middle eastern country vs Doug Masters (Simply ”USA”). Nakesh (Really its David Suchet) flying a Kfir repainted with sand and red coloured star insignia and Masters in a F-16B. I plan to put both models on a brass pole and have a Gold plaquet with the dialoge etched in togehter with portraits of the pilots glued to the bottom wooden base. Bare with me with photos. When finished I will give this as a birthday gift to my brother.

49C15F9C-C53A-4F12-8AB1-6B40FF0A47C5 ADA64C3B-84D8-4BFD-AD7E-E3C2DD129BA9

To be continued...

Iron Eagle 2, 3 and 4 for the next birthdays.

/Freddie

Edited by Fredrikc
Spelling
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Fredrik,

very cool idea.

I watched all Iron Eagle movies multiple times when I was younger. It was just great to see all the aircraft in action one just read about before. Plausible story? Logical plot? Most important was some flying action and it was the best movie in the world (funny how easy one was pleased in these days :D).

Anxious to see how it turns out.

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks 1

I loved that film as a kid, even though I knew that the loop wasn't necessarily the be-all and end-all as far as ACM goes!  That one F-16 carried a lot of ordnance, too...!  Still, daft or not, I loved it as a kid and it's cool to see your models of the aeroplanes.  They look great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Niiice idea! Loved this movie as a kid. 20/20 hindsight and I'd be rolling my eyes more often than not, but it had some great flying scenes and one kick-bottom soundtrack! The best thing about Iron Eagle, was that it introduced me to Queen!

Will be stopping in to see more!

• Thanks 1

Neat subjects. I to watched the movie, just not in the theatres, couldn't afford theatres then. This was the only decent  movie in the series, the rest, lets say were just icky poo poo.  Models look good. If you display them, make sure the missles come off and keep reattaching them like on the movie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Niiice idea! Loved this movie as a kid. 20/20 hindsight and I'd be rolling my eyes more often than not, but it had some great flying scenes and one kick-bottom soundtrack! The best thing about Iron Eagle, was that it introduced me to Queen!

Will be stopping in to see more!

You got to love when Queen - One Vision comes on:

Edited by Fredrikc
Link to the scene
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a blast making this base in PowerPoint. Since pictures from the web did’t  capture the right cockpit feeling I had to watch clips from the movie on youtube and hit the print screen button just in the sweet spot. After an hour or so laborating with the design I printed the base on thick paper. Then I cut the paper to fit the plastic stands from Tamiya. Next step was to glue the paper onto the plastic base. Here I made a misstake when I started with a paper glue stick and glued the paper onto the base. It looked fine and even until I applied varnish over the paper. Then it went bubbly. So I tore it with IPA and started over, this time with scenery glue applied even with a flat brush. I left it to dry for an hour then went over it with varnish in thin even layers. This time it stayed flat and it looks like ”attached” to the black plastic. Then I took some brass sticks, drilled some holes and fixed the rest with a bit of cursing and super glue. Looks cool and I hope my brother will like this christmas gift. 

7987DB24-7218-42C2-8D37-9DEC75952B1D

2E038B06-8ECB-496D-BC6D-1E6E6E021946 36A230AF-E872-4CA9-866D-2FDA72A0EF33 A45DE053-9B74-4D36-B851-5E92BA6D203F

Cheers!

• Like 1