Display Domes for Figures

Black Knight

Figure display domes from Poundland

I'm always on the look out for display covers for my 1/48 and 1/32 figures.

I used to buy real fancy ones of a wood base and borosilicate glass but these have rocketed in price. I then started to buy ones off ebay. Their prices have also gone up and of every 5 I ordered 3 would arrive broken. Of all the ones I've ordered I've actually only ended up with 5 or 6 of different sizes

A couple of months ago I spotted these in Poundland and bought one to test out a theory. I was right and I've now bought more

This may sound daft; these cost just £1. (These days Poundland sell a lot of things at more than £1)

These display domes come with an LED light unit and parts to make it look like a bulb is on inside.

Poundworld%20display%20domes%2C%2001s-L.

The Chinese like to stick these together with a heat-melting glue, like the bars you would use in a glue gun

After removing the battery, which is not really necessary, and a soaking in very hot, but not boiling water this can be dismantled. I took this one apart and cleaned it up all inside about 5 minutes (timed by a song playing on the radio)

You then end up with the parts; the LED light & battery compartment with switch, base unit, 'donut' which holds the plastic 'light bulb' and plastic 'bulb' 'filament' and the dome.

Poundworld%20display%20domes%2C%2002s-L.

The main base is wood as is the 'donut', the dome is plastic. 

I put the LED unit into my small electronics storage box, the battery went into something else which needed a fresh one. The 'Bulb' parts are scrap. I've not imagined a use for them yet.

OK, so you have a hole in the centre of the base, small on top but large underneath, but using the 'donut' as a guide I've cut discs of thick card and glued that on as a base for the figure

In good Blue Peter fashion here is one I've prepared earlier for a figure I'm working on

Poundworld%20display%20domes%2C%2003s-L.

And two already done. On the left is one of those Del Prado figures, I think he is about 1/30 scale, on the right the figure is 1/32. I added, as I always do, small discs of leather as feet pads on the bottom side of the base

Poundworld%20display%20domes%2C%2004s-L.

Sizes; the base is about 68mm diameter overall, the display centre is about 55mm diameter. With the dome on the base the inside height is about 98mm. Thus it would take a 75mm or 1/24 figure as well

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1