This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

The Tomohawk Kid

Airfix/Amodel Comet 4B cross kit

Brilliant thread. I’m half way through the all resin Welsh kit (released for the benefit of vacform wusses like me). My first comet. Very very helpful information here. Top interneting, characters. Thank you. 

10 minutes ago, ajmm said:

Brilliant thread. I’m half way through the all resin Welsh kit (released for the benefit of vacform wusses like me). My first comet. Very very helpful information here. Top interneting, characters. Thank you. 

I didn't realise Welsh did an all resin Comet kit, there you go.

Tommo.

A newish release - last 6 months Or so. I say new but I think it is literally the vac form fuselage halves cast in resin. But there is some subtle panel detail on there (which I recall you said was not on the Vacform fuselage). Same tailplanes though.

Worth noting that the exhaust cans are pretty basic but Whirlybird Models has released a set of resin cast ones. I can’t vouch for their accuracy but they are an improvement in aesthetic terms. 

Edited by ajmm

12 hours ago, ajmm said:

A newish release - last 6 months Or so. I say new but I think it is literally the vac form fuselage halves cast in resin. But there is some subtle panel detail on there (which I recall you said was not on the Vacform fuselage). Same tailplanes though.

Worth noting that the exhaust cans are pretty basic but Whirlybird Models has released a set of resin cast ones. I can’t vouch for their accuracy but they are an improvement in aesthetic terms. 

Strange, I have been in contact with Densil recently about the Comet and he didn't mention this version. I should have been a little clearer the vac fuselage does have some light indicative panel lines - I guess they are the same as replicated on the resin parts. However, by the  time the fuselage is cleaned and given a smooth finish they are gone and looking at Comet images in my opinion one does not see many panel lines, particularly in this scale - so I'm happy

Good spot with the Whirlybits exhaust cans. I intended to use the Amodel ones which look similar to the Whirlybit ones. I have been doing research on this and they appeared  to be different between machines, but I will probably go for these now. For scale appearance the Welsh ones are probably are not too bad - but, as you say the Whirlybits are an aesthetic improvement, I'll drop Roger a line.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid