Best model filler!

Markh-75

Hi everyone, 

went to fill a low spot on a kit and when I went to squeeze some filler it came out all separated, mainly clear jelly with a few streaks of filler; unusable.

I was using Revells filler from a tube and I expected better from that from Revell.

what does everyone else use? What is better quality filler that can be used over a long periods of time without going orf in any way?

How long did you try?  This separation is fairly common on the nozzle, I get it on Humbrol for example, but just treat the first bit as waste and keep pressing until good stuff comes out.

No filler will last forever without going off.  I prefer Mr Plastic Putty for filling joins, panel lines etc or Milliput White for the heavy lifting stuff.  Mr Surfacer 500 is pretty good, as it ages it moves to  me more like M. Plastic Putty anyway.  Revell has varied through the years, last one I used was better than the Humbrol at the time.  Different people will have their own favourites.

Squadron White has worked well for me, Squadron Green is a bit 'grainy'. It can shrink though and isn't great structurally (filling a huge gap without a 'base' to build up from inbetween two side). I like Milliput as it doesn't shrink, you can mould it for a while (doesn't set as quick as Squadron) and is quite fine.

2 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

How long did you try?  This separation is fairly common on the nozzle, I get it on Humbrol for example, but just treat the first bit as waste and keep pressing until good stuff comes out.

No filler will last forever without going off.  I prefer Mr Plastic Putty for filling joins, panel lines etc or Milliput White for the heavy lifting stuff.  Mr Surfacer 500 is pretty good, as it ages it moves to  me more like M. Plastic Putty anyway.  Revell has varied through the years, last one I used was better than the Humbrol at the time.  Different people will have their own favourites.

I got to half a tube and it was only streaks of the coloured filler, if i thought i could mix it out of the tube i probably couldnt get it back in! I had a tube for years and it lasted for a couple of years while i was modelling last (about 25 - 30 years ago), i found the remainder in Oct last year but what little was left was solid, cant even remember what it was!

Tube wise, I'm using Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty which is fine for small jobs, but my favourite filler is Milliput. Something else that I use to fill surface scratches is correction fluid. It works a treat on small jobs.

John.

Thanks to all who answered; i have little choice where i am, and had to settle for another tube of Revells 'stuff', it was either that or Humbrols' (but i've gone orf humbrols stuff). Tried 'the bay' and scamazon but its only either Rev' or Humb', weird, i did search deeper and found a couple of others but the postage was just extortion, Mr Surfacers' was £5.99 but they wanted £35 for P&P!!!:gobsmacked:Milliput was £7.99 but it was costly to post and i would get it by the end of July!:huh:

I dont know, but will keeping the tube on its side help it? i stored the tube i have on its end in an organiser for tidiness.

Once again, Thanks everyone!👍

1 hour ago, Markh-75 said:

Thanks to all who answered; i have little choice where i am, and had to settle for another tube of Revells 'stuff', it was either that or Humbrols' (but i've gone orf humbrols stuff). Tried 'the bay' and scamazon but its only either Rev' or Humb', weird, i did search deeper and found a couple of others but the postage was just extortion, Mr Surfacers' was £5.99 but they wanted £35 for P&P!!!:gobsmacked:Milliput was £7.99 but it was costly to post and i would get it by the end of July!:huh:

I dont know, but will keeping the tube on its side help it? i stored the tube i have on its end in an organiser for tidiness.

Once again, Thanks everyone!👍

How hard did you look? :) 

https://www.blackmikemodels.co.uk/products/mr-hobby-mr-white-putty

https://www.blackmikemodels.co.uk/products/mr-hobby-mr-disolved-putty (only got one left in stock, had a rush on them over the last couple of days!)

https://www.blackmikemodels.co.uk/products/ak-interactive-modelling-putty (only got one of the Grey left, the White is out of Stock)

There's postage to pay on top of course which is £4, sorry but there is not enough margin on a £5 sale to offer free postage.

Duncan B

Hi Duncan, forgive me for not remembering you! I will keep your link in my favourites for future reference!

i understand about the margins and if I’m only buying one item it’s going to cost in P & P, fortunately I got my filler with free postage so I had less to worry about. I Will remember you in future though 😁. Regards, mark

• Like 1

I use a lot of scrap styrene dissolved in toluene, methylene chloride or laquer thinner. Mostly for small gaps as it tends to bubble.

A lot of times I will jam a gap full of scrap styrene sheet, soak it in glue and then just shave it down when it cures

I really like miliput though because it sticks to almost anything, doesn't shrink and can be sanded back with a wet finger while it's still soft.

Carves nicely too.

Automotive glazing putty or spot putty works pretty well for larger areas that need smoothing down.

Heck Bondo (or whatever polyester auto filler you guys have over there), is very useful too.

• Like 1

Normally for fine gaps I use PVA as it can be great for just closing a line, I also use it for gaps in clear parts and even for fitting them but in this case there was a small step just behind the cockpit canopy on the Private ear, and I wasn’t keen on just filing it down as it’s nearly 1mm. Once that’s dry I’ll shape it and sand it and prime it before I paint the top coat on the area. Thanks everyone!😁👍