Unusual Battle of Britain Hurricane

Your Hurri got me thinking about getting my hands on that Airfix kit, that’s how good it is. You raise a very valid point about absent rivets. Eduard and some newer companies are at the forefront of that but still not everyone likes them. I began riveting last year, and it’s getting more enjoyable each build. Looking at your model the riveting looks oob, great work!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, At Sea said:

Nicely researched and beautifully executed!

I couldn't say it any better and wholeheartedly agree!

• Like 1

What a superb collection!

Any details on how you achieved such superb camouflage and the paints used would be appreciated

Michael

Edited by Michael51
  • Like 1

@Britflyr:  Beautiful build, sir!  I was wondering if you would be willing to share your information source for the rivet locations on the Hurricane.  I am working on a 1/48 Airfix Hurricane Mk. 1 now, but I'm too far along on that one to backfit rivets, but I have another one that I want to build as a Battle of Britain Hurricane, and I would love to include the rivet detail on that one.  CAN YOU HELP ME, PLEASE?

Edited by Curt B
Spelling/syntax
  • Like 1

Lovely work... I also like the photo with the kit alongside the Spitfire and Defiant... they both look great, but for me, especially the Defiant.  Well done... ;-),

Regards,

Paul

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 3:52 PM, Troy Smith said:

It's not. 

ALL the photos of VY-R are from the same photo session, at castle Camps in July 1940.   

there are 28 photos VY-R here,  including the two above,  all from the same session 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144949377@N05/albums/72157704898371932

This has to be the best documented Hurricane of it's era. 

A load more 85 in the link.  Also check the 17 Sq album in the link,  most of those are from this time as well.

P2923 was lost 18 August 1940

http://www.aviation-safety.net/wikibase/176716

It may have got the underwing roundels by then,  these were only reintroduced in early Aug 1940, I doubt it.  They are also way to far inboard. 

this October 1940 image of 85 Sq shows at least 3 roundel sizes. 

40791024423_4e2ecbe9d8_o.jpg85 Squadron 111 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

the factory standard is seen on the lead aircraft of the 2nd vic, the others are MU or field applied.

A couple of little point, the upperwing  roundels are a shade to far outboard.  There is a formula, roundel centre 1/3 of span in from tip, span from centreline

Hurricane 40 ft = 480 inch, /2, =240 inch, /3 = 80 inch from tip. 

This was a standard formula for wing roundel placement.

wing tip lights were clear covers over coloured bulbs.

Xtradecal are notorious for not quite getting thing right,  the marking you bought are a case in point, with the wrong width Sq codes, lack of the in field Sky repaint, and 'black with  green bands' spinner.

There was a thread here started by an Xtradecal designer, for 75th Anniversary BoB sheets,  I had to draw lines on a photo to convince him that he was in error of a detail point.  Another member has said the same thing, and the small but blinkin' errors on other sheets have been commented in other threads as well

Model looks  great  :goodjob:.  

Fascinating and an amazing collection of 85 Sqn shots that I'd never seen before - thank you! Will know better if I ever try to recreate this one 🙂

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 6:24 PM, Curt B said:

@Britflyr:  Beautiful build, sir!  I was wondering if you would be willing to share your information source for the rivet locations on the Hurricane.  I am working on a 1/48 Airfix Hurricane Mk. 1 now, and I"m too far along on that one to backlit rivets, but i have another one that I want to build as a Battle of Britain Hurricane, and I would love to include the rivet detail on that one.  CAN YOU HELP ME, PLEASE?

Hi Curt, it's very hard to find a full plan with rivet details but given most of the fuselage is fabric covered rearwards of the cockpit, I used the wing plans (which also shows front cowling rivet lines) here: 1571949195702-png.558041

On 5/30/2020 at 7:49 AM, Michael51 said:

What a superb collection!

Any details on how you achieved such superb camouflage and the paints used would be appreciated

Michael

Thanks Michael - I did a little build slideshow on my YouTube channel which shows the paint types and sequence used better than I can type it out: (https://youtu.be/1VSjDotV87A

• Thanks 1

Superb finish on the Hurricane and your other models :clap:

The point about no rivets on Airfix or Tamiya's smaller scale kits, the problem is some people like rivet holes others don't, so maybe these manufactures don't want to do rivets. For Airfix I would think it would push the kit price up higher than they want and since theri moldings also cheaper they would have to spend a huge amount of money to get nice looking rivets like Eduard.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 2:14 AM, Britflyer said:

Hi Curt, it's very hard to find a full plan with rivet details but given most of the fuselage is fabric covered rearwards of the cockpit, I used the wing plans (which also shows front cowling rivet lines) here: 1571949195702-png.558041

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!!!!  That is SOOOOO great, will help a TON on my next 1/48 Airfix Hurricane Mk 1 build!   My current build, which I finished in the Egypt based scheme, came out nicely, I think, save for these super details.  I cannot thank you enough for providing this.  Thanks so very much, again!! 😊

• Like 1

@Britflyr, once more...  I have to say, again, that your Hurricane really is lovely!  I hope my BoB Hurricane looks even close to as good!  I got a set of the Xtradecal BoB 75th Anniversary Pt. 2 decals for mine, via Hannants.  I considered myself lucky to get these, since I'm here in the US.

One more question though, and I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome...  How did you deal with the indentation where the Tropical cooler goes, on the Tropical version, just behind and under the spinner?  Obviously, a BoB Hurricane doesn't have that additional cooling duct, but I don't see an alternate part on the Airfix sprues that would just 'fill in' that indentation in place of that duct.  If you filled it in with putty and sanded it, you did a spectacular job, but I have to believe there is a more elegant solution, and that you found it.  I just haven't figured it out yet.  Thanks again, in advance, for help with this little issue!

DUHHH!!!!  I JUST figured it out on my own.  The light bulb turned on!  I now see that you don't cut out the part at the front of the lower wing assembly that the Tropical instructions tell you to, and then there is another smooth panel that fills in from the front of the lower wing up almost to the spinner.  THAT'S how you do it!  

Okay, so I have one more question, then.  Are there any other parts that you used in place of the Tropical parts to make a BoB Hurricane from this kit?  Sorry to be such a pest!  🙄

Edited by Curt B
Additional thoughts/questions!
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Are there any other parts that you used in place of the Tropical parts to make a BoB Hurricane from this kit?

the Airfix new tool Hurricane kit has the same kit  parts in every boxing,  so can be done as standard Mk.I, trop and Sea Hurricane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

the Airfix new tool Hurricane kit has the same kit  parts in every boxing,  so can be done as standard Mk.I, trop and Sea Hurricane.

Understood, thanks.  What I was asking is, do I need to substitute any of the parts that are specified in the Tropical instructions, with other parts that are in the kit, to make a 'standard' Mk 1. versus a Tropical Mk 1. Hurricane, other than the cooler parts I refer to in my post 2 above this one.  Do I need to use any different parts to make a non-Tropical (i.e. standard) Mk. 1?

Edited by Curt B
Added emphasis
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Understood, thanks.  What I was asking is, do I need to substitute any of the parts that are specified in the Tropical instructions, with other parts that are in the kit, to make a 'standard' Mk 1. versus a Tropical Mk 1. Hurricane, other than the cooler parts I refer to in my post 2 above this one.  Do I need to use any different parts to make a non-Tropical (i.e. standard) Mk. 1?

Yes, you need C1 , undercowl part, and D45, carb intake..

The trop kit has a different undercowl, and need a section cutting out the lower wing to fit it,which you don't need to do

(I've seen a build where the builder did this and was trying to fill the slot....)

there is a pdf of the standard Mk.I plans here, or says there is, it's not displaying for me.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/4/9/9/932499-20-instructions.pdf

OK, you have figured that out.  Otherwise, no. 

One thing to watch, you can fit either set of blades to either spinner,  so check with photos.

Xtradecal BoB 75th Anniversary Pt. 2 decals eh. 

I remember having to draw lines on a photo to convince the designer that the F on the port side had a longer bottom stroke than the U....

• Like 1