SUPERMARINE SCIMITAR **RFI posted**

On 8/18/2020 at 1:05 PM, CJP said:

Hello Derek - you asked this question a while ago but I just got hold of a book Scimitar Supermarine's last Fighter by Richard Franks - as well as having a lot of interesting photos I had not seen before it does  have some rather nice 1/72 drawings, although the head on view shows a sharp vertical line at the intakes rather than the curvature of the fuselage which gradually flattens from the windscreen  back until it gets to the boundary layer panel at the intake 

regards CJP

Thank you CJ

Cheers

Derek

• 1 month later...

Hi All - Time for another update on my Dynavector Scimitar - I have had some problems with the kit to deal with which ended up nearly occupying the last two months.

I have been busy working on the cockpit area & started out by ruining one of the kit Canopies so I decided to have a go at making a canopy mould and forming my own canopy and keep the kit spare canopy in reserve - I was also not convinced with the position of the framing on the kit canopy -  I spent ages trying to get the canopy shape reasonably close to the prototype and then lots of work getting the mould as smooth as I could - I discovered spray  putty which seems to work well filling the bubble holes in the resin mouId that I made - casting a resin mould without holes from bubbles was beyond me but eventually I got the mould to a point where it was smooth enough that I could try making a  canopy. I used a two part Polyester Resin putty from a DIY shop so in future it may be better if I look for a type of resin that you can pour into the mould.

I wasted what seemed like many square feet of clear sheet - I could not produce a blemish free canopy so in the end selected the best of the canopies & pressed on -  I found a informative article in Airscales Spitfire build a couple of years ago & in it he found that air bubbles trapped in the mould can produce blemishes -

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234999371-118-spitfire-mk-xive-race-80/page/40/

I really admire those manufacturers like Falcon, CMR & others that produce those crystal clear canopies.

IMG_1021.jpg

I lowered the canopy sills to suit my canopy & try and capture those subtle  curves around the Scimitar windscreen.

IMG_0834.jpg

The cockpit was detailed by referencing Scimitar Pilots Notes on a CD I have as well as various publications on the Scimitar - I used Airscales  Instrument dial decals - the kit side consoles were used but I scratch build the main panel plus a few little ancillary dials. There is a fair bit of sanding dust showing  up in the close ups that hopefully a blow out with my airbrush will remove.

The Gunsight still needs the reflector glass to be added later & is temporarily pinned in place

IMG-1013.jpgIMG_1014.jpgIMG_1015.jpgIMG-1024.jpg

The fairing that sits behind the seat under the main canopy was also scratch built

IMG_1020.jpg

Copper Foil tape (from Leadlight suppliers) was used for the canopy framing - I find this is quite easy to use and has the benefit of having a black adhesive backing which is quite tenacious.

IMG_0963.jpgIMG_0964.jpg

CA & Talc was used to blend in the joins & gaps, a process still underway.

IMG_0992.jpg

The Ejection Seat is an old Cutting Edge MB MK4 from my spares box that I think I will use.

IMG_1017.jpgIMG_1018.jpg

The canopy will sit a bit lower down when fixed in place permanently.

IMG_1019.jpg

That's it for now

CJP

Edited by CJP
edit photo
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

What a fantastic build thread of a great aircraft. Don't know how I missed this one. Even a mid build treat showing a 1/72 Scimitar hack from two different kits!

Great stuff.

Terry

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

After getting sidetracked with 1/72  CMR & a Skybirds86 Scimitar's I overcame a sagging mojo and got this Dynavector Scimitar moving again.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235083733-a-couple-of-scimitars/

I had lost some of the panel lines on the belly in construction so tried to reinstate them as best I could - unfortunately the Scimitar drawings I have all vary with their interpretation of the panel line detail on the aircrafts belly so I rescribed lines by referring to an underside photo of the Scimitar plus the Britmodeller and Thunder & Lightning's walkarounds - also added a V shaped fairing in front of the arrester hook bay - I did not try to add every little panel and hatch but I think it looks representative of the actual aircraft.

IMG-1223.jpgIMG-1232.jpgIMG-1235.jpgIMG-1236.jpg

I next started the long process of masking up so I could get the EDSG top colour on and check how everything looks - after  airbrushing the EDSG I  went over the model looking for blemishes and bits I forgot to sand smooth or missed.

IMG-1242.jpgIMG-1246.jpgIMG-1247.jpgIMG-1249.jpgIMG-1245.jpg

The Tamiya masking tape was the removed and I was disappointed that some of the demarcation lines were not clean and sharp so will have to sand and redo a touch up but I guess that is expected & part of the process.  I also had my usual issues with masking pulling the Xtracrylic EDSG paint off in some places even though I had primed the model with Tamiya primer - I must say I do find the Xtracrylics nice to spray and they give a nice finish.

The next fiddly bit to mask will be around the jet  pipes so fingers crossed with the masking tape there.

IMG-1257.jpg

IMG-1258.jpgIMG-1260.jpgIMG-1261.jpgIMG-1256.jpg

Once I am happy with the paintwork I have to plan what to tackle next - amongst them undercarriage, arrester hook bay, ejection seat and the big one wing fold details plus whatever else I forgot.

CJP

Edited by CJP
link
  • Like 8

I do like it when we get to the paint stage, and I like it ten fold when that paint is EDSG and white. Of course, I'm equally happy with EDSG/Sky or Dark Slate Grey/EDSG/Sky, so you are probably beginning to understand where I'm at!

Great start on the paintwork and I'm sure you will sort any little hiccups on the way.

Good to see this one making some headway.

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I do like it when we get to the paint stage, and I like it ten fold when that paint is EDSG and white. Of course, I'm equally happy with EDSG/Sky or Dark Slate Grey/EDSG/Sky, so you are probably beginning to understand where I'm at!

Great start on the paintwork and I'm sure you will sort any little hiccups on the way.

Good to see this one making some headway.

Terry

Sounds like I'm at the same place re EDSG/Sky/White!

2 hours ago, Liberator224J said:

Whooop Looking great buddy. 

Thanks mate - I still look at the great job you did on  your Scimitar and so quickly too

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Does look great with some paint on.  That copper tape looks good for the framing too.

Thanks for encouraging comments - helps me push on with it

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi - it's been a while since my last update for various reasons but now getting back into the swing again    - starting with the construction stand my wife got me for Christmas which is very handy bit of gear.

IMG-1382.jpg

I  have added Archer resin rivet decals to the exhaust pipe fairings as these were rather prominent on the Scimitar - I did paint them over but found they tended to disappear so gently rubbed the paint back off the rivets until they just showed as in the third photo.

IMG_1405.jpgIMG-1406.jpgIMG-1407.jpg

A length of 10mm OD aluminium tube was inserted into the exhaust pipe as photos show an inner liner - the exhaust blank will sit on this tube -  the FOD blanks were scratch built from plastic sheet and copper wire

IMG-1429.jpgIMG-1487.jpgIMG-1486.jpgIMG-1455.jpg

The main landing gear was detailed with brake lines linkages and fitted to the wing - nose wheel was fitted into the wheel bay - I decided to replace the wheels with RESKIT Sea Vixen wheels as these have tread detail - they are also moulded in  grey .

IMG-1483.jpgIMG-1484.jpgIMG-1485.jpgIMG-1482.jpg

Next was the wing fold details which generated a lot of work  to make it look convincing - rather than an exact engineering replica I  aimed for more of an artists impression of the area which is very busy and involved hours of study of the photos on BM Scimitar walk around page & Thunder & Lightning's Scimitar page.

I started by making up a part to represent the linkage for the hydraulic lines between the inner and outer wing panels - it is quite a prominent part and I decided to solder it up from brass wire and tube

I have found that it is less daunting when I model an aircraft with folded wings that when I make a part for one side I then go straight away and repeat the part for the other side so the build up of the detail progresses evenly. 

IMG-1409.jpgIMG-1413.jpgIMG-1426.jpgIMG-1422.jpgIMG-1477.jpg

I then started to add various parts to represent the wing structure - I used copper wire from household electrical cable for hydraulic lines  - once the insulation is stripped off you can select the number of hydraulic/electrical lines you need for the location and twist the ends together and secure with solder - then it is a simple matter of gluing the end into a hole drilled in the structure with CA and routing the lines to replicate the prototype - the lines can be secured as you go with a drop of CA.

IMG-1445.jpgIMG-1470.jpgIMG-1448.jpgIMG-1447.jpg

Once the required amount of detail was added it was time for a dry fit - the wings are just sitting in place needing a minor positioning adjustment prior to fitting permanently at a latter stage. The close up photos are a bit cruel but wing fold looks ok from normal viewing distance - also still needs a bit tidying up in places.

IMG-1480.jpgIMG-1481.jpg

IMG-1478.jpg

EDIT     - after a look on Thunder & Lightnings Scimitar photos I noticed and area on the outer wing panel I had not seen before so have added some detail from heat stretched tube slid onto copper wire - 

IMG-1491.jpgIMG-1493.jpg

That's it for now & nice to see the end of the build in sight at last.

CJP

Edited by CJP
added photo
  • Like 12

Excellent work, just found you build. I recently picked up the Gannet and Sea Vixen. The Gannet having been started the Sea Vixen mint. I'll build the Gannet as it was the first FAA type I worked on whilst serving on 845 NAS. Outline etc look to be ok.

I like the way you have gone about the build accurizing as and where needed. The wingfolds and jury struts are excellent. Then your FOD blanking plates, which I'm a big fan of.

EDSG And White is always a great choice.

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been following the Scimitar build avidly, as I have one part built, and I also have a Gannet waiting in the (folded) wings!  Looking forward to you starting a WiP on the Gannet Colin.

cheers

Mike

also former 845 'Junglie' NAS

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I've been following the Scimitar build avidly, as I have one part built, and I also have a Gannet waiting in the (folded) wings!  Looking forward to you starting a WiP on the Gannet Colin.

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, I don't want to hi-jack CJ's build but yes the Gannet will for part of a build but exactly when. I have the two Wessex underway at present.

Colin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Mike, I don't want to hi-jack CJ's build but yes the Gannet will for part of a build but exactly when. I have the two Wessex underway at present.

Colin

All conversations welcome here guys especially on the above FAA subjects!

CJP

• Like 1

Excellent job on the Scimitar, especially the wingfolds, This is the one Dynavector kid I wished I had. I'll have to settle for Sangers Contrail kit unless Airfix is coming out with one but I won't hold my breath. But just in case I bookmarked this build I should ever get to start one. I'm looking forward to the finished result.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Tidy looking wingfold mechanics there CJ, and impressed by your new stand; is there a 1/72 version available of the latter do you know?

(A friend wants to know... :laugh:)

Hi thanks for your kind comments - there are a range of stands for various scales & applications - this link gives you an idea what's available under the Vertigo Miniatures brand - similar to the wooden variety often seen on BM - https://www.bnamodelworld.com/vertigo-miniatures

cheers CJP

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Excellent job on the Scimitar, especially the wingfolds, This is the one Dynavector kid I wished I had. I'll have to settle for Sangers Contrail kit unless Airfix is coming out with one but I won't hold my breath. But just in case I bookmarked this build I should ever get to start one. I'm looking forward to the finished result.

Thanks Loren - yes it is a shame the Dynavector Scimitar is no longer in production & an even bigger shame that Airfix/Kinetic or someone of that ilk has not seen fit to produce one.

As for finishing the Scimitar I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now!

CJP

6 hours ago, bootneck said:

cheers

Mike

I  also have a Dynavector Gannet in the stash but I don't feel I could tackle another vacuform just now - especially as I would have to make it with wings folded

CJP

7 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Excellent work, just found you build. I recently picked up the Gannet and Sea Vixen. The Gannet having been started the Sea Vixen mint. I'll build the Gannet as it was the first FAA type I worked on whilst serving on 845 NAS. Outline etc look to be ok.

I like the way you have gone about the build accurizing as and where needed. The wingfolds and jury struts are excellent. Then your FOD blanking plates, which I'm a big fan of.

EDSG And White is always a great choice.

Colin

Thanks for that Colin - looks like you have some very interesting models underway

CJP

6 hours ago, CJP said:

Thanks for that Colin - looks like you have some very interesting models underway

CJP

Hi CJ, I try to keep busy during my retirement. I'm working towards building the Family of Wessex helo. So far I have built the Prototype, a HAS Mk 1 'early' and a HU Mk5 'early'. The latter, my cab from 845 NAS  back in 1965. On the blocks, the Wessex prototype under construction and an HAR Mk2 SAR cab. A current build here on BM.

Cheers Colin

• Like 1