SUPERMARINE SCIMITAR **RFI posted**

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Hi CJ, I try to keep busy during my retirement. I'm working towards building the Family of Wessex helo. So far I have built the Prototype, a HAS Mk 1 'early' and a HU Mk5 'early'. The latter, my cab from 845 NAS  back in 1965. On the blocks, the Wessex prototype under construction and an HAR Mk2 SAR cab. A current build here on BM.

Cheers Colin

Thanks Colin - now following your builds 

Hi Colin (sorry CJ slightly more drift), were you in Borneo during that time?  I was deployed with 40 Commando who were there 1965/66.

CJ, the wing-fold on the Gannet is the reason why I haven't started it yet.  I have been following Massimo's excellent 1:72 scale AEW build for pointers though.

Happy Modelling!

Mike

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bootneck said:

Hi Colin (sorry CJ slightly more drift), were you in Borneo during that time?  I was deployed with 40 Commando who were there 1965/66.

CJ, the wing-fold on the Gannet is the reason why I haven't started it yet.  I have been following Massimo's excellent 1:72 scale AEW build for pointers though.

Happy Modelling!

Mike

I looked at images of the wingfold, I don't think I'm into purgatory! Spread will do me, and I'm thinking COD. It did however always fascinated me on the line, when one of the cabs folded it's wings. First one side would move then the other, then a bit more the other, then... If we were checking the hydraulic systems and a fold was necessary, you would have to hang on the wing tip and bounce it to release the locking pins.

Another interesting fact, besides having  grown up but wasn't aware, about five miles from the Fairey factory in Cheadle, Cheshire, the fuselage was constructed outside in. In that the skin was placed in a jig and then the frames, longerons etc added to the skin.

Colin

• Like 2

16 hours ago, heloman1 said:

I looked at images of the wingfold, I don't think I'm into purgatory! Spread will do me, and I'm thinking COD. It did however always fascinated me on the line, when one of the cabs folded it's wings. First one side would move then the other, then a bit more the other, then... If we were checking the hydraulic systems and a fold was necessary, you would have to hang on the wing tip and bounce it to release the locking pins.

Another interesting fact, besides having  grown up but wasn't aware, about five miles from the Fairey factory in Cheadle, Cheshire, the fuselage was constructed outside in. In that the skin was placed in a jig and then the frames, longerons etc added to the skin.

Colin

I just had another look at Massimo's AEW Gannet and he really did nail the wing fold detail and the sit of the folded wings which is essential - there are also some nice detail photos of the wing fold of both the AS & AEW aircraft showing the more open & busy structure of the AEW - I think I will do a folded AS Gannet when I eventually get around to making my Dynavector one.

CJP

Edited by CJP
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've had an extended break from work on the Scimitar due to temporarily turning the modelling room back into a bedroom for one of my daughters & her family visiting after which I decided to spring clean and re-organise my workspace - so here it is the end of March and I have just got back into the build.

Main landing gear doors detailed with plastic card - rear nose gear door will be added last.

IMG_1504.jpgIMG_1507.jpgjet 

I found out with the mods I have done that the Scimitar became a tail sitter - I was able to add some bits of lead strip into the intakes - I always intended to fit intake blanks so that was not a problem - I then added some jet exhaust staining on the rear fuselage.

IMG_1509.jpgIMG_1527.jpgIMG_1526.jpgIMG_1528.jpg

Tackled the fuel tanks and decided on having the four tanks underwing - I used the 150 gallon kit tanks for the outer pylons and raided my Kinetic FA2 Sea Harrrier kit for the 200 gallon tanks for the  inner pylons. The rear of the outer pylons have an extended fairing so this was added with strip and putty sanded to shape.

IMG_1500.jpgIMG_1654.jpgIMG_1646.jpgIMG_1651.jpg

Outer wing panels and tanks dry  fitted to check if the alignment is looking reasonable.

IMG_1647.jpgIMG_1648.jpgIMG-1657.jpg

The front wing fold hinge was moved rearwards about a millimeter which was a very fiddly job  with a fine chisel without damaging the detail I had already added.

Decals

The decals were a mixed batch - I first started with the kit decal Scimitar blade for the fin - the white of the blade was a bit yellowed so I had to carefully paint in the white by hand - I scanned a copy of the blade and printed it onto decal film - the white did not copy at all and the yellow handle was very pale but the black outline reproduced well so I was able to restore the outline by printing it onto decal film & overlaying this on my hand painted blade - I also extend the length of the blade a little by cutting it at the handle and painting in the gap.

IMG-1533.jpg

Prior to this I had purchased a Model Alliance decal sheet but was disappointed to find that the Scimitar blade on the sheet did not have any black outline detail & I messed it up trying to hand paint the fine outlines hence having to fix up the kit decal  - I could not fit the underwing serial XD248 between the roundel and landing gear so I made a copy on a scanner at 90% which seemed to fit better although I did have to close  up the gap between the letters/number

I used the MA pale blue fuselage number 195 - stencils were copied & enlarged from a 1/72 sheet with mixed results as some looked a bit blocky when enlarged- I also used stencils from the Dynavector decal sheet and even some 1/72 stencils from the spares box which did not look out of  place

I think the next step will be another check over the model and a clear coat to seal all decals and then a bit of subdued staining with emphasis on the aircrafts belly

bye for now

CJP

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi all - I've got to the point where I am calling my Dynavector Scimitar build done -everything I can think of is glued on & painted  

I have made a couple of items of deck equipment as well- the Palouste started pod is from CMK & is nicely detailed and also comes with a small decal sheet.

IMG_1837.jpgIMG_1835.jpgIMG_1836.jpg

The Buddy Refuelling pod is an old Flightpath resin casting that I did some filling & rescribing on  - no decal sheet is provided  & I made the trolley & turbine guard from scratch by referencing the Britmodeller Scimitar walk around photos - I could not find any  scale drawings of the trolley so it is mainly guess work - stencils on the pod are mostly home made with some lift point logos & red eject triangles from old Modeldecal sheets.

It would be nice to see CMK produce one of these to match the standard of their Palouste.

The Brengun Tugmaster is my first attempt at modelling a vehicle - I could not find much in the way of deck tractor close ups to reference for painting either.

IMG_1838.jpgIMG_1839.jpg

The white seals on the windscreen were made from Xtradecal XPS2 Parallel stripes decals

IMG_1833.jpgIMG_1834.jpgIMG-1693.jpg

RFI - https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235093060-dynavector-148-supermarine-scimitar-f1/

CJP

Edited by CJP
text
  • Like 12

12 hours ago, Liberator224J said:

WOWSERS take a huge Bow. realy mindblowin work in there buddy. you truly have done her justice.  what a beauty. 

Thanks Liberator224J - I just posted the RFI - finally got it finished! - took a long time to catch up with you and your Scimitar build!

CJP

34 minutes ago, Scimitar F1 said:

What a great build. Excellent attention to detail and accuracy. You have nailed the wing fold.

Will

Thanks Will -  I  have just posted the RFI.

On 1/22/2021 at 12:03 PM, bootneck said:

Happy Modelling!

Mike

Hi Mike late for Borneo, I joined Bulwark with 845 August '66 just after getting my ToT. Missed out would have loved to have been  a true Junglie.

Colin

Apologies for the hi-jack.

• Like 1

• CJP changed the title to SUPERMARINE SCIMITAR **RFI posted**