Major Overhaul - Stage 3

Ok guys. Here is stage 3. As you can see, since stage 2 was posted sometime ago, I've added a scratch built steel truss with an overhead crane.  The overhead crane is a kit from Walthers. Yes, it is a HO scale railroad kit. But within the parameters of this scale, its usage was perfect. I had to cut and splice the kit to fit the space I needed. I also incorporated some scratch built parts to give it some UMP! :)

If you noticed, one of the mechanics has a remote control that operates the overhead crane. The crane itself was modified to simulate the new changes as it was manually operated by a operator who sat in a cab in the air. So, I justified this by the removal of that cabin and replacing the controls as a remote control device, in the hands of the operator. I have one issue, that I am still working out. It is to get the tension of the crane cables straighten out. It's a little better than before, but you can still see a little kink . Any suggestion let me know. 

I also added a scratch built corrugated siding at both ends of the workshop entries. Added a scratch built flood light at both ends as well. I added a fourth figure, a welder. I am still working at improving my figure painting, so don't hit me over the head, too hard. I know I still need more work. But I can tell, I am improving. :) I am still contemplating, if he should be welding where he is at the moment. I'm looking for other alternatives. so, he is not glued in placed until I've decided.
I've also added more detail in the armor cabin. You can see a wire hanging downwards, that looked it has been strip from whatever it was connected to, after being removed from the body. I thought it would add some interest to the effect of the diorama.

So far that's about it. Will try and take some better photos and post the final look, when I get everything finalized. Thanks for looking.

mo_stage_3-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_1-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_1a-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_1b-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_1c-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_2-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_3-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_3a-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_4-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_5-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_6-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_7-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_8-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_9-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_10-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_11-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_12-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_13-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_14-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_15-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_16-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_16a-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_17-vi.jpg
mo_stage_3_18-vi.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

There's not a lot wrong with that and the welder figure looks fine where he is: I think you might apply heat to a particularly stubborn nut to help release it.

It might be on your to do list, the corrugated walls are fine but look a little plain: could you add some "No Entry" or "Danger" signs by the doors and perhaps a bay number over the door ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Agent K said:

Superb!

Thank you. 

54 minutes ago, Richard E said:

There's not a lot wrong with that and the welder figure looks fine where he is: I think you might apply heat to a particularly stubborn nut to help release it.

It might be on your to do list, the corrugated walls are fine but look a little plain: could you add some "No Entry" or "Danger" signs by the doors and perhaps a bay number over the door ?

Hi Richard. Appreciate your tips. I have been contemplating all these ideas and although it looks plain, signs arw not usually a must, in private own local businesses. I have done some research and have seen a some huge warehouse structures with no sign ot minimum. But I understand what u mean. I will probably add a port sign or two. Thank you do much for your encouraging words. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Wonderful build! How about a magazine or paper on the plastic chair? Also am pretty sure they’d have some fire extinguishers somewhere which might add a splash or colour? Great work! 

Sounds good. 

• Like 1

Masterful works as always, with literally hundreds of fantastic little details! I do agree that some fire extinguishers and a few notices for 'viewing' customers would add some nice dashes of colour to the 'plainer' areas. No-smoking and toilets signs would be believable additions?

You don't mention what those crane cables are made from. They LOOK like metal, but I suspect they are fibre/chord/braid. If that's the case you could pull down on the kinked one to straighten it and then apply thin CA to the area which tends to 'kink'. That SHOULD sort the problem out.

If they ARE metal you'll probably need to take them off the model,  hold the cable tight between two pairs of pliers then hold the kinked section over a candle until glowing red hot, then still stretched tight, dip the cable into cold water. Again, that should do the trick. If you can't remove said cable from the model you could still do similar if you have a helper who can cool the cable quickly with maybe a water-soaked ball of cotton wool? I'd use a cigarette lighter to heat the cable, one of those 'gas-jet' type ones held sideways on. Also, protect the rest of the model from dripping water with a well positioned polythene bag or something.

I hope that helps,

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 8:28 PM, Badder said:

Masterful works as always, with literally hundreds of fantastic little details! I do agree that some fire extinguishers and a few notices for 'viewing' customers would add some nice dashes of colour to the 'plainer' areas. No-smoking and toilets signs would be believable additions?

You don't mention what those crane cables are made from. They LOOK like metal, but I suspect they are fibre/chord/braid. If that's the case you could pull down on the kinked one to straighten it and then apply thin CA to the area which tends to 'kink'. That SHOULD sort the problem out.

If they ARE metal you'll probably need to take them off the model,  hold the cable tight between two pairs of pliers then hold the kinked section over a candle until glowing red hot, then still stretched tight, dip the cable into cold water. Again, that should do the trick. If you can't remove said cable from the model you could still do similar if you have a helper who can cool the cable quickly with maybe a water-soaked ball of cotton wool? I'd use a cigarette lighter to heat the cable, one of those 'gas-jet' type ones held sideways on. Also, protect the rest of the model from dripping water with a well positioned polythene bag or something.

I hope that helps,

Rearguards,

Badder

The cables are the ordinary threaded type, which looks quite convincing when painted and weathered correctly.  I was forced to remove the circular cylinder from the crane hook, and re-aligned the threads ( at least I had a go of trying to straighten them out) . It's a little better, not perfect, but I will add some weights, to see if I can get it to straighten out a little bit more. Perhaps add some CA, to the parts that are kinking, as you described.

• Like 1

Fabulous. It just gets better and better. 

The cables, steel cables do kink. They may have not gone back onto the roller properly, or they are just old. But I like the CA idea, so worth a try.

I'm surprised that no one hit the sides of the doorway and damaged it. Perhaps that area needs a little more dirt and grime?

The welder. That part has been removed. Surely there is a stubborn nut on the main body of the vehicle?

4 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Excellent work, it looks simply fantastic

Glad you like the update Harry.

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Fabulous. It just gets better and better. 

The cables, steel cables do kink. They may have not gone back onto the roller properly, or they are just old. But I like the CA idea, so worth a try.

I'm surprised that no one hit the sides of the doorway and damaged it. Perhaps that area needs a little more dirt and grime?

The welder. That part has been removed. Surely there is a stubborn nut on the main body of the vehicle?

Great idea about the sides of the corrugated sidings being damaged. Will work on it. Thanks Pete. Great ideas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Truly astounding stuff! Well done

ps have revised thought on a paper on the chair how about a couple of manuals- I think it’s almost certain they’d be lying about as they’d need to refer to them during that depth of maintenance rather than doing it from memory- just a thought! 🙂

15 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Truly astounding stuff! Well done

ps have revised thought on a paper on the chair how about a couple of manuals- I think it’s almost certain they’d be lying about as they’d need to refer to them during that depth of maintenance rather than doing it from memory- just a thought! 🙂

I forgot about that. Thank you for reminding me. Will put together something.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Have done some changes since the last update.

1. Re-arranges a couple of the figures

2. Added oil spills and oil absorbents(they are basically materials used to help soak up as much oil spills as possible.

3. Re-arranged the cab and pallets to make room for a forklift(still contemplating if it will remain)

4. Added a couple of fire extinguishers. Will have to add a couple of signs too.

5. I managed to straighten out the kink in the overhead crane. Probably not 100% perfect but way better than in the last update.

Things left to do:

1. Add a figure in the forklift( only if I decided to keep it).

2. Some minute details.

3. A couple of signs.

And whatever comes to mind that will fit the space. Hope you like what you see. Until the next update. Thanks for looking.

d9_diorama_update-vi.jpg
d9_diorama_update_helhet-vi.jpg
d9_diorama_update_helhet2-vi.jpg
d9_diorama_update_helhet3-vi.jpg
_diorama_update_overhead_crane-vi.jpg
d9_diorama_update4-vi.jpg
d9_diorama_update4a-vi.jpg
d9_diorama_update4b-vi.jpg
d9_diorama_update5-vi.jpg
d9_diorama_update8-vi.jpg
d9_diorama_update9-vi.jpg

• Like 1