Humbrol spray paint

danbuoy

Hi,

As well as my plastic kits, I have a side project to repaint (and in some cases slightly modify) some old Matchbox etc diecast into USAF ground support type vehicles, to display with my model aircraft. Some will be green, as used during the 70's and 80's, and some will be blue. For this colour, I am intending to use Humbrol 15 Midnight Blue, with my airbrush, but have seen that Humbrol also do this colour in a spray can, so was wondering if I should just buy one of these? The paint will be sprayed on top of Tamiya light grey primer, after all original paint has been stripped.

On the subject of stripping paint, has anyone done this on diecast, and if so, what did you use? Seem to be lots of options out there, so just after opinions. All parts will be separated beforehand, so it will just be the metal shell to be stripped (read that acetone is good, but destroys plastic).  

• 5 weeks later...

So, I've now used both Humbrol 15 and 163 from spray cans. Really pleased with the finish from the 163, slightly less so from the 15.

Also disappointed at the fact that these cans don't go far. Did just under 5 Matchbox size cars before the 163 ran out. Done 3 so far in the midnight blue but it doesn't feel like there's a lot left in the can. Only place I can get either of these spray cans is online as I've not got a model shop nearby and Hobby Craft don't stock these 2 colours. Originally decided on spray cans as I thought it would be less faff but I think it's time to break out the airbrush and see how I get on with that.

• Like 1