Revell 1:24 Mercedes 540K Cabriolet A

Here is my completed Revell Mercedes 540k.  Not a terrible kit, but a lot of work needed just to get it looking like this.  I was pleased I managed to have the hood interchangeable between up and down, and that the bonnet is removable, but as a result of that it isn't a great fit unfortunately.  Also, this is my first time using my new base/background for photographing cars on.  Its four sheets of A4 card printed at home, then stuck on some 5mm foam board.  Now I have the process perfected I intend to build a few more different scenes.

YaTV5US.jpg

b174fAX.jpg

gfGvGSV.jpg

qwT8zRd.jpg

2pohIS8.jpg

OAlk9z2.jpg

Thanks for looking.  Constructive criticism always welcome, otherwise how do we get better...

• Like 16

It looks very classy. You could make a couple of shots with the car closer up, it's rather small in the first four. That's my constructive criticism 🙂 

• Thanks 1

The Mercedes-Benz 540K is one of my favourite cars, it's such a handsome machine.  I followed your build thread with great interest.  I like how you managed to get the hood to be interchangeable and the bonnet fit doesn't look too bad in your photos.  This looks like a kit I'd like to build (or a similar 1930s car).

• Thanks 1

Looks really good to me, not really much in the way of constructive criticism I can add as you've overcome all those difficulties you encountered really well. The only suggestion I can put forward for anything in future is that perhaps a wash might have given that grille some more depth, but that's probably being picky.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JeroenS said:

It looks very classy. You could make a couple of shots with the car closer up, it's rather small in the first four. That's my constructive criticism 🙂 

Thanks and duly noted.  That probably comes from my photography background (hobby, not a professional by any stretch), try to give the subject space.  But I should probably think more about being able to see the finished model better :)

15 hours ago, johnlambert said:

The Mercedes-Benz 540K is one of my favourite cars, it's such a handsome machine.  I followed your build thread with great interest.  I like how you managed to get the hood to be interchangeable and the bonnet fit doesn't look too bad in your photos.  This looks like a kit I'd like to build (or a similar 1930s car).

Thanks, yeah the bonnet is pretty much spot on at the drivers side, issue is on the passenger side.

15 hours ago, Spiny said:

Looks really good to me, not really much in the way of constructive criticism I can add as you've overcome all those difficulties you encountered really well. The only suggestion I can put forward for anything in future is that perhaps a wash might have given that grille some more depth, but that's probably being picky.

Thanks, wash is another thing I need to work on.  Its something I've tried a few times with little success, so resorted to tried and tested method of ignoring it and not risk ruining a good paint job.  Its one of those things I really should push myself to learn.  In hindsight, the chromed grill on this would have been the perfect spot to test without ruining a good paint job, as I didn't paint the grill...