Humbrol 28 - Matt Camouflage Grey as a low-vis underside?

PaintPot

Hi All

I am currently building the Airfix Jet Provost T.4 (A02107) and I have a question regarding the colours for the (A) scheme - which appears to be a “low-vis” scheme.

The Humbrol number / name suggested for the underside is 28 / Matt Camouflage Grey - which the instructions state is an approximate match to BC381C 626 (Barley Grey).

However, Humbrol 28 is only available as an enamel and I very much prefer to use acrylics (Humbrol ones mostly).

I’m not overly precious about colour accuracy but would at least like to be in the right ballpark

So - my questions really are - does Humbrol 28 sound/look right for this type of scheme based on other's knowledge / experience? If so, can anyone suggest an acrylic alternative. If not, what should be considered the “correct” BS colour?

Many thanks.

P.S. 

I thought maybe the instructions were wrong and I should use Humbrol 167/Satin Barley Grey (which IS available in acrylic) but…

Humbrol 167 is meant to be a match for BS-18-B-21 (or BS639) - so not the same BS number that Airfix are suggesting - nor do these two colours (from the Humbrol tin) look the same - so I suspect the instructions are OK.

I understand that Barley Grey was later renamed to Camouflage grey (in the real world) but that only makes matters more confusing!spacer.png

For aircraft in the most common Air Defence Greys colour schemes at that time Hawk/Phantom/Tornado/some Lightnings Light Aircraft Grey BS381C 627 (Humbrol 166) is usually reported as the more usual colour for undersides.

Camouflage Grey is said to be the official name for Barley Grey which was an upper surface colour although whether it is because there was some change in the formula or whatever I have always thought it looked slightly different on actual aircraft , less of a blue tinge , matt rather than satin , more susceptible to damage but that is perhaps merely a matter  of opinion.

Edited by Des

Don't know about the Provost, but TWU Hawks were in Medium Sea Grey over Barley/Camouflage Grey. The Provost may have well worn the same scheme.

On the modelling side of the matter, unless the formula has changed my experience of Humbrol 28 is that it's a very light grey and as such looks nothing like Barley Grey (using the old name here...). Humbrol 167 on the other hand is supposed to reproduce Barley Grey and is so named on Humbrol's own website. I don't know where the match with 639 of BS381c comes from, this is Light Slate Grey, that is a medium grey-green.

If the undersurfaces colour is indeed Barley Grey on the Provost, then you should be fine with Humbrol 167. Xtracrylics also offer this colour but I remember this being a bit too dark in the past. Lifecolor also offer an acrylic paint supposed to match Barley Grey but IMHO looks nothing like it,

If you like them, Gunze has a good match, but these paints are acrylics of a different kind

The grey scheme that Buccaneers appeared in before their retirement was also Medium Sea Grey over Barley Grey.