Humbrol 28 - Matt Camouflage Grey as a low-vis underside?

PaintPot

Hi All

I am currently building the Airfix Jet Provost T.4 (A02107) and I have a question regarding the colours for the (A) scheme - which appears to be a “low-vis” scheme.

spacer.png

The Humbrol number / name suggested for the underside is 28 / Matt Camouflage Grey - which the instructions state is an approximate match to BC381C 626 (Barley Grey).

However, Humbrol 28 is only available as an enamel and I very much prefer to use acrylics (Humbrol ones mostly).

I’m not overly precious about colour accuracy but would at least like to be in the right ballpark

So - my questions really are - does Humbrol 28 sound/look right for this type of scheme based on other's knowledge / experience? If so, can anyone suggest an acrylic alternative. If not, should be considered the “correct” BS colour?

Many thanks.

P.S. 

I thought maybe the instructions were wrong and I should use Humbrol 167/Satin Barley Grey (which IS available in acrylic) but…

Humbrol 167 is meant to be a match for BS-18-B-21 (or BS639) - so not the same BS number that Airfix are suggesting - nor do these two colours (from the Humbrol tin) look the same - so I suspect the instructions are OK.

I understand that Barley Grey was later renamed to Camouflage grey (in the real world) but that only makes matters more confusing!

It should be BS626 as equivalent to BS4800 18B21 so 167 should be correct. (639 is Light Slate Grey)

The scheme should be Medium Sea Grey over Camouflage Grey. I'm not familiar with 28, but 167 is close. Maybe chosen as it's Matt rather than satin (Although I have a memory that 167 was out of production in the Enamel range)

Edited by Dave Fleming

Many thanks Dave

Just noticed that Hannants make mention of this a/c (XR679) on one of their decal sheets and this agrees with you.

So I think I'm good to go with Humbrol 165 (Medium Sea Grey) over Humbrol 167 (RAF Barley Grey [aka Camouflage Grey]) - both of which are in the Humbrol Acrylic range - and which hand-paint beautifully (IMHO🙂

You're right, no mention of an enamel 167 at Humbrol.com at the moment - how ironic - maybe just out of stock?

P.S. I thought that BS4800 18B21 might be synonymous with BS639 as it is mentioned in this context here: https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/search?q=Barley+Grey

Thanks again

Steve

spacer.png

I don't know if humbrol 28 is of accurate for the JP scheme but I have used Humbrol enamels 165 Medium Sea Grey & 167 Barley Grey(aka camouflage grey?), both available in the humbrol acrylic range.

49945851686_08e6df2975.jpg

#28 is closer to Light Aircraft Grey #166  

Thanks for all the answers folks - its great to be posting again after a 9 year break - I'll try not to start the same topic under two different threads next time...☺️ Yes, you will find this topic elsewhere...

• 1 year later...
On 28/05/2020 at 18:45, PaintPot said:

You're right, no mention of an enamel 167 at Humbrol.com at the moment - how ironic - maybe just out of stock?

Just to follow up, the decal/paint scheme artist has confirmed that 28 was chosen as 167 was out of production