SD.Kfz. 253 in D.A.K. service Lybia 1941

Hi All.

Here my Sd.Kfz 253 as a conversion from Tamiya Sd.Kfz. 250/3 (ref. kit n. 35113) using plastic cards and Evergreen stripes. Dragon 253 at that time was not on the market.

I also used Model Kasten working tracks, photo-etched from Show Modelling set for Sd.Kfz. 250/10 and position devices from Show Mod­elling. The rear plate is from Aber.   

I scratchbuilt a lot of parts as those from the original kit were out of scale, missing or uncorrect.

The construc­tion featuring:

1.       Front squared mudguards as early version: Tamiya model had late version round ones

2.       Double engine access hatchs (I remade as Tamiya were too "heavy")

3.       Early hubs drive sprockets: Tamiya model had late version ones

4.       New roof on the fighting compartment   

5.       New round split hatch

6.       New hinged halves with their single small flaps (a very hard work!)

7.       New rectangular flap hatch

8.       Antenna protection and his guide on compartment roof to recover it when folded

9.       Wire rope device on the rear deck

10.   Bolt lines on the rear lower hull

11.   The idler wheels were repositioned in order to obtain a better and more realistic tracks tension

12.   The welding line on panels.

I deleted front lights (as I assume they were damaged in African teather) and scratchbuild Notek ligth support and other tools supports.

Then I added four bolts both on right side and rear access door vision slot. I removed the circular plate on frontal armour leaving visible the gap. At the end I added step for the rear access door, support for water tank and rings on front hooks. 

Camouflage and marking

I’d like to represent a le.Beob.Pz.Wg belonged to 21^ Panzer Division during the 1941 Lybian campaign.

In that period German vehicles were issued with overall european Dunkelgrau. This way made tanks and other vehicles in a strong contrast with the african surrounds even at long distance. On the other hand the so-called sand (or african) yellow was in a little shortage. So I applied a camoflaged scheme that in the crew intention saved sand yellow and concealed the ve­hicle from a frontal view. I sprayed the whole model with a dark blue from Humbrol (Humbrol panzer grau is, in my opinion, too dark and not very accurate). Then I added the camo scheme spraying a pale yellow from Humbrol only on frontal plate and sides. The “wear and tears” effect was achieved with the same dark blue and some different coloured (brown, rust and white) powders. The divisional and tactical insigna came from Verlinden range and were applied be­fore the camo scheme was sprayed using masking tape from Tamiya. The white identification stripes on water tank was masked off with Tamiya tape too (at that time Eduard accessories were not avalaible).

Unfortunately I fogot to add some dust under mudguards annd tracks.

One of these days I'll hope to add some Alpine figures😀 

References

-       Sturm und Drang, Sdkfz 250/251 (*)

-       The tank magazine, n. 02 German Armored Personal Carrier.

-       Militar’s Kits Hors Series, n. 01 Sd.Kfz. 250, MK Editions

-       Wydawnictwo Militaria, n. 19 Sd.Kfz 250

-       Schutzenpanzer, Ryton Publications (*)

-       Tamiya Model Magazine, n. 53 April/May 1996 (*) 

(*) Highly recommended

Sorry for bad pictures!

Hope you like.

Ciao

Filippo

VPS3tOz.jpg

Yh2xyi0.jpg

BVyZwvB.jpg

QiUaItr.jpg

S14kOLf.jpg

6Hng7Yn.jpg

sBapAtH.jpg

2mDjHOk.jpg

w41wCRK.jpg

CYhvrAQ.jpg

8o3Z7lV.jpg

vGP5Ryr.jpg

RqmRvcq.jpg

9ttuF3J.jpg

t4vHzSh.jpg

kQLWEfZ.jpg

• Like 13

Filippo
Very nice finish, I enjoyed reading your background to the finish and lack of available paints.  While not an armor expert I appreciate the changes you made to back date the model to a more realistic period. 

Charlie 

• Like 1

Hi Filippo, excellent work, don't know enough about the 253 to comment on accuracy but it certainly looks right.

Superb modelling, nice to make something unique, the updates and scratch built items have really added an extra level of finess to the old tamiya kit. The paintwork and weathering has complemented it nicely, the staining, chipping, scratching and generally dusty finish has worked really well.

Great work.:goodjob:

Darryl

• Like 1

Hi Charlie and Darryl, many thanks for your kind work. I have to admit this 253 is one of my favourite models🤩!

Ciao

Filippo 

Certainly looks the part, great work. I really like the thought that they’d only paint the front with the paint shortage-makes you stop and think about the story the model tells 

• Thanks 1

Perfect desert camouflage! Thank you for realising that not all DAK vehicles were painted sand yellow. When arriving in Africa early tanks etc. were painted Panzergrau, and many got never changed. My father arrived on 27 July 1941 with PzRgt 8 and carried on until captured by US Forces in Tunisia.

Modello meraviglioso Filippo!

• Thanks 1