Belgian Blackbird

Just completed a remarkably quick build - for me!

This is the old Heller 1/72 Mirage III E/R/5BA kit.

Belgian Air force Mirage 5BA BA-33 No.1 Sqn 1987

No.1 Sqn 70th Anniversary scheme.

I used the Pavla cockpit set, which fit perfectly but the canopy despite being clearer than the kit canopy wasn't used as I didn't regard it as a perfect fit.

Decals are from the Modeldecal sheet 92 which is now 33 years old. The decals were a nightmare as all the adhesive backing to the decals has gone off, so when you soften them in water, I had to clean white scum off each decal as it would have shown on the model. I guess this is what happens to old decals?

Anyone else had similar experiences with the old Modeldecal sheets? I've now got quite a colection with some more subjects to use up & hope I don't get the same experience again!

I rescibed most of the prominent fuselage & wing panel lines & added a piece of brass rod for the nose pitot tube.

Airbrushed Tamiya X1 gloss black which went on really nicely.

49944383088_df47da06cc_c.jpg

49944379423_fc85864279_c.jpg

49944881816_dff4ab17bf_c.jpg

49944881761_927cd3d291_c.jpg

49945174932_a230512704_c.jpg

49944881711_218beae5a8_c.jpg

49945175047_74362254da_c.jpg

49944888691_ce5a7e7bf5_c.jpg

Many thanks for looking! 🙂

• Like 43

Beautiful scheme, thanks for posting!

(I have to say, and I'm not at all disappointed, but was gearing up to have my mind blown by the little-known SR-71 in Belgian Air Force service..)

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Bangseat said:

Beautiful scheme, thanks for posting!

(I have to say, and I'm not at all disappointed, but was gearing up to have my mind blown by the little-known SR-71 in Belgian Air Force service..)

Cheers mate!

Imagine!!!! 😆😆

9 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Stunning ! A beautiful build and finish on the old Heller !

Wulfman

Many thanks!!

Martin

Excellent paint and decal application! I would have gone bonkers trying to apply the tiny decals.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Excellent paint and decal application! I would have gone bonkers trying to apply the tiny decals.

Cheers mate, I was pleased with the paint as I'd never used it before!

I spent a whole afternoon applying them awful decals & it helps to be certified bonkers already! 🤪

• Haha 1

That looks fantastic. I've a bit of a thing for Belgian subjects but this is one I'd not considered, till I saw this & guess what, I've got that decal sheet. Do Heller still do their Mirage kit? :)

Steve.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That looks fantastic. I've a bit of a thing for Belgian subjects but this is one I'd not considered, till I saw this & guess what, I've got that decal sheet. Do Heller still do their Mirage kit? :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I think Hannants have it in stock. Let me know how you get on with that decal sheet. It looks ok until you dip it in water, then white scum just goes everywhere. I had to actually clean the stuff off the backside of the decal with a soft brush.

• Like 1

That’s gorgeous... I love bright bold subjects so this ticks all the boxes, plus it’s a Mirage, possibly the most beautiful jet ever produced. Which Modeldecal sheet are these decals from? I only discovered the other day I had Belgium CF-100 decals so I might even have this set too.

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Which Modeldecal sheet are these decals from?

#92 Dave, its main subject is Meteor night/all weather fighters. As @Lightningboy2000 mentioed above, Hannants still have them. I know where there's another one but it isn't for sale. ;) :D 

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Thanks 1

Ha... actually Steve, I know I’ve got both Meteor NF sheets so these Mirage decals should be in my vast decal bank somewhere... now where’s that Heller Mirage?? I know I’ve got one of these as well. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, F-32 said:

Stunning job!

Only this morning I came across a picture of this airframe in an old Osprey book I have

Fantastic shot that! Yes I've got that book - by my mate Bob Archer "Combat Colours"

Modeldecal do that "Milkyway" 2.Sqn jet as well on sheet 96.

• Like 1

Another fantastic Mirage from your bench Martin.  You are on a roll.

I'm glad you had the patience you overcome those decals, your Blackbird is a winner.

Cheers,

Zhizhou

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Lightning,

Despite your decal problems, this model is a topper on what I have seen sofar today.

I will send it on to my friends from the belgium Modelclub at eeklo.

They will be delighted with this model.

Regards, Orion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Hello Lightning,

Despite your decal problems, this model is a topper on what I have seen sofar today.

I will send it on to my friends from the belgium Modelclub at eeklo.

They will be delighted with this model.

Regards, Orion.

Much appreciated Orion! Big fan of your B.A.F. history & all the flamboyant color & anniversary schemes.

Used a few photos from a very good color book called "Belgian Special Colours" by Jack Bosma & Cor Van Gent.

Any more good reference books suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers & all the best!

Martin

4 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautiful work on that old kit.  Did you re-scribe the panel lines?  Sure looks like it.

Thank you very much! 

I did sand off all the main raised lines and rescribed, but only the main bits, didn't go mad.

That looks really good. I’ve had that white sediment issue with Modeldecals a few times. My solution is to hold the decal in tweezers and rinse it in water to remove the white. The decals are fairly robust thankfully but it is a bit tedious to have to do that even with the smallest of stencils. I then put the decal on over fresh wet Klear and press it down as usual. I then put another coat of Klear on top to seal it into the surface. It usually eliminates slivering as well.

• Like 2