Jump to content

1/72 - Grumman TBM-3S2, TBM-3R and AS.4 Avenger by Sword Models (new variants) - released


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

After the TBM-3W Guppy (link), Sword Models is to release new Grumman Avenger variants

https://www.facebook.com/swordmodels/posts/256373042442580

 

Expected late June 2020: 

 

- ref. SW72130 - Grumman Avenger AS.4

Source: https://swordmodel.cz/en/home/151-sw72130-avenger-as4.html

 

sw72130-avenger-as4.jpg

 

- ref. SW72131 -  Grumman TBM-3S2 Avenger

Source: https://swordmodel.cz/en/home/152-sw72131-tbm-3s2.html

 

sw72131-tbm-3s2.jpg

 

- ref. SW72132 -  Grumman TBM-3R Avenger

Source: https://swordmodel.cz/en/home/153-sw72132-tbm-3r.html

 

sw72132-tbm-3r.jpg

 

V.P.

 

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent news, can't wait to build a late AS.5/ECM.6!  I've been trying to source a conversion set for the Hase kit, but failing miserably!

It looks like Sword have clocked all the canopy changes, of which they are many and varied.

 

The Royal Navy boxing shown should be an AS.5/ECM.6, the AS.4 being the more familiar turret equipped Avenger. 

It is pictured as XB446 383 wearing the 'Flook' character, which was an 831 Squadron ECM.6 based at Culdrose, 1958.  This is the Avenger currently preserved in spurious markings at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

 

Really hoping that Canadian AS.3 and 3M ECM versions follow!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh dear, more FAA aircraft heading for the stash!

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Kit manufacturers seem determined to make money from me. I thought thus year was going to be quiet and more good stuff keeps appearing. Still Dave at Halifax Modellers World will be happy. Looks like a decent post war FAA Avenger. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mr T said:

Kit manufacturers seem determined to make money from me. I thought thus year was going to be quiet and more good stuff keeps appearing.

Yep, like a sucker I've fallen for it too, finally I won't  need to be torn about which markings to use!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2020 at 10:34 AM, 71chally said:

 

The Royal Navy boxing shown should be an AS.5/ECM.6, the AS.4 being the more familiar turret equipped Avenger. 

 

 

AS5 had the turret too, but a different underwing radar pod

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Mr T said:

 Kit manufacturers seem determined to make money from me. I thought thus year was going to be quiet and more good stuff keeps appearing.

Yes, another bad year to give up buying kits.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Will the RN one be eligible for Op Musketeer markings, I seem to recall Hasegawa did one years ago though I've never seen it?

Steve.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Will the RN one be eligible for Op Musketeer markings, I seem to recall Hasegawa did one years ago though I've never seen it?

Steve.

 

No, those were AS4s with the gun turrets.

 

The French AEW ones had stripes, which you can do from the earlier issue of the Sword kit

 

SW72115.jpg?t=1522143152

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Yes, another bad year to give up buying kits.

Does remind of 'Airplane' with Lloyd Bridges trying go give up everything

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Does remind of 'Airplane' with Lloyd Bridges trying go give up everything

I see you are a man of culture and refinement.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Will the RN one be eligible for Op Musketeer markings, I seem to recall Hasegawa did one years ago though I've never seen it?

Steve.

You're correct Steve, I have that boxing of the Hasegawa kit, interestingly, it has the Royal Navy markings painted on the bomb bay doors, I'm guessing they were relocated there because the Musketeer stripes over painted the normal legends.

16 minutes ago, Dave Fleming said:

 

No, those were AS4s with the gun turrets.

 

The French AEW ones had stripes, which you can do from the earlier issue of the Sword kit

 

SW72115.jpg?t=1522143152

There was a thread about the FAA AS.4's used in Musketeer a few years back.  They were apparently used for COD duties, see this thread here

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

AS5 had the turret too, but a different underwing radar pod

I know that as delivered, but it started out as an AS.5, the boxing is with the long canopy and the markings depict it as an ECM.6.  It wasn't an AS.4 as the box says.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can probably talk myself out of one then, like as not they'll be sold out before I could get one shipped this way too. :(

Steve.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I can probably talk myself out of one then, like as not they'll be sold out before I could get one shipped this way too. :(

Steve.

 

If you specifically want to do an Operation Musketeer aircraft then yes, as James ( @71chally  ) says, the long canopy is often associated with the Mk.6 but I can't say whether that was exclusively so.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that some AS.4s and AS.5s got the long canopy conversion making them all AS.5s, any of these converted for ECM work were ECM.6s.  XB446 did start out as a 5 though.

These are my favourite Avengers but they are a minefield as that long canopy is actually subtly different between some of the different air arms, as an example the Royal Navy, Canadian Navy and JASDF (boxed by Hasegawa) all have minor differences to each other.  I think that Scottish Aviation might have undertaken the UK conversions.

The French Aeronavale and Brazil also operated these types.

 

Nice page with photos of the Dutch Avengers here,

https://www.ipms.nl/artikelen/nedmil-luchtvaart/vliegtuigen-g/vliegtuigen-g-grumman-avenger

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

I've never seen an AS4 or 5 with the long canopy. (AS5s had the UK ASV.19A radar in the large pod under the starboard wing, RN pilots notes confirm that was the difference between them)  I believe they all retained the turret (but not always guns).

 

The mk 6s conversions were done at Gosport. I believe there were only 8 of these (XB311, 328, 360, 364, 375, 376, 444, 446) . There is a question as to whether the AS6 actually existed as a designation or if they all went straight to ECM6

 

Must see if I can find the Air Britain Militaria article, published around 200/2001 if I recall

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

 

I've never seen an AS4 or 5 with the long canopy. (AS5s had the UK ASV.19A radar in the large pod under the starboard wing, RN pilots notes confirm that was the difference between them)  I believe they all retained the turret (but not always guns).

 

The mk 6s conversions were done at Gosport. I believe there were only 8 of these (XB311, 328, 360, 364, 375, 376, 444, 446) . There is a question as to whether the AS6 actually existed as a designation or if they all went straight to ECM6

 

Must see if I can find the Air Britain Militaria article, published around 200/2001 if I recall

I have the Magna conversion for later FAA Avengers, it provides a number of b&w profiles for a number of aircraft, they are:

 

AS.4 XB374/981-B from Bulwark's Ship's Flight 1956 (the aforementioned Musketeer striped aircraft), that has a turret.

 

TS.5 XB383/797-GN, 745NAS, Eglinton, 1956-57, that too has a turret (the TS designation has always puzzled me).

 

AS.6 XB375/382, 831NAS, Culdrose 1958-59, this is the same aircraft as in Modeldecal Sheet 18 when it was based at Watton in 1958, given that 831NAS was the Pugwash equivalent of the Royal Air Force's 360 Sqn, I'm surprised this isn't designated as an ECM.6 (as Dave notes, the AS.6 designation may be unofficial).  This the modified canopy. 

 

ECM.6 XB446/992, Culdrose Station Flight 1960, this has the modified canopy.

 

AS.5 XB308/387-Z, 815NAS, 1955, this has a turret.

 

Finally, the Freightdog conversion features XB446 when it was 383 of 849NAS at Culdrose 1in 1958, it had the modified canopy by that point.

 

So from this little lot, only the Mk6's had modified canopies and there were differences in the framing so pictures are essential.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Wez said:

 

TS.5 XB383/797-GN, 745NAS, Eglinton, 1956-57, that too has a turret (the TS designation has always puzzled me).

 

Finally, the Freightdog conversion features XB446 when it was 383 of 849NAS at Culdrose 1in 1958, it had the modified canopy by that point.

That's probably just a typo, XB383 was an AS.5.

When XB446 was 383 it was with 831 NAS, not seen any record of 849 operating Avengers in that era.

 

I was desperately seeking that Freightdog conversion and could never find it, not a problem now of course!

Edited by 71chally
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 71chally said:

That's probably just a typo, XB383 was an AS.5.

It's a typo that occurred more than once then, I'm guessing with 745NAS being a training unit it may have been assumed it was a trainer version but that may have just been an enthusiasts designation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe modified, some turreted Avengers carried an ECM device looking like a can on legs under the fwd bomb bay doors, but definitely delivered as an AS.5.  745 was a trials unit, similar to the RAFs' ASWDU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Maybe modified, some turreted Avengers carried an ECM device looking like a can on legs under the fwd bomb bay doors, but definitely delivered as an AS.5.  745 was a trials unit, similar to the RAFs' ASWDU.

The one in the profile has that very device, it's a part of the Magna conversion parts - something I've never been brave enough to tackle!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Their current Avenger AEWs are only £12 on the Sword site, is it me or is that a bargain in this day and age?

Hopefully this will be the same price.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...