1/72 - Grumman TBM-3S2/R/U/W, AS.4, Mk.I, TBF.1 Avenger/Tarpon/Guppy by Sword Models - released

Homebee

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

I assumed it to be the underwing ASV.19 pod. 

The bomb door mounted dustbin radome seems to be to the right if it

Turns out it’s the searchlight for under the port wing of the Dutch example. The AN/APS -4 pod for the starboard wing is on the right hand side next to the cowl ring

• 3 weeks later...

Schemes

- ref. SW72130 - Grumman Avenger AS.4

Source: https://swordmodel.cz/en/home/151-sw72130-avenger-as4.html

sw72130-avenger-as4.jpg

- ref. SW72131 -  Grumman TBM-3S2 Avenger

Source: https://swordmodel.cz/en/home/152-sw72131-tbm-3s2.html

sw72131-tbm-3s2.jpg

- ref. SW72132 -  Grumman TBM-3R Avenger

Source: https://swordmodel.cz/en/home/153-sw72132-tbm-3r.html

sw72132-tbm-3r.jpg

V.P.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 10:11 PM, Truro Model Builder said:

What a shame they haven't included markings for the totally incorrectly WW2-painted AS.6 without ball turret in the Fleet Air Arm Museum... (removes tongue from inside cheek)

Martin go to the naughty step.

• Haha 2

I'm not too familiar with FAA Avengers in general. Like many US aircraft used by the RN, there appear to be numerous variants, not all of which are aligned with their US manufacture, nor are they too well documented!

I'd like to add one of these to my huge stash (and probably will no matter) but the kit description is confusing. Is is an AS.4 or an ECM.6? From what I've gleaned from references, including the one linked below, AS.4's retained their turrets with guns probably removed.

I'm assuming the box title may be a reference to the ESM.6 being a conversion of an AS.4 air frame, but I don't think an AS.4 (or even AS.5) can be made out of the box.

Edge

The information is quite vague on the 'net, and it hasn't helped that some publications have got it wrong in the past.

The Royal Navy acquired 100 TBM-3E Avengers post-war, due to development delays with the Gannet.

They operated it as two types, the AS.4 which had the ASH radar pod in a slim pod under the stb'd wing, and the AS.5 which had ASV.19 in a large teardrop prod under the stb'd wing, I would guess there were other equipment changes associated with the radars.

Both of these types came in one batch and their serials reflect this.

The ECM.6 (also seen described as ECM.5 & AS.6) was an Electronic Counter Measures version converted from the AS.4s &5s.  This conversion involved removing the gun turret and fitting of the long glazing across the top, adding a dustbin radome to the fwd bomb doors, and various other antenna that came and went.

The Avenger ECM.6 depicted in the kit, XB446, was originally an AS.5.

These pics show AS.4 XB311 before and after,

cba1732c613297058cd992ae61900a71.jpg

https://www.airphotographicinternational.com/products/xb311-grumman-avenger-ecm-6royal-navyabbotsinch-1963

9a1bf502b32b638374705f7fa052f671.jpg

You won't be able to make the AS.4/5 from the box without reverse conversion, but other TBM-3E kits would be a good basis for these.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave, I looked at both last night and although it might be an easier build, the Hasegawa kit is less detailed, especially around the cockpit area. The parts breakdown is different in terms of wheelwells, tail planes and other areas. Also I reckon Sword might to a TBM-3 looking at some of the cockpitparts as a turret ring is there. 

• Like 2

On 8/12/2020 at 9:39 PM, 71chally said:

It's great to see that Sword have recognised the various rear canopy configurations of this family of Avengers, it would have been so easy just to have just done one type.

Modeldecal sheet 18 notes that there were two different configurations on FAA ECM6s - one with the rear cockpit clear overall (XB375 on that sheet) and one with a solid section and bulges (as per  XB446 in the kit.) A quick look suggests both are possible from the kit

5 hours ago, Mr T said:

Hi Dave, I looked at both last night and although it might be an easier build, the Hasegawa kit is less detailed, especially around the cockpit area. The parts breakdown is different in terms of wheelwells, tail planes and other areas. Also I reckon Sword might to a TBM-3 looking at some of the cockpitparts as a turret ring is there. 

The ECM 6 retained the turret ring - there is a photo elsewhere on here showing a pic of the FAA museum example

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

Ah well, it was a bit of a long shot, perhaps Airfix will oblige. The Sword kit looks nice though, wants me to build it. The caption for the FAA version says 831 Sqn Syerston 1958. At the time the Avengers were based at RAF Watton in Norfolk and so it could have in the static at that years BoB display. I would have seen it then, although being four and a half my only memory of the event is a pillar of smoke from the Vulcan testbed breakup. Looking at the link, I see a reference to  a Modeldecal sheet and a scan of the instructions. One of the photos shows a sister aircraft at Waddingtons BoB display. I wonder if 831 sent their Avengers to some of the nearer displays that year. 

Edited by Mr T
Revised some content
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Ah well, it was a bit of a long shot, perhaps Airfix will oblige. The Sword kit looks nice though, wants me to build it. 

I wouldn't bet against it, they are 3/4 of the way there!

Re Syerston, you may be right!

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1463877

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1462153

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1462067

Edited by Dave Fleming

Sword have even noticed that the RCN Avenger AS.3s have two different canopy designs, and have include done of each in two different boxings.

I really hope that @belcherbits might consider doing parts for the MAD boom equipped RCN Avengers, and maybe even the hightop below it,

General-Motors--Grumman--TBM-3-Avenger--

hightop-avengers-pettipas-pg-62.jpeg?w=5

These are from this excellent resource for Canadian Avengers,

http://silverhawkauthor.com/canadian-warplanes-5-the-post-war-piston-era-general-motors-grumman-tbm3e-avenger-rcn_690.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

The caption for the FAA version says 831 Sqn Syerston 1958. At the time the Avengers were based at RAF Watton in Norfolk and so it could have in the static at that years BoB display. I would have seen it then, although being four and a half my only memory of the event is a pillar of smoke from the Vulcan testbed breakup. Looking at the link, I see a reference to  a Modeldecal sheet and a scan of the instructions. One of the photos shows a sister aircraft at Waddingtons BoB display. I wonder if 831 sent their Avengers to some of the nearer displays that year. 

The Syreston thing relates to the fact that it appeared at the airshow there, as you and Dave have deduced, Sword did a similar thing with a 'Lakenheath' based Lightning!

831 NAS Avengers (as per the kit) were never Watton based, 831 Squadron moved to Watton in mid 1963, the Avengers having been replaced by Gannets in 1960 while they were still at Culdrose.

XB446 itself remained at Culdrose to serve on the Station Flight, and ended becoming the last Avenger in FAA service.

751 NAS with Avengers were Watton based up to Oct 1957.

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

The Syreston thing relates to the fact that it appeared at the airshow there, as you and Dave have deduced, Sword did a similar thing with a 'Lakenheath' based Lightning!

Airfix did the same with their Jet Provost T3 and T4 kits

• Like 1

I've yet to have answers re-internal arrangements post AS/ECM FAA conversion from TBM-3E and I've yet to see drawings/clear photos of the ASV.19A radar pod.

Photos and production details for post war FAA Avengers can be found in Air-Britain Aeromilitaria Vol 27 issues 107 (pt 1) and 108 (pt 2) Autumn/Winter 2001