Substitute to Revell 99

TitouanB

Hello everybody !

I am currently building a 1/32th MK.IXc Spitfire from Revell (it is so beautiful).

I want to do my finish on the plane aluminium. It has this option in the default instructions, using revell "aluminium metallic" paint, number 99.

On the charts, it converts to Tamiya XF-56, Metallic Grey, that I own, but this is so dark i do not want to use this. The closest I have is Tamiya X-11, Chrome Silver, but i cannot seem to get a good finish, as this chrome effect is too shiny for the plane. 

I do not have any store nearby where I can buy Revell paint, and so I am kind of blocked, as I don't want to redo all the paint multiple times. Do you have any ideas on how to make that sweet aluminium finish ? Maybe brushing in one way with the chrome silver to make like a brushed metal look? I do not own an airbrush, so it is all brush painted. The photos does not look at all as in real life, so I won't even bother posting them, it will just be misleading for you !

Thank you, if you can save me I will be so happy !

Titouan

1 hour ago, wongataa said:

Tamiya XF16 flat aluminium?

Tamiya TS17 gloss aluminium?

Tamiya AS12 bare metal silver?

Use satin/gloss/matt clear coats to get the shine you want?

Thank you for the answer. I tried doing multiple coat of x11 chrome silver, I will try with a gloss finish. if it is too "shiny", I will try to find one of the ones you mentioned! 

XF-16 is more aluminium paint (like a silver metallic painted car) rather than stripped bare metal which is what the finish of the real MJ250 was.  Except for the rudder and elevators which were painted aluminium (silver) dope as they were fabric.  I like XF-16 (whereas some others think the metallic grain is too coarse for model metallic paint finish) but not for bare metal.  My experience of Revell 99 is that it's meant more for the silver metallic paint look too, rather than metal.

If you can't get to a model shop, it may be worth trying some metallic sprays from a hardware shop?  Or even try aluminium adhesive tape.

10 hours ago, malpaso said:

XF-16 is more aluminium paint (like a silver metallic painted car) rather than stripped bare metal which is what the finish of the real MJ250 was.  Except for the rudder and elevators which were painted aluminium (silver) dope as they were fabric.  I like XF-16 (whereas some others think the metallic grain is too coarse for model metallic paint finish) but not for bare metal.  My experience of Revell 99 is that it's meant more for the silver metallic paint look too, rather than metal.

If you can't get to a model shop, it may be worth trying some metallic sprays from a hardware shop?  Or even try aluminium adhesive tape.

Won't I lose all the details with aluminium tape ? I could give it a try if i find a way to "iron" it, to keep all the sweet rivets