A6M3-22-Red 186- 582nd Flying Group

I started this back in March and set it aside. I am going to now finish it while I wait on

my F-4B Phantom project now stalled out. This plane will be a 2 tone scheme, gray over

green. The "gray" is actually more of an aotake color, a tannish color. I am using the kit

decals and will leave the canopy open. I have the bottom painted and am now finishing

up masking to do the upper dark green color. Here is how the kit evolved to now.---John

J6msfZY.jpg

OVRzTg1.jpg

Iukfra0.jpg

ggZqXws.jpg

aUQ7QIc.jpg

q633t6b.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, I just painted the topside dark green. Before I painted it I transferred some marks

on the wings where the "wheels down" indicators rods will go. I took the dimensions and

location off my old trusty Tamiya 1/48 A6M2 PH Zero. I often wondered why Hasegawa

never gave these on their Zeros. When it's all dried up I will take off the masks and scratch

build the fore mentioned indicator rods.---John

62Rea6S.jpg

• Like 4

Wheels and gear doors on, engine installed and I just put the yellow leading edge wing decals on.

I had some old 1/48 Tamiya A6M2 decals and they had leading edge yellow stripes so I decided to

try them, too lazy to paint. They look pretty good, they were old so I had to do some patching but

it looks acceptable to my eye.---John

r0LB5K0.jpg

PcsfRi4.jpg

Fast work!

What paints did you use? That J3 ash grey for instance.. 

(Aotake is the name for the interior protective coating - that blue-green semi-metallic stuff).

• Like 1

You are right, I meant ameiro NOT aotake, had a "senior moment". I used Tamiya TS-68

wooden deck tan for the tannish ameiro bottom color and Tamiya AS-21 dark green 2

IJN for the upper color. Aotake was called "the blue bamboo color" as I remember when I

built my first Tamiya 1/48 A6M2 in the early 90s.---John

• Like 1

I scratch built the landing gear position rods for the top of the wings from

.020" plastic card. Now to paint them red.---John

xdvn7Fp.jpg

AiYs6HC.jpg

Done, I think the gloss cote should be set up good enough to start decaling this

weekend. Florida humidity and Testors glosscote don't mix. I did not gain much

by moving to Florida after retiring except I don't really miss shoveling 3 foot snow

storms.---John

pWhTwUo.jpg

• Like 1

The decals are done, prop and cowl on. I need to add the mid canopy, antenna mast, pitot tube, gun

barrels to the front fuselage then dullcote and add the antenna wire.---John

Rczc04v.jpg

6CyIFgq.jpg

• Like 2