Which Heinkel on Gneisenau before the Ar196 in 1939?

KRK4m

Most sources do agree that Ar 196 floatplanes appeared on Scharnhorst and Gneisenau catapults in late 1939, thus after introducing the Atlantic (or clipper) bow. However it remains unclear which biplanes equipped these two battlecruisers immediately before the Arado monoplanes.

There are several pictures showing various floatplanes on Gneisenau deck, including the He 60, He 114 and Fw 62. But these are mostly prototypes and the photos are from 1938 (still with original bow). Are there any pictures (or written documents) known of the floatplanes used as the regular (i.e. belonging to the military unit) equipment in 1939? Some sources say that they were He 60s, while others mention He 114s there.

So where's the true?

Cheers

Michael   

In the book German Naval Camouflage Volume One, 1939-1941 ISBN 978-1-84832-142-7 there are colour plates of the Gneisenau showing that he operated the prototype  He-114 in May 1938 and that several different aircraft were tested up to 1939. On the next page it describes that the first batch of Arado Ar-196A were delivered to  the Luftwaffe in 1939  and one was aboard during the summer visits to foreign ports in the summer of 1939.

• Like 1

Thank you for the interest. I also have seen several pictures of various planes dislayed on Gneisenau catapults in 1938-39 period.

And this is the reason I'm asking for any documents, as these pictures are unable to build the true story.

Cheers

Michael

My sources, generally elderly, have both Bordfliegerstaffel equipped with the He.60 in 1938.  On Gneisenau, trials were carried out with two different He.114 but these were unsatisfactory.  The He.114 did not go on to equip Bordfliegerstaffel.  In 1939 He.60 was replaced by the Ar.196.  I can only find  even a bried account to the He.114 trials on Gneisenau in one reference, but the others agree that the He.114 was not regarded as a success, and I don't think that this is regarded as controversial.  There is a reference to four such aircraft being prepared for commerce raiders but no account of their experiences.

The account of the He.114 in the more recent thorough history of Luftwaffe maritime operations, Eagles over the Sea (volume 1), has no mention of any onboard service with warhips, 

• Thanks 1