Roden 1/144 C-47, Norwegian Air Force, Kings flight, from the Nordic GB

I present my recently completed 1/144 scale Roden C-47, in the markings of the aircraft used by 335 squadron RNAF to transport the King of Norway, during the early 1960's.

The model was built as part of the Nordic GB, but missed the deadline due to some last minute issues with the decals, which were rectified very promptly by Vingtor..

The full WIP can be seen here

Having built several DC-3's in this scale before (both minicraft), I think the Roden offering has the edge, in terms of looks and accuracy.

Wheel wells were fully detailed internally using scrap card and rod, aerials and under fuselage radar bumps were scratch built.

Paints used included Alclad Hi-shine plus Aluminium, Alclad White, MRP Luminous Orange, black and yellow. The dark blue trim on both engines and the fuselage cheatline were airbrushed using Revell Lufthansa Blue enamel. Decals are from Vingtor sheet 144-124. Although this sheet does give the cheatline, on my initial set, I experienced some cracking due to me having one of a small number of a bad batch. Vingtor were able to help me subsequently, but by that time I had already reverted to airbrushing the cheatline. I'm very pleased with the way the cheatline has come out however!

IMG20200527133939

IMG20200527133530 IMG20200527133701 IMG20200527133522 IMG20200527133537 IMG20200527133817 IMG20200527133707 IMG20200527133513 IMG20200527133557 IMG20200527133809 IMG20200527133610 IMG20200527133551 IMG20200527133604 IMG20200527133827 IMG20200527133902 IMG20200527133909 IMG20200527133834 IMG20200527133846 IMG20200527134052

And finally, here she is with her older stablemates:

IMG20200527134152 IMG20200527134328

Thanks to all those who followed the GB, and special thanks to @trickyrich, @Col. and @Vingtor for their support and help!

Comments and questions welcome

Thanks for looking.

Terry

• Like 41
  • Thanks 2

Hi Terry,

Wow that is awesome! Seriously impressed with your masking for that blue line, so sharp and crisp, and that luminous orange sure packs a punch!

Have to agree with you re the Roden kit I think it's about as good as you can get. Which reminds me I ought to dig out my BEA and BOAC builds and finish them.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Terry,

Wow that is awesome! Seriously impressed with your masking for that blue line, so sharp and crisp, and that luminous orange sure packs a punch!

Have to agree with you re the Roden kit I think it's about as good as you can get. Which reminds me I ought to dig out my BEA and BOAC builds and finish them.

Cheers,

Ian

“Roden” & “about as good as it gets” are words I never thought I’d see in the same sentence. 

Pete

Edited by Buzby061
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, jhutchi said:

Lovely looking C-47.

I really like the shot with the trio at the end 

Thanks. Yes the three go well together. I have two more in the stash, so more to come at some point.

18 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Bravo! Excellent fit and finish!

The C-47 is my favorite aircraft! 

Thanks! The C-47 is certainly an attractive aircraft I agree.

18 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I echo the excellent fit and finish. Very nice trio of Gooney Birds!

Thanks. They do look good on the display shelf at home.

17 hours ago, RMCS said:

Superb 

Thank you, very kind!

17 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Terry,

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian. My masking skills have definitely improved after this one! This was my first Roden kit and I was pleased with it. One of my other stash C-47's is also Roden. I'm fancying that as a USAF Vietnam era, or an Israeli AF bird. The other in the stash is actually a C-117, this one:

C-117D

Looks similar to the Roden issue but obviously quite a different airframe in many respects.

16 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Beautiful work on the Dakotas, great modelling !

Wulfman

Thanks Wulfman, glad you like.

16 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

“Roden” & “about as good as it gets” are words I never thought I’d see in the same sentence. 

Pete

LOL!

15 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Lovely little Dak. 

Pete

Thanks!

16 hours ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

Very nice set of dakotas, well done. Must try one of these 1/144 beauties 

Thanks. I can now recommend this one, and there are so many colour scheme options for this aircraft.

I'm sure my current stash of two more, will also grow over time as this is an excellent aircraft to model in this scale.

Terry

• Thanks 2

I am very happy to see your "Dakota" finished, Terry (yes, the C-47s were called Dakota in Norwegian service). I am the one to blame for the dodgy decal sheet, and that you did not get it finished in time. Some of the sheets came from the printer without carrier film. Unfortunately some seem to have slipped the quality check, and I have now discharged the rest of the faulty ones.

Nils

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Hi Pete

Are Roden not usually any good? My only experience has been the DC3/C47 and their Super VC10 both of which are excellent!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Pete

Are Roden not usually any good? My only experience has been the DC3/C47 and their Super VC10 both of which are excellent!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

I've just finished the Eduard re-pop of Roden's Gladiator & nearly binned it. Fit wasn't brilliant, the plastic wasn't good & detail was soft. I've done their Staggerwing & Rolls Royce armoured car & they've been similar. Maybe the C-47 is a newer moulding & I should get a VC10!

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murdo said:

A very striking wee model with a cracking paint job.

Very well done mate!

:clap:

Thank you! The more I get back into the hobby after so many years, the more I realise the paint job can take much more effort than seems reasonable. In the case of this little one, I spent many many hours masking up various stages, for a few minutes quality airbrushing! It all pays dividends though!

Terry

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Terry

I missed this first time round so I'm glad to have the chance to admire your little beauty. I would NEVER have the courage to take such close up pictures of any of my models! :goodjob:

I love the Roden DC-3 and unlike the Minicraft kit it has the bonus of being accurate! The only problem I've found is that most decal manufacturers have designed their products for Minicraft which gives fit issues on the Roden model particularly with fin decals. 

On 5/27/2020 at 10:23 PM, Buzby061 said:

Not sure if that's serious or tongue-in-cheek but I've built Roden's Super VC-10, Britannia, Boeing 720, DC-6 and DC-3 (twice). The only one that gave me any trouble was the DC-6 which is an early kit reminiscent of early Minicraft. Their later kits are excellent and the SVC-10 is outstanding.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Hi Terry

I missed this first time round so I'm glad to have the chance to admire your little beauty. I would NEVER have the courage to take such close up pictures of any of my models! :goodjob:

I love the Roden DC-3 and unlike the Minicraft kit it has the bonus of being accurate! The only problem I've found is that most decal manufacturers have designed their products for Minicraft which gives fit issues on the Roden model particularly with fin decals. 

Not sure if that's serious or tongue-in-cheek but I've built Roden's Super VC-10, Britannia, Boeing 720, DC-6 and DC-3 (twice). The only one that gave me any trouble was the DC-6 which is an early kit reminiscent of early Minicraft. Their later kits are excellent and the SVC-10 is outstanding.

Dave G

Thank you Dave. Yes the pictures are a bit gruesomely close up!

I agree with you with regard to the Roden DC-3/C-47. All my future builds of this type will be Roden, apart from the eastern Express C-117. I'll give that a go as I like the sub type a lot.

Other Roden kits I have look reasonable, in their bare sprues! Apart from one other C-47, they include a DC-7, C-124 and C-133. We'll see how they turn out one day.

Thanks again

Terry

16 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Dave G

Maybe I've been unlucky. The moulding & fit on the 1/35 RR armoured car, 1/48 Gladiator & Staggerwing I've built have been less than stellar.

Pete

• Sad 1