1/72 Academy F-8 Crusader, 422d FWS, USAF, Da Nang '69

1/72 Academy F-8 Crusader, 422d Fighter Weapons Squadron, USAF, Da Nang AB, South Vietnam, 1969

Well then, certainly not one for the purists....

I absolutely love the Academy Crusader - must be one of the best '72 kits ever made.  I have built 4 of them now, 3 of them in their traditional grey and white.  I do like throwing my own ideas into the mix now and again and have wanted to do a USAF Crusader for ages.  So, here it is...!

Depicted as an aircraft undergoing test and evaluation but on the front line of CAS missions in South Vietnam - why let the Marines have all the fun...!! 😉

Carrying a full load of Zuni's and Snakes.  I have used etch for the seat handles and added a strike camera between the ventral fins.  Decals from the spares box.

I am really pleased with how this has turned out - I certainly haven't seen another one in this scheme before.

Airbrushed freehand again with Tamiya acrylics.

I hope that I don't upset too many of you....!

Cheers all,

Phil

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 51
  • Haha 1

I like the way your imagination works. Your free hand camouflage looks wonderful. The excellent model and the plausible story behind it make for a great combination. Way to go!

• Like 1

Your model has my opinion torn between multiple camps of thought.

- As a "purist", I'm supposed to hate it.  

+ As amateur observer of history, those colors would not have been at all out of place on the F-8s operated by the Philippines. 

+ As a jet fan, it elicits feelings of a meaner, faster, sleaker and sexier USAF A-7 Corsair.  Those sharkmouth markings complement it perfectly.

+ As a modeler, its simply a good-looking model.  What-if scheme or not, it's beauty!

It makes me wonder what the repercussions would have ensued IF the USAF DID operate the F-8 Crusader as well adopting their own versions for the Navy/Marine Corps  A-3 Skywarrior, A-4 Skyraider, A-7 Corsair, F-4 Phantom...  Would the USAF have procured their own EA-18G Growlers?

Edited by John B
  • Like 1

It looks simply excellent in SEA camouflage. Great model, great idea, great quality! Only one question - should it actually have at least couple sidewinders for operational sorties? Maybe not though as F-105 flew without air-to-air missiles at all. And wonder how this would look like in silver dope instead of camo :) 

• Like 1

I love the F-8, don't know why really. I like what you did with this one. It could've happened. Just need a faded version of one now with a replacement USAF F-18 next to it.

• Like 1

Really great and imaginative model 👍 The 3 tone S.E.A camo certainly seems to suit the F-8. Interestingly some of the other US Navy aircraft in Vietnam did some trials with camouflage, I have seen a photo of an RA-5 Vigilante in this 3 tone scheme and some F-4s and A-6s in variations, so who knows there may have been an F-8 somewhere? The 'Cut Then Add CTA003' decal sheet has some interesting variations. 

• Like 1

Upset many of us????? :nerdy:  Heck no Phil.  This is an awesome look for the Crusader.  That`s a great idea on the tail code too. :yes:

Very nice!!!!! 

Mike

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Booty003 said:

why let the Marines have all the fun...!! 😉

Absolutely...After all, when you're out of F8s, you're out of fighters...

Great build, thanks for posting. And lovely freehand airbrush work, you must have a Gucci gun, or a wizard hat! 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I am glad that it hasn't caused too much offence.  I have a few other ideas that might though....!!!! 😂

Ordnance wise this was for Close Air Support missions for the poor souls in the jungles etc.

Tamiya colours used are:

XF52

XF61

XF67

I used these on my recent F-102 build as well.

Cheers all,

Phil

• Like 1

Looks great in that scheme - I once built this kit in Israeli colours, that was fun!

• Like 1

On 27/05/2020 at 20:26, Booty003 said:

1/72 Academy F-8 Crusader, 422d Fighter Weapons Squadron, USAF, Da Nang AB, South Vietnam, 1969

Well then, certainly not one for the purists....

I absolutely love the Academy Crusader - must be one of the best '72 kits ever made.  I have built 4 of them now, 3 of them in their traditional grey and white.  I do like throwing my own ideas into the mix now and again and have wanted to do a USAF Crusader for ages.  So, here it is...!

Depicted as an aircraft undergoing test and evaluation but on the front line of CAS missions in South Vietnam - why let the Marines have all the fun...!! 😉

Carrying a full load of Zuni's and Snakes.  I have used etch for the seat handles and added a strike camera between the ventral fins.  Decals from the spares box.

I am really pleased with how this has turned out - I certainly haven't seen another one in this scheme before.

Airbrushed freehand again with Tamiya acrylics.

I hope that I don't upset too many of you....!

Cheers all,

Phil

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That is stunning, always loved the F8, it just looks like a beefed up A7. I always thing these should be titled 'What could have been'. This is the great benefit of being a modeller to produce what could have worked so well...……..

• Like 1