A9 Cruiser MkI - IBG Models

Hi Guys,

This is my first posting of a built model here, hope you like it. Its the brand new 1/72nd scale A9 Cruiser MkI from IBG, sold under their World at War brand. I have to say that for £9.99 here in the UK this is tremendous value for money. I'm no rivet counter (and there are lots of rivets on this kit) but it looks and feels like an A9 to me. The only deal-breaker for some will be the way the tracks are represented, and it really is a shame, considering what IBG are capable of. The wheels and tracks are moulded as a single unit as per some of the other kits they make. The problem here is two fold. Firstly the characteristic slots in the track surface are missing, and secondly there is no representation of the gap between the outer guide horns in the inside of the track. When IBG have done this on other kits I have of theirs it has been fine, as there was only a single centre horn, which is easy to represent with a two part mould. Outside guide horns would be very difficult to represent accurately without making the tracks a separate item. One could also open out the cooling slots over the engine bay. I dodged this with paint.

I painted the kit in a Caunter pattern I found on the web using AK's Real Colours, thinned with Mr Color Self-Leveling Thinner I looked and looked for a prototype to model but couldn't find anything suitable so this is the finished thing with no unit markings. Probably overdid the weathering, but it looks more restrained in the plastic, so to speak, than in the photos.

Next time, and there will be a next time, I really enjoyed building this, I will have a go at making the tracks look better. And add an aerial!

I'm sure someone will come along and tell me why this is nothing like an A9, but It went together in a couple of evenings, fit was good to excellent and with the exception of the tracks was a hugely enjoyable experience, even masking the Caunter scheme.

Highly recommended, with the caveats above.

All the best

John

So on with the pics

Photo 12-05-2020, 19 31 48

Photo 13-05-2020, 20 51 20

Photo 13-05-2020, 20 51 10

Photo 17-05-2020, 19 11 35

Photo 17-05-2020, 19 11 29

Photo 17-05-2020, 19 11 14

Photo 17-05-2020, 19 11 07

• Like 23

VERY nice. It doesn’t look nearly as good in the unpainted plastic-your finish work brings it alive and looks fantastic.

I’ve got the Gecko 1/35 A9s both in “shelf queen” status-the Caunter Scheme is daunting!

9 hours ago, Murdo said:

Considering it's probably blown up to about 1/35 scale in these pics it looks pretty nice to me! 

Thanks for the kind words Murdo.

6 hours ago, f matthews said:

VERY nice. It doesn’t look nearly as good in the unpainted plastic-your finish work brings it alive and looks fantastic.

I’ve got the Gecko 1/35 A9s both in “shelf queen” status-the Caunter Scheme is daunting!

I agree it does look a bit toy like unpainted, actually the moulding is pretty nice, just needs a bit of cleaning up here and there. Not up to IBG's current standard, but still OK.

I have the Gecko A10 waiting to go, this was a dry run for camo masking, it has to be easier in 1/35 ;-)

30 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Excellent job. Really like the paint and weathering. Nice one.

John.

Thanks John

That looks great. I used to do a lot of small scale armour years ago and wish such kits had been around then.

As for the tracks, I'm all for the simpler the better, especially in 1/72. Maybe not as realistic but helps my sanity! 😂 

• Like 1

Now that's impressive! Especially in 1/72! Looks like 1/35 modelling reduced in scale! Very well done. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Nicely done! Good luck with the Gecko A10. I suggest you invest in a set of Fruil tracks, though. Each link of Gecko track is made from four pieces and they are minute. They give you a jig to make them on, but I found them impossible.

Thanks again for all the kind words guys much appreciated.

On 5/29/2020 at 10:05 PM, riever49 said:

Nicely done! Good luck with the Gecko A10. I suggest you invest in a set of Fruil tracks, though. Each link of Gecko track is made from four pieces and they are minute. They give you a jig to make them on, but I found them impossible.

Actually riever49 it is the Bronco kit I have not the Gecko, The tracks look fine although I have the desert version and realise that for a full Caunter scheme I need the additional fuel tank on the front left track guard which is only available in the Balkans campaign version of the kit. Oh well I guess I'll have to do one of those as well😀