Fw190A-3 inner gear doors, or not..?

Werdna

Afternoon all

I'm currently working on a Fw190A-3, which I'm planning to build in the colours of Armin Faber's a/c which was captured at RAF Pembrey in June 42.  I've seen much discussion about the inner gear doors, some fitted - some not, some open on landing - some not.

Link to my build thread here: 

The a/c pic clearly shows no inner doors visible.  My question is - is it likely because the doors were shut - or were they simply not fitted?  I know it's probably impossible to be definitive, but I'll take the 'most likely' option if anyone has an opinion.  Thanks in advance :) 

Not 100% sure but I think the doors were shut by physical contact with the retracting wheels so, unless pushed in somehow by the ground crew, they may have been removed.

• Like 1

The A3 and A4 had a wire cable that shut the inner smaller flaps when the wheels were fully extended. So, more likely shut rather than removed.

• Like 4

Thanks guys.  I've been able to expand the pic a bit (quite a lot actually) and compare various lines on the cowling and wings to how they correspond to the model - and as far as I can tell, the pic does appear to show doors in place, but closed.  So I guess that's what I'll go with.. :)

• Like 1

As Parabat noted, early Fw 190's had an ingenious system of spring-tensioned cables that allowed the inner doors to drop open whenever the wheels were extending or retracting, and then closed them again.

When the aircraft was parked, the "default" was for the doors to be closed, but they could be opened by simply pulling against the spring tension - required to replace the ammunition boxes for the nose guns. I've even seen pics where one door was open and the others closed; which was fine because both would drop open as soon as the gear started to come up.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Super Aereo said:

They were surely not fitted when the aircraft was tested in Britain

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205196920

If you expand the pic (and the other similar one taken from the other side), it does appear to show inner doors in place, but closed.

16 minutes ago, Werdna said:

If you expand the pic (and the other similar one taken from the other side), it does appear to show inner doors in place, but closed.

I would say it does not, you can see the bottom of the landing flap through the opening.

Also see:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/A_captured_Focke_Wulf_Fw_190A-3_at_the_Royal_Aircraft_Establishment%2C_Farnborough%2C_with_the_RAE's_chief_test_pilot%2C_Wing_Commander_H_J_"Willie"_Wilson_at_the_controls%2C_August_1942._CH6411.jpgspacer.png

38 minutes ago, Super Aereo said:

I would say it does not, you can see the bottom of the landing flap through the opening.

For clarity, you need to compare the difference in shape of the wheel wells, between one with the inner doors fitted, but closed - to one where the doors are not fitted at all.   No doors fitted extends the wheel well to pretty much the a/c centreline..  

Also, the pic from gingerbob above shows them in place.  What's worse is that the Eduard A3 has no provision for outer wing cannons fitted, but the Pembrey A3 clearly does.. :( 

1 hour ago, Werdna said:

Also, the pic from gingerbob above shows them in place.  What's worse is that the Eduard A3 has no provision for outer wing cannons fitted, but the Pembrey A3 clearly does.. :( 

I'm just checking the instructions, the Eduard Fw190A-3 definitely does have the outer wing cannon, it looks like you need to open the slots (page 4 and 5) in the wing leading edges top and bottom for the cannon, parts C8.

4 minutes ago, Parabat said:

I'm just checking the instructions, the Eduard Fw190A-3 definitely does have the outer wing cannon, it looks like you need to open the slots (page 4 and 5) in the wing leading edges top and bottom for the cannon, parts C8.

You're right - so it does.  I see now that the parts on the sprue (C8), The slots are apparent on the wing drawings, but there is no option to add them mentioned anywhere in the instructions, as far as I can see.  I must have looked straight past them. Ah well..

10 minutes ago, Werdna said:

You're right - so it does.  I see now that the parts on the sprue (C8), The slots are apparent on the wing drawings, but there is no option to add them mentioned anywhere in the instructions, as far as I can see.  I must have looked straight past them. Ah well..

Mate, happens to me all the time! Repeat offender is the 'add xyz grams of nose weight...' 😬

• Like 1

You guys read the instructions?!?

Just kidding- I like to look at them as a sort of tease to build or maintain enthusiasm.  And once in a while you (I mean I) actually notice something helpful, like "glue this in before you close the fuselage!"

• Like 1

Right, so...next question.....

Given that I have left the outer wing guns off an a/c that clearly should have them fitted - what would you do in my position?

a) brazen it out and continue building Faber's a/c even though it will not be completely accurate.

b) just build an A3 with the OOB markings, which wasn't intended to have the outer wing guns fitted, and save the Faber build for another day

Actually - on reflection, I'll answer my own question.  I'll build it as Faber's a/c anyway and I'll add the ends of the outer wing gun barrels externally.  But when I start an RFI thread - you all have to promise that nobody mentions the guns.. ;) 

(Having had a quick look at the instructions) If it is just a matter of the hole in the leading edge, that shouldn't be too hard to find from the outside.  There might be a very subtle "shadow" of it, or if not have you got a small source of light that you could get "inside" the wing without blinding yourself (in other words, light IN the wing, not all around behind the wing).  Usually that will reveal the "thin spot".  Failing either of those, you can tell about where it should be, so some careful poking with the sharp end of a new XActo blade, a needle, or the like should reveal it.

Or, if you opt for Plan B, I don't know what guns you're talking about!

• Like 2

The gun barrels are on - I've just butted them onto the wing leading edges in more or less the correct position.  I might look at fairing them in a bit with some filler or some careful painting if needed, but at the moment they're looking ok.  I'll just take all the RFI pics from 10 metres away and it should be fine... ;) 

• Like 1