Avro Lancaster B.VII NX611 'Just Jane' (Airfix 1/72) + Extra

A project I started a good few years ago which featured in the WIP section here;

I did eventually get around to finishing it after stripping it back and spraying it, but I never took any photos for an RFI and I figured it was about time, so here is my rendition of Avro Lancaster B.VII NX611 'Just Jane'

The modifications to the base kit are as follows;

- Eduard etched cockpit interior

- Kitsworld decals

- Modified tailwheel to A340 nose wheel type

- Treaded mainwheels (Barracuda I think)

- Modified Astrodome to Lincoln type

- Canopy aerial bulge removed 

- Starboard side viewing bubble only 

- Payload bay door lifeboat cutouts

- Starboard side fuselage heating vent

- New, further forward mid-upper turret opening 

NX611 and WR963

NX611 and WR963

NX611 and WR963

NX611 and WR963

NX611 and WR963

NX611 and WR963

NX611 and WR963

NX611 and WR963

NX611 and WR963

NX611 and WR963

NX611 and WR963

And with her younger Sister, a rendition of @richw_82's Shackleton WR963. Those of you who attended Telford SMW 2015 may have seen this on the Coastal command table. Admittedly it was rushed to get it there and it did survive the day, unfortunately falling to bits in a house move a few years later. I figured I'd fix it back up for this;

NX611 and WR963

NX611 and WR963

NX611 and WR963

NX611 and WR963

Both airframes are finished to represent specific days in their history. NX611 is in her faded paint but with new Squadron letters from the Three Lancs event at East Kirkby which I attended and WR963 is modelled from the day she last did a fast taxy at Coventry and is a hybrid MR.2 / AEW.2 to suit with a cut down payload bay.

NX611 and WR963

Edit: Here is the RFI for the Shackleton. She originally had larger fuselage Roundels and the under-wing serials were wonky. The original decals were all Aeroclub and the replacements were Xtradecal;

Cheers,

WV908

Edited by WV908
  • Like 19

Very nice pair of Avro classics.

I'm familiar with both the real machines.  East Kirkby is just a few miles up the road from home, and I worked at Coventry airport for several years.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Nicely done!  You obviously put in a lot of work on these big recips!

Thanks :) I'm a bit sad I rushed the shackleton (although I did do a full interior) and the Lanc's flaws do show up in the photos, but I am quite happy with them. I was really annoyed though when the Revell Shackleton was first shown as the exterior detail, although not 100% accurate is terrific and the only reason I haven't built my AEW.2 yet is because this one will look pants next to it.

Airfix did a good job on the engineering with the Lanc and Shackleton, but they really need to up their game with exterior detail. The Shackleton was evidently rushed in the tooling stage to beat the Revell model to market as the fuselage especially is very very poorly moulded at the ends.

Cheers,

WV908

• Thanks 1