Jaguar T.2 - Hasegawa & Italeri compared

SEPECAT Jaguar T.2

31 Squadron RAF Germany, Bruggen, 1976

Italeri kit / Aeroclub seats / Aires resin wheels

IMG_4169

I built this Italeri kit straight after finishing the Hasegawa Jaguar T.2. It compares quite well and cockpit detail is better. The main shortcomings of the Italeri kit are the wheels (thankfully there are some good resin replacements out there), the seats (ditto) and the drop tanks which are about 7mm too long and mount too far back on their pylons. I didn’t find out about the tanks until final assembly when everything was painted but I seem to have got away with shortening them without needing to repaint. It just means there are now only 3 tressle markings instead of 4! Normally I would have repainted but I had a big dose of just-get-it-finished-itis. I’ve also just noticed that I forgot to replace the fuel dump pipe which disappeared sometime during assembly.

Decals are from Modeldecal sheets and various other sources including the old ED Models Jaguar and Tornado codes sheet. I found that there is no aftermarket decal sheet available covering early Jaguar stencil data. Anoyingly, the Modeldecal instructions suggest using kit decals for these which with these old kits are usually unusable or incomplete.

The 16 Sqn grey Jaguar is from the Hasegawa kit which I posted on this site earlier.

IMG_4170

IMG_4172

IMG_4174

I put Flt Lt Smith in the front seat so as not to have to drop the flaps & slats which seemed to be the default position for static Jaguars. He came from the Hasegawa Jaguar kit so he was already checked out on type.

The centreline CBLS came from the CMR resin Buccaneer kit.

IMG_4175

IMG_4176

IMG_4177

IMG_4179

IMG_4181

IMG_4183

IMG_4184

• Like 37

Hello CT,

Enjoyed your contribution.

Has been a very successful design and more importantly, still being around.

Regards,

Orion 

Both are very nice representations of the lovely Jaguar. I, personally, like the look of the two-seaters more than I like the single seat models. 

5 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

Anoyingly, the Modeldecal instructions suggest using kit decals for these which with these old kits are usually unusable or incomplete

Im sure the late Mike Silk ( I think it was silk) probably didnt plan that his excellent decals would still be in circulation today....ive got a folder full....it came over a bit mean CT im sure you didnt mean to.

Excellent jags by the way Ive got the Italrei one in my stash

Edited by junglierating

On 5/27/2020 at 7:38 PM, junglierating said:

Im sure the late Mike Silk ( I think it was silk) probably didnt plan that his excellent decals would still be in circulation today....ive got a folder full....it came over a bit mean CT im sure you didnt mean to.

I wasn't having a go at Modeldecals at all - like you I've got a stash full of them and I'm always thankful to Mike for starting off the aftermarket decals thing. It's just that all these years later it seems that kit decals have degraded over time whereas the old Modeldecals always seem usable, so where Modeldecals rely on basic markings from the kit you have to do a bit of searching for replacements. But to the decal manufacturers out there - please can we have a set of stencils / roundels / serials for early Jags!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PhantomLover said:

They are both very nice Jags.. What colours did you use for these two?

Regards,

Gerben

They are both finished in Xtracolour enamels over Tamiya grey primer with Humbrol Matt Cote over the top. Dark Green / Dark Sea Grey over Light Aircraft Grey for the early one and Dark Sea Grey over Dark Camouflage Grey for the later.

• Thanks 1

That is a pair of very nice models! Always liked the look of Jaguar especially two-seat trainer version. 

How are the two compare in terms of accuracy, construction ease, detailing etc? From what I read so far elsewhere - both are reasonable (Hase is more accurate) but both aren't close to being definitive Jaguar model though. 

Those are superb, always love to see Jags. 

Both are brilliantly made and finished. I like the camo one best, because it's in proper RAF green/grey camo. 

On 5/27/2020 at 7:38 PM, junglierating said:

Modeldecals we’re produced by Richard L Ward and sold initially by Modeltoys of Portsmouth.

Like many others I’ve got a stash of Modeldecal sheets and they’ve generally survived much better than contemporary kit sheets.  It’s a matter of great personal regret that Hannants, having acquired the remaining Modeldecal stock when Modeltoys closed, didn’t take advantage of their windfall and reprint those sheets; they’d still sell now to those of us doing nostalgia builds and/or restorations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

they’d still sell now to those of us doing nostalgia builds and/or restorations.

Or those of us who liked the subjects and the care and resarch that went into the instructions.

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stever219 said:

Modeldecals we’re produced by Richard L Ward and sold initially by Modeltoys of Portsmouth.

Like many others I’ve got a stash of Modeldecal sheets and they’ve generally survived much better than contemporary kit sheets.  It’s a matter of great personal regret that Hannants, having acquired the remaining Modeldecal stock when Modeltoys closed, didn’t take advantage of their windfall and reprint those sheets; they’d still sell now to those of us doing nostalgia builds and/or restorations.

Very true and yes Richard Ward was the artist but it was Mikes shop....think he had the patience of a saint used to go and spend hours in there and not spend a lot lol.

Its funny never found a shop like it till i found the model shop in Frome ...aladins cave again and a bonus its in the peoples republic of Frome 

..an enclave in sunny Somerset 😃😃😃👍

• 9 months later...

Great Builds both of them!! 

Though you did forgot to mention something about the decals' sheet from Italeri and which is something that I recently discovered while trying to finish my T.2; the standard markings that Italeri gives on their sheet can only be used to build the D.Green/D.Grey version. For the other two that Italeri gives you need some aftermarket standard markings.

Unfortunately, I noticed it after I painted mine with the two tone grey scheme and now I have to strip the colours and repaint it with the D.Green/D.Grey colours!!!

:goodjob: