CCCP Стелс истребитель MiG-37B Ferret E

Nice splinter, good work with the tape.  I use the tamiya tape for the edge of the masked area and then cheap masking tape or maskol to fill in the rest.

Edited by neil5208
  • Thanks 1

Cheers! I used all Tamiya tape @neil5208 and still had bleeding which is really unusual.

Standard masking tape was starting to pull the paint so I stopped that straight away.

Thanks @binbrook87 after your masterclass of splinter cammo on the Viggen, that' quite an accolade to receive.  :)

Touch ups, gear & air break bays next up and the engine exhaust will be the focus over the weekend I think?

I will not read anymore the WIP threads before I finish my ongoing projects!.. This causes always jumping into new project before completing running ones. That happened to me changing subject to "Blackbirds" while I was busy with set of "Flankers" and most probably I will launch another WhatIf project based on Ferret soon.

Yesterday I have found in my junkyard a badly built 1/72 Ferret which was a part of huge Xbay auction containing more than 120 kits inside. I am planning to start my Ferret build next week ... 😁

Serkan

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Standard masking tape was starting to pull the paint so I stopped that straight away.

Yeah don't use that mate... it loves to take the paint with it. I found out after I ordered a job lot! Er... anybody want 20 rolls of masking tape! 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Serkan Sen said:

I will not read anymore the WIP threads before I finish my ongoing projects!.. This causes always jumping into new project before completing running ones. That happened to me changing subject to "Blackbirds" while I was busy with set of "Flankers" and most probably I will launch another WhatIf project based on Ferret soon.

Yesterday I have found in my junkyard a badly built 1/72 Ferret which was a part of huge Xbay auction containing more than 120 kits inside. I am planning to start my Ferret build next week ... 😁

Serkan

haha!!!

DO IT!!!!! I'd love to see your interpretation of a What If MiG-37....that i think would be absolutely AWESOME!! You know you want to! :P

45 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Yeah don't use that mate... it loves to take the paint with it. I found out after I ordered a job lot! Er... anybody want 20 rolls of masking tape! 😁

haha!! I probably need some to decorate the last room of god awful magnolia in the house.

Something for the weekend....and from my home town circa 1992

This is something you've all been waiting for........this is the sound of Altern-8!

Edited by Mikey-1980
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

Cheers! I used all Tamiya tape @neil5208 and still had bleeding which is really unusual.

On the next kit, you can save yourself some tape by cutting Post-its and then using tape only on the edges. 

Works a treat, and saves money.
Just make sure any panel trenches are pushed in with a cocktail stick :)

48 minutes ago, Mikey-1980 said:

This is something you've all been waiting for........this is the sound of Altern-8!

Blast from the past!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a superb idea for the post it notes 

Will Defo remember that one. 

As for Altern-8.. Filmed in Stafford High Street for the most part. Mark Archer still lives locally too. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 10:21 AM, Mikey-1980 said:

DSC_3260

DSC_3261

MiG-37 will be with teeth?  Is there a sample of his teeth on the newspaper?

😁😁😁

19 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

When there was no tape there Tamiya used the usual painting masking tape.  To reduce its excessive adhesion, it was simply glued several times to a clean table surface.  How many times to stick so that it does not destroy the paint and stay on the model?  This is individually and was selected experimentally.

18 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Serkan

🤔

Read.   Took out own MiG-37B from the shelf death.  In thought .....

😁

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

16 hours ago, Mikey-1980 said:

sound of Altern-8!

Did these gentlemen suspect something about Covid 19? 😲😁

• Haha 1

haha!

Cheers everyone,

Didn't actually get much done over the weekend to be honest. The huge black smudge on the port wing is now gone, and a few other touch ups were sorted. One this I have noticed is the the Sea Grey RAF light grey paint is different in the pot than that of in the rattle can. its about 3 shades lighter. hmmmmm annoying.

As for the Altern-8 vid, these guys were WAY ahead of their time.....their typical get up on stage was anti-chemical NBC suits with painters masks painted up. Absolute legends of the early 90's rave scene in the UK. 

I do like the blue splinter cammo scheme too @Serkan Sen Makes the aircraft feel a lot colder too.....

More supplies needed to carry on with the build to be purchased later on.

Cheers!

On 6/12/2020 at 6:34 PM, Mikey-1980 said:

haha!!!

DO IT!!!!! I'd love to see your interpretation of a What If MiG-37....that i think would be absolutely AWESOME!! You know you want to! :P

Thanks Mikey, I have launched my MiG-37 "Super Ferret" build here:

Serkan

• Like 2

not much progress on my Ferret build at the moment, mainly starting to tackle the under carriage,

I'm just hoping that I have enough weight in the front to stop it from being a tail sitter.

1 hour ago, Mikey-1980 said:

not much progress on my Ferret build at the moment, mainly starting to tackle the under carriage,

I'm just hoping that I have enough weight in the front to stop it from being a tail sitter.

I hate undercarriage Mike! Always seems to be a faff and holds up any build. Do i build before or after painting? Pre paint or not? Then i tend to lose a part or two. The legs and doors never seem to glue properly etc etc. I'd love to build more 'wheels up' models but some just don't look right unless their standing on their pins. Ferret coming along nicely though eh? 👍

• Thanks 1

Just now, binbrook87 said:

I've made this mistake more than once mate and if you do find you have a tail sitter...what i tend to do is drill and glue a very small piece of brass rod drilled into the underside the fuselage where it's hardly seen when standing acting as a kind of 'jack'. Paint it the same colour as the fuselage and it is surprising how it blends in. Just a thought! 😁

decent thought and suggestion there @binbrook87

The Canberra build was the same, if it wasn't for the supplied tail jack, it would be sat on its tail, nose up all the time haha!

It's coming together slowly, but now I've seen the efforts of @Serkan Sen and his "Super Ferret"  makes you wanna give up! haha! (of course I'm not going to though).

• Like 1

Morning all!

Sorry for the lack of posting on this build log, life took over for a while the past week, and the recent storms here in the UK caused a little bit of a leak in the house.

Now sorted (hopefully) and managed to get a little done yesterday.

The main task was to get the landing gear arranged and painted up. With not having much of a reference, I looked an an assortment of MiG undercarriage bays, ranging from reds, to turquoise and whites in various shades. 

I decided to stick with a white base and some black washes to bring our the detail. Still a little left to go on these, but its getting there. Some highlighting here and there and I think they about done. 

DSC_3270

The undercarriage was dry fitted to see f there was any further work needed, so I took the risk to see if she's a tail sitter.........

The stance was perfect.....no tail sitting at all!

DSC_3269

A little more detailing paint needed and then off to clear coat ready for decalling..

Cheers!

Mike

• Like 4

Finally I've been able to do an update for you fine fine people. 

Though not a lot was done over the weekend for the build. Life admin took over, again and the prospect to take our ale from one of the best bars in town.

ALL HAIL THE ALE!!!!

DSC_3273

So, on with the show....the Ferret has now been given a coat of semi gloss clear to seal the paint and prep for the decals.

Now as these are 24 years old, they may be a little fragile.....and yes they were. The Radar reflection panels cracked into multiple parts. so they are going to need to be painted.

Working from the center line out wards, it's very slow progress as there are lots of decals.

DSC_3275

Silvering is an issue with these decals, and I hope that they settle down once the dull coat is applied afterwards.

DSC_3276

This is a far as I have gotten so far, so much more to follow.

Cheers!

Mike

morning all,

Apologies for the lack of posting updates for the Ferret, work, life admin and other jobs around the house seem to be taking me away from the work bench more and more at the moment.

Alas, I managed to find some time yesterday to get on with the HUGE amount of decaling needed on the Ferret.

The underside is complete, with LOTS of silvering happening with these older decals. The red stars split and broke into multiple parts prior to applying.

DSC_3280

Top side is coming together nicely, though I stopped at this point to allow the decals to dry before carrying on

DSC_3279

Another view of the decals so far.

DSC_3281

If anyone has any tips to reduce the silvering once they have dried, I am more than happy to explore options. 

The aircraft has has a gloss coat to help, but as you can see it hasn't made much of a difference. Decal fix has also been used too.

Cheers!

Mike

• Like 3

@Serkan Sen Sir, Your build looks FRAKKING AWESOME so far !

Very impressed with your work, and very much looking forward to your paint job too :)

Thank you for the kind words, but I'm amateur in comparison. Just a damn shame about the silvering on the decals though. 

I am hoping that the gloss over coat will help the silvering settle down then to attempt pin shading for the panel lines. Always seem to mess that bit up.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your kind words Mike. But please don't underestimate what you did so far 🙂

The decals can be problematic especially for such old kits. Maybe applying highly gloss finish before decals would have been helped a bit.

Serkan

• Thanks 1