ACF09 Gris Blue Clair

Tbolt

I'm after the underside colour for an MB.152, which is quoted as Gris Bleu Clair and the chip for this paint looks a little darker than I was expecting. Is this the right colour for the underside and what is Gris Bleu Ciel ( ACF10  ) used for?

ACF09rgb_2048x2048.jpg?v=1579883182 

Hi,

I'm afraid I have no idea. You could write my knowledge of the French air force on the back of a postage stamp. In crayon...

The range was simply inherited from White Ensign Models and I've never looked at it - it's never been a core product range.

Sorry that wasn't more helpful!

• Like 1

From memory there were two iterations of Gris Bleu Clair, the earlier being the darker one (as shown above) nad the later one being a fair bit lighter. I can't remember when the change over happened, but I believe that both colours could be seen during 1940.

I'm sure I read about the two shades on Britmodeller, so it might be with doing a Google search of the site: britmodeller French Air Force colours (or variations thereof) and you may well find what you need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Guys,

I bought the 2 Gris Bleu colours from White Ensign well before Jamie aquired the Colourcoats range, and I too thought they were a bit dark so I queried it with them. They (John Snyder I seem to remember - could be wrong?) emailed back that as far as they were concerned they were correct. I must confess I used their GB Clair straight from the tin instead of GB Fonce and added a bit of their Blue de Ciel to it for the underside - probably wrong but it matched pics of other people's kits and a preserved D520 (yes I know that preserved planes are often in the wrong colour). If there were indeed changes to the actual colour made by the French that might explain it. I see that the updated Cybemodeller chart shows it as being close to FS32670 whilst IPMS Stockholm suggest FS25189 for what it is worth, though Jamie has stated previously that is often not a particularly good way of matching colours as I recall. 

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Thanks for your replies. I got the Colourcoats paints and the Gris Bleu Clair is fairly dark, and fairly neutral, no blue tint, so Gris Bleu Ciel probably is a better match. I quite often lighten paints a little anyway as after varnishes they darken up, so I probably mix a light blue with the Gris Bleu Clair.