How eclectic are your musical tastes?

Bullbasket

51 minutes ago, bhouse said:

The only music I've listened to for about 30 years is "My Grandfather's Clock" by Val Doonican.

What! And you didn't graduate to "Rafferty's Motor Car"?

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Such a difficult one to answer. I think we've already had the best response, "I either like it or I don't". That's pretty much where I am to be honest. However, I consider "my era" to be from the mid 70s through to the early 80s and punk, new wave, goth, early electronica and a fair chunk of the pop stuff of the time are way up there for me. But today, it's Disco classics that are getting spun on the deck. Mood is a contributing factor I guess.

I did tire of, in particular, 80s hair metal. That just got silly to be honest, and being a new wave kid, the pretentiousness of prog rock has never sat comfortably with me either. Modern rap does nothing for me, some of the early stuff is ok in my books. Essentially, it's all about how it makes me feel.

Things I hate. The samey, mass produced crap of late especially if it has auto tunes vocals (murderous thoughts), and for some reason if I hear so much of a snippet of Barbara Ann by the Beach Boys. Don't know what it is, but it drives me nuts! (even darker murderous thoughts) No offence to the Beach Boys, but there has to be a childhood trauma involved.

Steve

• Like 2

Peggy Lee’s ‘ I’ve got those feelin too good today blues’ has been one of my favourites since I first heard it in the ‘80s. I have it on one of the music streaming sites but there’s nothing like having the CD/LP in your hands, and yesterday a CD of ‘ Mirrors ‘ arrived courtesy of SWMBO who found one in Germany through Discog.

• Like 1

I have been unable to sync my IPod recently until we bought a new computer and now I have access to the full diversity of my CDs going back about 40 years. I have just been listening to Harry Nilsson’s ‘ As time goes by ‘ some lovely old classic songs with some beautiful arrangements. I always enjoy Gus Khan’s ( genuine, I believe ) alternative ending to ‘ It had to be you ‘.

Some others I’ve seen, it had to be me

I’m five foot ten, a man among men, and you’re seven two

But with all your faults it’s you I adore

When you stand up your hands touch the floor

It had to be me, unlucky me, it had to be me.

On 6/1/2020 at 11:37 AM, bhouse said:

Commercial rubbish. He sold out with that one.

I've been trying to remember which Fall album's liner/sleeve notes mentions Paddy McGinty's Goat.  I thought it might be the compilation, Palace of Swords Reversed, because of The Man Whose Head Expanded, but clearly not.  Then I thought Totale's Turns or Dragnet.  Drew a blank there too.  Best leave it for now I think!

We used to ride in a large forest in the UK and often sang as we went. Paddy McGinty’s Goat and Delaney’s Donkey were favourites, and when I was alone I often sang A Four Legged Friend, sometimes to the surprise of the walkers who also used the forest.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2020 at 12:46 PM, Bennygman said:

"A little bit of everything all rolled into one".

I went through a Status Quo phase, a Billy Joel Phase, a heavy metal phase, a long Springsteen phase, a Rush phase. I've also been sliding towards country and have had a life long love of classical.

In common with some above I have problems with (most) jazz, hate scat with a passion (just...why?) and don't like much Rap, although the lyrics can be quite interesting.

As for more recent artists I love Amy McDonald (amazing Glaswegian growl to her vocals) and Lady Antebellum (Country pop), Eric Church (blue collar country), and (whisper it) Taylor Swift is a sneaky good lyricist.

I guess I'm just a fan of 'music' in general without getting too tribal about it.

Steve.

This sounds eerily (even spookily) familiar, except that I started sliding towards country a loooooong time ago ...

Edited by klr

Interesting question and I've read a lot of interesting answers !

To add my 2 cents, my musical tastes are quite varied and I keep searching for new music almost every day !

I strongly believe that the day I'll stop searching for new music will be the day when I'll have lost my interest in life, and at that point it may well not be worth living anymore. Maybe it's because I'm a curious person, maybe because my profession taught me that every day can bring something new worth knowing..

So, musical tastes... I can't even say I have one favourite genre, as there are a few I would rate as favourites... Progressive rock for a starter, that features heavily in my CD shelves and my MP3 collection. Mostly the classic British names, King Crimson above all, but also some 80's neoprog band (like Marillion) and other later acts. Not that I only focus on the classics, as I follow a good number of lesser known acts from around the world and other parallel subgenres... so when I say "progressive" it may be some classic like Genesis, or a bit less famous act like Van De Graaf Generator, or an Italian '70s band like Area, a Scandinavian band like Anglagard or someone from the Canterbury scene or... you see the pattern here !

Interestingly I'm not a big fan of bands like Rush or the prog-metal scene, with some exceptions (Tool is pretty good...). Guess that to me the idea of "progressive" is something different from what such bands follow.

Somewhat related to prog is my interest in instrumental rock, be it German space rock (Tangerine Dream and the likes) or the more recent "Post Rock" movement. (Mogway is the best known name but look for a Canadian group named Godspeed You Black Emperor... brilliant stuff!). Genres that often cross with contemporary "classical" music, that I also listen sometime (Philip Glass above all).

And again related to Prog is my interest in other acts that, while not strictly part of the progressive movement, are sometimes linked to them: Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and Mike Oldfield. I love Oldfield in particular, I have everything he made, including some really quuestionable stuff... it was my first serious musical interest and actually I moved into prog after listening to Oldfield.

A close second favourite is something somewhat different, that is Trip Hop, particularly the so-called Bristol sound with the "Holy Trinity" of the genre Portishead-Massive Attack-Tricky. I love these atmospheres and it's a pity that the production of these acts is not larger... although I'd rather have only 5 Portishead records in a lifetime than 50 records from much less talented people !

Then there's a range of bands that I struggle to put under one genre but to me seem to have in common the idea of going beyond the "canons" or rock, while not being proper experimental acts: the Velvet Underground, Sonic Youth, but also the Einsturzende Neubauten from Germany... bands that are related in some way even if the musical results are different. And all the UK bands that took something from the Smiths... Smiths that I listen very often but the same applies to Pulp of Franz Ferdinand or even Belle and Sebastian... are they under the same genre ? IMHO yes and no. And neither are part of the same genre names like Joy Division or Depeche Mode, but they are also bands I listen very often

Rap... I don't know why so many people say that Rap is a meaningless genre ! The lyrics in good rap songs are often much better than the ones in most rock songs. And there's more, rap has been for more than 2 decades the genre that most has represented the rebellion of the younger generations... there's a reason why today rock has become the favourite genre of 50/60 year olds while younger people listen to other stuff. Rock has been the soundtrack of the dreams and hopes of a certain generation, rap is the soundtrack of the broken dreams and desperation of the generation that followed.

Personally I admit that my knowledge is not as vast as should be and in the end I focused mainly on West Coast acts, with some exceptions. In general however music by 2Pac, Ice Cube or Nas is good quality and their lyrics make you think a lot. Then there's some lighter stuff that is good for fun, like Snoop Dogg and stuff that is good musically like anything by Dr.Dre. And like it or not, Eminem is a lyrical genius and someone that should be taken more seriously than he often was.

Back into rock, I'm not a huge metal fan but there are some subgenres of metal that I enjoy: I like Nightwish and I especially like the folk-metal scene. These are mainly European acts, particularly from Scandinavia and Eastern Europe. They tend to mix metal of various guises with folk tunes and instruments, results vary but I enjoy many of these acts.

Oh, and I like Rammstein ! Don't know what it is, but I'd listen to Rammstein over the big acts of the past anytime. And I don't mind putting on a black metal album from time to time... the whole Norwegian scene may have been a mess, but there's something about that music that is fascinating. Some for grunge, not my favourite but I like listening it from time to time. What I almost never listen to is hair metal, too far from my taste

And of course the rock classics, where to me later names like REM or U2 are also classics,... and of course the great songwriters like Leonard Cohen, and the geniuses like Bowie, but also a different kind of genius like Prince... and why not some folk like Bert Jansch ?

And then the Italian music... from the punk of bands like CCCP to the new wave sounds of the early '80s, to later alternative rock acts like Afterhours (IMHO the best Italian rock band ever) to the great local songwriters, to bands that mix electronic dance and pop like Subsonica...

And classical music, where I tend to favour late 19th Century romantic music or later impressionists.

Do I need to go on ? Better not... you get the idea, guess that the whole post can be shortened into one word... to the question "how eclectic are your musical tastes" the asnwer is: very !

• Like 4

It seems quite a few don't like Jazz, but I used to like Trad Jazz. There was a combo that played a lot of gigs in Northampton and their name escapes me, but they were jolly good. Stuff like - I scream, you scream, everybody loves ice cream - and - Hold That Tiger. But then I quite like Frank Zappa and Herbie Hancock. I can't say I'm enthralled with Country or Western, but there are a few songs that ain't that bad.

Just played Fats Domino's Greatest hits. Had a cup of tea, and now it's back to the hobby room to play Preisner's Requiem for my Friend. Poles apart.

John.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ratch said:

It seems quite a few don't like Jazz, but I used to like Trad Jazz. There was a combo that played a lot of gigs in Northampton and their name escapes me, but they were jolly good. Stuff like - I scream, you scream, everybody loves ice cream - and - Hold That Tiger. But then I quite like Frank Zappa and Herbie Hancock. I can't say I'm enthralled with Country or Western, but there are a few songs that ain't that bad.

I have a soft spot for trad jazz, as it's one of the very few areas in life where my dad and I agreed. My introduction to live music was going to jazz nights with him, often to see his friends play. 

I wondered what all thefuss was about with country, until I heard a series on Radio 2 exploring the post war stuff that was a direct influence on rock 'n' roll. A completely different beast to the soft edged, rhinestone encrusted C&W of today, it was geat. 

Andy

15 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

I wondered what all thefuss was about with country, until I heard a series on Radio 2 exploring the post war stuff that was a direct influence on rock 'n' roll. A completely different beast to the soft edged, rhinestone encrusted C&W of today, it was geat. 

Did it come out of Hillbilly and Bluegrass music? I've an idea it would have been called Western Swing in Roy Acuff's day.  Joe Ely's country rock was supposed to be a reaction to the commercial Memphis country of the 1970s and he supported the Clash at some of their early gigs.

On 6/24/2020 at 9:16 PM, Ratch said:

No hate for jazz here, not at all ! Not an expert but I quite like a few very different variations.. love Dave Brubeck and at the same time I love the "manouche" jazz of Django Reinhardt.

And while not jazz, I love listening to swing music, always puts me in a good mood.

And Zappa... he's IMHO one of those few that deserve the title of "Genius", I believe that anyone with an interest in music going beyond listening to the radio while driving should have a few of his works in his collection.

• Like 1

Jazz is one of those forms of music I just don't get, in fact it irritates me, I think it exudes a certain level of smuggness, you have all these very talented musicians all playing their own thing in their own time all claiming that they're playing the same tune and if you just don't get it you're a pleb!

In which case I'd rather be a pleb thanks very much!

3 hours ago, Wez said:

Jazz is one of those forms of music I just don't get, in fact it irritates me, I think it exudes a certain level of smuggness, you have all these very talented musicians all playing their own thing in their own time all claiming that they're playing the same tune and if you just don't get it you're a pleb!

In which case I'd rather be a pleb thanks very much!

I think that's modern jazz - not trad jazz

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

What's your opinion if you have had a chance to listen ?

I couldn't get it on free to air, I think we need a new TV antenna, but I found SBS Chill channel 869 on Foxtel, not sure if it is the same, it plays some decent music, but there's no title screen so I've no idea what track I'm listening to.