ETENDARD IVP

KITTY HAWK 1/48 IVP/M KIT

This is my latest Aeronavale model the Etendard IVP – built from the Kittyhawk 1/48 kit which is nicely moulded but I thought the instructions could have been better in being more precise in placing the smaller parts like hydraulic rams, vents, ejection seat harness, etc – lots of tiny bits to add so you have to be careful they don’t flick out of your tweezers and disappear lost in the carpet forever! The rear fuselage is provided as a separate unit with jet engine which I thought a bit gimmicky & needs careful work on the join if you decide to fix the tail in place – would rather have seen some intake trunking instead – despite that with a bit of care it makes up into a nice model.

• Included in the kit is a neat little boarding ladder – the bracing between the top rung and the pad that sits against the fuselage is not provided so I added that with a piece of brass wore bent to shape.
  • Kit decals were mainly used but the pale grey numbers and MARINE lettering came from Berna Decals sheet BD48-47.
  • I shortened the main undercarriage legs by 1mm and cut off the nose wheel fork and added a wedge of plastic card before rejoining so the angle was increased – both of which gave the jet a higher nose up attitude.
  • I scratch built the intake blanks from plastic card and brass wire.
  • Fitted an ALKAN POD made by L’arsenal to the outer starboard pylon.
  • 625 LTR fuel tanks were fitted to inner pylons – these were spares from my Kinetic Super
  • Etendard build.
  • Wheel chocks are in resin by L’arsenal & are very nice castings
  • A forward radar warning antenna was added to the fin leading edge & was also a spare from the Kinetic kit
  • Painted with Hobby Colour aqueous acrylic –
  • H304 FS36118
  • H337 FS35237

IMG-0315.jpgIMG-0320.jpg

IMG-0330.jpgIMG-0326.jpg

IMG-0332.jpgIMG-0334.jpg

IMG-0337.jpgIMG-0336.jpg

IMG-0340.jpg

Below photo with Kinetic Super Etendard SEM

IMG-0345.jpg

Below - My current Aeronavale line up - the iPhone camera seems to have distorted the photo  on the right hand side of this photo

IMG-0347.jpg

IMG-0349.jpg

Cheers CJP

Edited by CJP
photos
  • Like 20

What a wonderful Etendard,.  It is nice to see one of these built up.  I think your build is great and the Gunze colours look spot on.

Well done for mastering the KH kit.

cheers, Zhizhou 

• Thanks 1

Very nice! Thanks for posting, good to have a 48th Etendard to look at, it is inspiring me to tackle the Heller 1:72 in my stash, (which will need inspiration to make into a reasonably detailed model!)

• Thanks 1

Hello CJP,

Thanks for sharing your latest construction with us.

You did quite a lot of alterations to the IVM.

Good to see them all parked together.

The French Naval Air Arm is quite impressive, in numbers and professionalism.

Taking into consideration, that the French like to do it all on their own, like industry, training and operations.

Long deployments worldwide.

Regards,

Orion.

Edited by Orion
  • Thanks 1

Hi CJP,

Beautiful IV P! Congrats!

Painting just right. Now all you need is the Crouze and the IV M!!!

And the Rafale, of course...

Coming soon, I have the Heller 1/72 kit of the Etendard IV M on my build list. Not as detailed as the 1/48 offering you just built, but it is still an iconic figure of la Royale.

Great show and superb line up.

JR

• Thanks 1

Nice job......I have one of these in the 'to do' pile (OKATS) which I am planning to complete with the well documented damage caused by a Serbian SAM over Bosnia back in the 1990s.

Well Done, Sir ! 

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all of you for your kind comments - both the Kinetic and Kitty Hawk kits were nice to build.

7 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Nice job......I have one of these in the 'to do' pile (OKATS) which I am planning to complete with the well documented damage caused by a Serbian SAM over Bosnia back in the 1990s.

Well Done, Sir ! 

I have seen that photo of the SAM damaged Etendard so look forward to see you do that model

8 hours ago, jean said:

Hi CJP,

Beautiful IV P! Congrats!

Painting just right. Now all you need is the Crouze and the IV M!!!

And the Rafale, of course...

Coming soon, I have the Heller 1/72 kit of the Etendard IV M on my build list. Not as detailed as the 1/48 offering you just built, but it is still an iconic figure of la Royale.

Great show and superb line up.

JR

I must admit the Crouze and Rafale have been considered but I think I will try and build the Dynavector Scimitar next

CJP

• Like 1