Noorduyn Norseman Forest Service -modified Revell 1/72 kit

A substitute is made for that tailwheel holder:

IMG_0281+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

US Forest Service planes had a faring protecting the tailwheel. You may think of it as a fat ventral fin located immediately before the tailwheel, since these planes often delivered -as explained above- liquids, or seeds, and other stuff that may have harmed it.

IMG_0282+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The first coats of diverse colors are applied:

IMG_0283+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 11

12 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Jumping from a Norseman. We Canadians did it too!

49963872556_dacccac338_o.jpg

Chris

Thanks Dogsbody,

I used to see the lawndarts practicing in NE BC before I got into the fire fighting side of things and always wondered why the left the perfectly good airplane behind.     Was able to tour the smoke jumper museum in Missoula, Montana which is great for USFS history and thank a few of the guys for coming up to Fort Mac earlier that season but a pregnant wife meant I could not dawdle at the time and give it all justice.     Did get to see the guys take off on the new Sherpa's they have for a jump machine but the crews there preferred the old DC-3's due to more jumpers per plane.

There are some fuzzy recollections of jumping trials out of Edmonton as well but I believe that was RCAF and the earlier predecessors to the SARTEC role and not smoke jumpers.  Still not much luck finding Norseman pictures for Alberta in forestry.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Courageous said:

Glad to see good repairs carried out on your display builds.

Stuart 

Thanks, Stuart.

The rest of the repairs (missing struts and control cables and such) were added yesterday. All is well now!

A bit more painting ensues:

IMG_0285+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I love the interior work, especially the home-made wood paneling!  This old thing would've rattled and shaken the passengers.  No real noise insulation of which to speak!

Thanks!

I know nothing about the type, but perhaps those thick walls had some padding and nose-abating filler. Being workhorses, I doubt many comforts were introduced or kept, but they were also aimed (at least in the ads) to the civil market, to the go-fish-in-the-wild*-in-your-pond-of-choice sort of public.

But no restroom, that's the real shame. Brrrr!!!!!

*"-Where there are no bidets!" would say Poirot

• Like 1

The clear parts are already glued on the fuselage sides; cabin almost done, lacking only the cargo packages* that are delayed by the sore state of the mail services.
*Packages consist of Eddie Izzard's DVDs, several samples of Monty Python's Big Red Book, Sasquatch fodder (organic, consisting mostly of dehydrated and powdered right wing politicians), Didgeridoos, Tour D'Argent and French Laundry food rations for the crew, Gin & Tonic making kit, Toilets and bidets, Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching, Stock-books for stamp collectors, Tea sandwiches, Silver spoons, crocheted teapot covers, stuffed alligators (to scare any potentially aggressive wildlife), Cricket bats, Crickets and Bats (for musical effect and Halloween decoration), Watercoloring supplies, Paint-by-numbers booklets, Telephone guide, Martini olives, The ghost of Christmas past, Anti-flatulence pills for Martians.

IMG_0304+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Looking good Moa.   I liked the cargo manifest on the higher class passenger.   Made me think of the odd collection of self sanity items lookout observers have packed into towers for the summer.     The fellow who packed a highend tape recorder and would layer instrument over instrument all summer ala Mike Oldfield was especially talented.

Only thing I keep thinking with your big red box is what's inside and what would be center of trim for the aircraft?  unless it's filled with pillows it seems off to me but the rest of the interior is bang on for layout including small cramped seats in the back.  But advantage of sitting in back is you don't have to work radios and can sleep?  

Looking good and it's coming along great.

foresterab

• Like 3

Thanks for the clarification of whats in the box guys :).

I'd seen didgeridoos shipped on helicopters but not martians.   Dreams of martians for all.   Sounds like they're all set for camp for a long long long stay in the woods away from people. 

Looking good Moa,

foresterab 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

Yep, looking good.

As a matter of interest, what aspect of the modeling process do you enjoy the most and least, just something I ask now and then?

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Personally, in my own work:

I enjoy researching, and the engineering, surgery and construction involved in either making conversions, adaptations, or additions to achieve a more accurate model or to turn it into something different.

I absolutely and most emphatically hate puttying/sanding/priming/repeat.

Socially, as a group:

I enjoy a modicum of gentle banter and jokes involving cultural humor and the like. And more practically when fellow modelers show the hows and with what, when you see effort to improve; and I do enjoy of course different, unusual aircraft, needless to say civil in nature or service.

I do not enjoy at all when somebody gets in the case of somebody else pointing perceived defects, inaccuracies, etc., especially when those can't be fixed at the stage when the criticism is made. This requires a fine balance, because we all need input to improve, and on the other hand we need encouragement to overcome our limitations.

After a long life of teaching, I can certainly say that I will chose a praise over a criticism -however just or justified the latter may be- ANY TIME, because encouragement produces in the medium and long term fantastic results, while pointing defects produces exactly the opposite, demoralizes, leads to paralysis, and induces insecurity and fear of taking risks.

I enjoy BM a lot, some of its content anyway, and am grateful for this space. I only wish BM would add a tap you install in your computer so they can provide a cold, good IPA, and a very pithy single malt chaser, directly from the Foglands.

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Yes, very nice, Claudio :)

Martin

You are very kind, Martin!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1