Noorduyn Norseman Forest Service -modified Revell 1/72 kit

This is a great build and I think it's a real looker. 

Going to be fantastic on floats. 

And your references and research are second to none! 

Yea, you've got a few on the go at the moment. I hope the postal service picks up soon and you can complete with a grand flourish! 

😎

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

This is a great build and I think it's a real looker. 

Going to be fantastic on floats. 

And your references and research are second to none! 

Yea, you've got a few on the go at the moment. I hope the postal service picks up soon and you can complete with a grand flourish! 

😎

Thanks a bunch, Rob.

Although... if you read the post... the floats are not for this model, but for a DH89 Dragon Rapide that did the Buenos Aires (Argentina)- Colonia (Uruguay) route, owned by Expreso del Plata (Uruguayan outfit).

If you have read further still, you would have found that I never intended to build this model, but only scrounge its floats; but realizing that the kit came with skis and wheels too, it felt beneath a modeler's honor to consign it to the spares box, and I started to build it.

No Kit Left Behind

• Like 3

I must tell that I had a flight in a Norseman some 2-3 years ago. One of the original Norwegian Air Force Norseman, still flying, has been purchased by the RNoAF Museum, repainted in its original colours, and is operated as a flying museum. I booked an hour's flight, and invited some friends to share the expenses.

After its RNAF (as it was then) service, it was sold to a Norwegian civilian operator, given registration LN-TSN. It later went to Sweden, where it has been flying "bush flights" until it was bought back 3-4 years ago. Now formally with its previous Norwegian civil registration. The rear cabin window was installed during its service in Sweden.

https://www.luftfartsmuseum.no/norseman

I will definitely do it again.

Nils

• Like 1

The kit's prop is a... try, but falls short of reality, having the counterweights as vertical pips for demolding reasons and a starving boss:

IMG_0220+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

So I made another crossing alu tube and resin prop blades donated by Lars Opland of Khee-Kha vac kits fame:

IMG_0217+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Here the little nut on the axle:

IMG_0221+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Counterweights:

IMG_0222+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

And the securing bolts, that once the superglue is set will be trimmed back to size:

IMG_0223+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 10

I decided to remove one of the aft doors.

IMG_0231+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

This of course means the I will have to develop some interior, concocting what a Forest Service plane may have had.

One photo of these planes shows what it looks like a spray bar, another a tray on the belly with many channels in its back edge, possible for seeding, or to deliver spotted dicks to the crews on the ground.

I am a bit puzzled as to how the door was held once opened, and although some photos show long hinged bars, others show not trace of this device:

(Photo from Alberta Aviation Museum)

https://www.albertaaviationmuseum.com/otw_pm_portfolio/noorduyn-norseman-iv/

It should look like this, surely supported by a force field:

IMG_0233+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 1

Damn it! None of my pictures from the Alberta Aviation Museum show that detail either. I was trying to get interior shots and never thought about what keeps the door open. I really need to up my game when it comes to taking detail photos of aircraft.

I just get a bit excited when I get close to historic aircraft.

49 minutes ago, Moa said:

possible for seeding, or to deliver spotted dicks to the crews on the ground.

To quote John Goodman's character in the movie King Ralph: Dick of what?

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Let's see... what would a Forest Service plane carry in the cabin...
May be an Argentinian plane would carry this:

IMG_0236+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

A pirate's treasure chest? It will be a brilliant idea to bury it in the forest, those silly buggers looking for it in remote islands and sunken wreaks will be deceived! the fools!:

IMG_0238+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Post office mailboxes so the crew can send letters home? Cellphone reception is bad out there in the wild...

IMG_0239+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Since they sometimes have to fight wildfires, a fire hydrant may come useful:
IMG_0240+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

Marine Wildlife! Hum, may be not for a forest, unless it's a kelp forest, but planes will not do well in such environment. Sort of damp down there.
And in any case, the current administration is cancelling protection and funding for wildlife care, and to National Parks, and to the environment protection in general. We are doomed!

IMG_0242+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

I now: nothing like an Alpine Yodeling-Accompanying Band to cheer us up!

IMG_0243+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

5 hours ago, Moa said:

Let's see... what would a Forest Service plane carry in the cabin...
May be an Argentinian plane would carry this:

IMG_0236+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

So is that why the Argentinian capital got the name of Boi nos Ares? 😁  That's what the Brazilians claim.

• Haha 1

Another Moa build thread that seems to passed me by :crying:. The Norseman is another floatplane on my list but the last time I looked, they were going for silly money. Lots of detail from yourself and other contributors. Good show.

Stuart

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Courageous said:

Another Moa build thread that seems to passed me by :crying:. The Norseman is another floatplane on my list but the last time I looked, they were going for silly money. Lots of detail from yourself and other contributors. Good show.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I bought mine for a comfortable price, as I just wanted the floats to start with (but I am not doing this a floater, as stated in the thread).

May be those prices are for the 1/48th offerings?

Unless this build has de-stabilized the kit market...

Run! go buy Matchbox stock!

• Like 1

Last night I did a lot of looking ( well, maybe about 40 minutes ) but I couldn't see what might keep the portside rear door open.

Chris

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Last night I did a lot of looking ( well, maybe about 40 minutes ) but I couldn't see what might keep the portside rear door open.

Chris

I am telling you Chris, it's the Power of the Force!

Feel, it Chris, It surrounds us, permeates us, and it binds the galaxy together!

Matrix's Neo: -There Is No Hinge

• Like 2
  • Haha 2