Greetings from Kiwiland

Wirestrike

Hi all,  

So a bit about me. Rather a diverse background - folks were British, I was born in South Africa and went on to fly fixed wings (including Harvards) and helicopters for the SAAF and SAPS under 2 rather different governments from 1984 - 2001). I now live in New Zealand. My wife and I both had family members killed in WWII (not 100% sure about WWI or the Boer war - although I believe so wrt both of these wars).

So, joining to find out more, perhaps ask a question or two and see what info there is to assist with this ever-increasing stash of model kits I have as well as get any info or photos people may have when it comes to family members and specific campaigns.

Re my username - not very difficult to guess - I am the survivor of a very serious wirestrike whilst flying a BO105 in the line of duty. Lost my medical but lived to tell the tale. 

Thanks for having me 😉

• Like 2

Hello Wirestrike... :post1: from the windy city of Chicago. I salute your service and happy to see you survived that. Id like to do a few SAAF post WW2 subjects someday, most notably an F-86, Mirage, and Shackleton. Ive done a Hurricane IIC and have plans for another Mk.I and would like to do a Spitfire and Kittyhawk also.  I like helo’s but they always turn into disasters so I've stopped building them. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dennis the Blabber Mouth :-). From one windy city to another - I am in Windy Wellington. Thank you for the kind words. There is a very good story about a SAAF Shackleton that ditched in the Sahara desert at night whilst en route to the UK from SA in 1994 ( https://samilhistory.com/2016/01/23/the-sad-fate-of-pelican-16/ ). May make for an excellent diorama if you're that way inclined. There is you tube coverage about the story as well ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCemSU7kAdc - link to Part 1 of 2). As for Mirages, we used F1AZs; F1CZs and Mirage III in the Bush war (South West African / Angolan conflict from 1966 to 1989). I have some decent reference material for those if you wish. F-86s were used by 2 Sqn (The Flying Cheetahs) in Korea alongside your fellow countrymen. It was also the first aircraft type to break the speed of sound on SA soil (I have an article which I obtained from the pilot - John Inglesby - who I spoke to a couple of months before he passed away). 

So, when you get to building SAAF aircraft give me a shout and I will see what I can dig up for you - or direct you to a source to try get info.

Cheers,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wirestrike said:

So, when you get to building SAAF aircraft give me a shout and I will see what I can dig up for you - or direct you to a source to try get info.

Hi Adrian, hope I can avail myself of your info when I get to it, I've a few SAAF types in my long term plans. I spent s few months in SA in 1983-84, saw a Shackleton fly out of Capetown & Mirages from an airbase between Joburg & Pretoria. I had a great time there, the hospitality was awesome, being a Kiwi helped, rugby a common language. :) Braais & Castle Lager were great ice breakers too. I'm to your west in Nelson.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi Adrian,

greetings from one newbie to another.  I have 2 tenuous connections with your background.  I have familiy in NZ that I've never met (my uncle emigrated to Wellington from the UK just before I was born in 1957) which I might remedy one day if we are ever allowed to travel again!!

Secondly, I believe SA also operated Buccaneers at some stage - interest being they were a product of the firm from which I've just retired.  I might get around to modelling one at some stage, so if you have details on those I would be interested.  The other connection is that I believe one of the test pilots from Warton was involved with airshows including Buccaneers and Lightnings (Thunder City?) he being a total Lightning fanatic.   I was a junior aerodynamicist in 1986/87 when he was involved in testing EAP and remember being in the flight test monitor room on occasions when he flew it.  Prior to that aircraft, the story goes that he divided all aircraft into 2 types - Lightnings and Targets!! 🙂  EAP was a bit of a revelation after the Tornados and Jaguars that preceded it.  I don't know him directly but know a couple of chaps who do, so maybe we could tap into that area as another source of info?   He was a bit of a "character" and amongst other things flew what we came to know as the cabriolet Tornado - but thats another story ......

Sorry to ramble a bit, but welcome.

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks all, it's great to be welcomed so warmly - and have so much in common with fellow members here. 

Steve and Rob, you're welcome to knock on the door and see what I have wrt SAAF a/c and details when you're ready. 

Steve,

I lived in Nelson for just under 5 years (relocated to Welly in June 2019). Will visit again sometime - when International travel from the North Island to the South island is allowed again :-).

Rob,

The SAAF did indeed operate Buccs - 24 Sqn - and used them operationally in the SWA/Angolan conflict. The squadron was disbanded in 1991. Some info here for you: https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/435181-saaf-blackburn-buccaneer-s-mk50-easy-rider/   as well as here: https://www.saairforce.co.za/

Thunder City in Cape town had Buccs and Lightnings. Sadly they pretty much ceased operations after a bad Lightning crash and related fatality (a Lightning T5, registered ZU-BEX) at an airshow (the official report pointed fingers at the aircraft owners for poor maintenance and failure to maintain safety standards). That being said, to my knowledge the CAA had a part to play as well but that is for talk over a beer. The pilot, Dave Stock, whom I knew very well whilst we were still in the SAAF, was killed. Sad day indeed. Some info here (hard for me to watch): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hLvufAknW8

Cheers.

On 28/05/2020 at 05:30, Wirestrike said:

Thanks all, it's great to be welcomed so warmly - and have so much in common with fellow members here. 

Steve and Rob, you're welcome to knock on the door and see what I have wrt SAAF a/c and details when you're ready. 

Steve,

I lived in Nelson for just under 5 years (relocated to Welly in June 2019). Will visit again sometime - when International travel from the North Island to the South island is allowed again :-).

Rob,

The SAAF did indeed operate Buccs - 24 Sqn - and used them operationally in the SWA/Angolan conflict. The squadron was disbanded in 1991. Some info here for you: https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/435181-saaf-blackburn-buccaneer-s-mk50-easy-rider/   as well as here: https://www.saairforce.co.za/

Thunder City in Cape town had Buccs and Lightnings. Sadly they pretty much ceased operations after a bad Lightning crash and related fatality (a Lightning T5, registered ZU-BEX) at an airshow (the official report pointed fingers at the aircraft owners for poor maintenance and failure to maintain safety standards). That being said, to my knowledge the CAA had a part to play as well but that is for talk over a beer. The pilot, Dave Stock, whom I knew very well whilst we were still in the SAAF, was killed. Sad day indeed. Some info here (hard for me to watch): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hLvufAknW8

Cheers.

My sincere apologies.  I didn't wish to bring back bad memories.   Many thanks for the info.   reagrds,  R

• Thanks 1

On 28/05/2020 at 16:58, Jo NZ said:

Have you come across IPMS Wellington?

Hi Jo NZ, nope, not yet. I know there is a modelling club in J/ville but have not been out yet. Is that the IPMS one as well or another? If so, please send me a PM re dates and times of meetings etc. Cheers mate.