Lockheed PV1 and Lodestar in 1.48 (Civil) )

Your halfway there but boredom can breed sloppy work.  Like some of mine.

watching  a good program on Blaze 63 (freeview) .  The U-2 and Area51.  Shouldn’t watch it as I probably open my U-2 kit box.

Dennis

While I'm on the case, I'm making a copilot's seat to resemble the left hand seat that's supplied. The kit has a fold down jumpseat to allow access to the bomb-aimer's stairs, and folding rudder pedals...?? 

IMG_20200703_232703

The method is to make the main parts together and then clippers to finish when set. 

IMG_20200703_232624

The change to the cockpit door can be seen there with the thin wedge strip glued to the right side to even up the lopsided shape given for the Ventura. 

And I've removed the staircase and blanked off the opening with cockpit floor 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Shouldn’t watch it as I probably open my U-2 kit box.

Uh-oww! 

A Giant Sopwith, a 1.48 Lockheed Twin, and a U2 on the bench ⁉️😀At the same time ‼️

Now steady on....... 

• Like 5

I agree the second seat looks to be more than a fold down.  See this RAAF version

49542041642_2db1e21f40.jpgNOEMFOOR_ISLAND_DUTCH_NEW_GUINEA_C_1944_08_RAAF_SERVICEMEN_ON_DUTY_AND_LEAVE_SEATED_IN_A_LOCKHEED_LODESTAR_AIRCRAFT_OF_NO_37_SQUADRON_RAAF_FOR_THE_FLIGHT_FROM_NOEMFOOR_ISLAND_TO_AUSTRALIA_AWM_OG1530 by tankienz, on Flickr

And this stripped example under restoration.  Just possible to see right hand seat.

50073936632_8da6cfc197.jpgIMG_5618_zps5dce0019 by tankienz, on Flickr

Edited by dcrfan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dcrfan said:

Just possible to see right hand seat.

And a clear photo of the spar.  Thanks, I had been wondering how it impacted the interior.

6 hours ago, Moa said:

Indeed

Ah, Moa, could have guessed you made one, or more, of these.  Very pretty, your usual meticulous modelling.  Excellent photography also.

Dennis

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

While I'm on the case,

You are indeed and the that’s a fair copy of the left hand seat.  Two good mods to help me along.

7 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Now steady on

Yes, resisted the urge although the old films of those silver birds were very seductive.  Far too much interesting stuff out there to play with.  Even wire wheeled, fender less race cars. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Great work everyone, loving the interior and seats, plus the build up of the tail extension to.  The Dakota looks great in the background too.

Th Vacforms look fantastic Dennis.

Keep up the good work.

All the best

Chris

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Th Vacforms look fantastic Dennis

Thanks, Chris, doing the extensions over as I wasn’t happy with the fit.

Okay, finally admitted to myself that in order to get a better fitting extension I was going to have to lop off the tail and match up the mould with the blunt end. But first I fitted the dorsal and belly plug and cemented I them in.  The extension halves are lightly glued together with a thin slip of balsa between them.  After reshaping I split them apart and vacuum formed each half. See #167. Much better now and with that most of the plunging and vacuum forming is done.

resized_491622a9-9d76-4d29-b59a-e1e0c020

Beauty in-air of a Lodestar with roundels.

resized_cc941772-fc31-4b14-bced-113ebb94

Thanks for dropping in.

Dennis

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have seating plan. 

IMG_20200704_192136

It looks like there is a bit of an issue with the spar position that makes for a rather uncomfortable ride for the passenger in the 2nd seat! 

But it's such a crucial part of the model structure, I'm not going to mess with it. Nothing can be seen down there, and I'm not cutting holes in the spar either. 

Really the noticeable features will be seat headrests and I think they're about right in relation to the windows. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

I have seating plan. 

It looks like there is a bit of an issue with the spar position that makes for a rather uncomfortable ride for the passenger in the 2nd seat! 

But it's such a crucial part of the model structure, I'm not going to mess with it. Nothing can be seen down there, and I'm not cutting holes in the spar either. 

Really the noticeable features will be seat headrests and I think they're about right in relation to the windows. 

You are doing well, there.

Remember: only 33% occupancy, and passengers please wear the darn masks!

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, DMC said:

Beauty in-air of a Lodestar with roundels.

That's a great looking Lockheed, isn't it??

Love to know more about it. 

The MPM Lodestar kit is the camo and drab schemes for wartime BOAC and Norwegian planes. I wonder if they stripped and polished them up in peacetime like this? 

Colours for the flash stripes and cowling bands are a mystery. Yellow?? 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Nice reference but gets a wee bit confused between Hudson, Hudson transport, Lodestar and Ventura in some captions.  The one showing a ground looped Hudson at Rockville Airfield gave me a smile as I used to live beside that airfield for a couple of years.  

• Like 1

These pieces just tacked to check for fit.  Looks as though they’ll be okay.  Several hours of work getting to this stage. 

resized_daaba721-9daf-4d21-98be-c11f1c36

resized_a81b9ef3-c49c-4ae8-9ef7-956c0edf

Thanks for dropping in

Dennis

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Several hours of work getting to this stage. 

I KNOW!! 

Where does the time go? It seems that we have a method for turning time into dust and shards. 

The tail looks tidy OK 

20 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

The tail looks tidy OK

Thanks Rob.  Are you opening the rear door or scribing it  I’m undecided.  Not interested in showing the door to the lav.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Are you opening the rear door or scribing it  I’m undecided.  

The passenger door got cut out at the same time as the window openings, some time ago. And the military door filled and rubbed away. 

I've also opened the cargo hatch at the front. 

With the passenger door open I'll make an effort in the entrance, with a door frame for the backroom and a folding seat for the attendant. And the backs of the rear seats. 

Thanks, Rob, couldn’t remember.  Backed up to #113 and #153.  Nice clean removal. I’ll have to give it some thought.

Meanwhile, tacked everything together, tail extension will do.  The Ventura tail wheel yoke pretty good but the wheel looked small so I borrowed one from another kit.  That scissor not on the Lodestar.  

resized_f15dfc2a-ecc1-4a8f-bd12-f08ace8d

resized_8fea3951-687f-470a-b981-1bf6381d

Thanks for looking in.

Dennis

• Like 9