Lockheed PV1 and Lodestar in 1.48 (Civil) )

Experimenting with seats.  Fourteen in the cabin unless it’s military, which it is not, and only a corner of the headrest will be seen.  Still, unable to resist a little problem solving, i’m up to four made and think i’ve worked out how to make the remaining ten with a minimum of fuss.  

I’ve re-contoured the moulds a little a vaced a set of cushions. The moulds are CAed to a piece of that abrasive screen to keep them from wandering about.  That little bit of webbing will be trimmed away.  I used .030 styrene for this set.

resized_afac284e-3b93-4530-a466-e77e923c

In the order in which they were made.  Number three in the full recline position, annoying hell out of the passenger in four.  Except for the fact that I like doing this stuff, I could have saved a lot of time by using curtains.  As in this photo.

resized_2f03b3d4-18f2-4300-b847-f5184fbf

resized_4d51dc8f-bc94-4358-aff7-7c80edbf

Thanks for dropping in

Dennis

• Like 8

These are very good, Dennis. You're great at a bit of mould tinkering and lateral thinking! 

Rather more sophisticated than my efforts. 🤠

See what I mean about the spar position in relation to the 2nd row? 

I think Revell has moved it to suit the model's requirements rather than scale accuracy. 

But I don't think it's worth interfering with as it's a crucial part of the structure and works well. I can tell you from observation of the Ventura that it won't be seen without surgical equipment! 

Did you spot the little jump seat on the rear bulkhead wall? If you are opening the door then that's going to be the most visible item, and the last row. 👍

There's a row of 5 or 6 "beads" along the fuselage sides above the window line. Any ideas? 

Air vents perhaps? There's one given on each side of the Ventura right by the astrodome that could be used as reference I guess. Little beads of ca or pva glue......? 

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

These are very good

Thanks, Rob, I was going to follow your lead and just do a simplified version to save time but wouldn’t have saved that much so my curiosity got the best of me.

Did follow your lead after noting that you installed the kit flooring. I hadn’t intended to but thought that the kit floor with a removable flooring overlay might be easier to work with so made up another, thinner, floor and that gas worked out okay.

Not going to mess with the spar.   Looks okay where it is and, as you point out, won’t be seen anyway.

Yes about the jump seat.  Still undecided about the door.

You mean these beads?

resized_1894d1b7-b6fc-468c-bdac-934ebd33

Funny, but I was going to ask you about them.  At first thought they might be lights.  But why? Just look like metal bumps .  What about bolt covers for the interior overhead luggage rack? They would require heavy fasteners.  No more ideas.

Do you know of Sidney Cotton?  Pity there isn’t an Electra 12 kit,

resized_45b885b9-8581-44bb-be93-4a2cda22

https://www.ptleader.com/stories/wwii-spy-plane-ready-for-takeoff,68259

Dennis

Edited by DMC
Photo
  • Like 3

I'm going to get the Ali tape on the fuselage sides before doing the windows. 

IMG_20200709_203632

Top and bottom can be done after the join up. 

I'll cut the apertures once I get the metal buffed on, and the wing root needs clearing out too. 

This is better fun than arranging furniture ‼️

😎

• Like 4

Just taking a break from making a kind of stencil (ladder with very wide, flat’ rungs) for spacing the window evenly al in one go. Did you measure and cut one at a time or what? 

Always interesting when you do that foil thing you. 

Dennis

I'm trying to remember, Dennis! 

I did them some time ago before putting the kit away. It was before I got the drawings, and I'm pleased to say that they match up well. 

I took the the front windows supplied with the kit as being in the right place. They agreed with everything I could see on pictures etc. And I drew two lines parallel towards the back. I established the door position on the port side, and the rear window is just in front of the doorway. 

The 2nd window back - the 1st one that needs cutting - can be positioned relative to the spar slot. And then it's even spacings between. 

Drawn on In pencil. The window size is taken from the kit one. 

IMG_20200709_210937

Visible there is the other kit window aperture in white. This needs filling in and smoothing before the new ones are cut. 

There's also a little window on the starboard side that needs the same. I used the kit transparency to blank that one 

The starboard side spacing is copied from the port.

Once you're convinced that the pencil lines are correct, you can drill them! 

I marked drilling points inside the outline for each corner to be drilled out to 2.5mm bit size. Now I wish I'd gone for a bigger final bit size which would produce a bigger radius in the corners. 3mm at least. 

Then do lines of small holes inside the window outlines, then chop them out with a good blade cutting through the holes. 

As long as you're inside the lines the plastic can be filed away, straightened up and adjusted 

Any help?? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Rob, I’ve taken all the above on board.  It’s all down to the seat/widow lineup.  Can’t move the windows so the seat location might deviate from the plans we are using.  The kit spar location sort of screws things up a bit.  Taking my time with this, too easy to mess things up.

Added the inclined part of the floor today and a bulkhead but moving away from opening up the cabin door so it ends there.  No mirrors, vanity cabinet or mini loo rolls.  

I think cabin windows should show some curtain.  Most of them do in the photos 

Plenty to do.

• Like 2

I’ve found polymer clay to be quite useful as a modelling aid.  Moulds for plunge moulding and vacuum forming can be sculpted and polished to a smooth finish for canopies, etc.  A small piece pressed into the kits fuselage, removed and baked serves as a pattern for an internal bulkhead.

Not trustingly my freehand abilities, nor my vision, anymore I made up a template to use in locating the windows in the correct position on both sides.

resized_e9673026-9f5b-4ba8-bc12-2a9244dc

Inclined floor, seat guides rails and bulkhead.  The seats will probably need re-positioning after the windows are cut out.

resized_0660e177-77f9-4210-b232-f575d416

Thanks for dropping in

Dennis

• Like 5

Well, after the better part of the morning, the port side windows are cut out.   Measured, re-measured, plans and photos checked repeat on the starboard side.  A bit nerve racking I admit and mistakes can be repaired but getting it right the first time is a mo jo boost.  Getting the wind to fit will be a challenge as they will all be slightly different in size.  

Giving the Lodestar a couple days rest as the Camel needs a little attention.

resized_6ca6b07f-6289-4ebb-bc3b-87586d69

Thanks  for dropping in 

Dennis

• Like 7

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

That looks about right to me

Good! Went back over your explanation but stayed away from the corners with the drill bit. Got close but finished them off with a small round file and a scalpel.  Interested to see how you handle the windows, and paint.

Went back to the beginning and read everything over.  Did you really outfit the loo?  Thought it was a windup😆

5 hours ago, DMC said:

windup😆

😎

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Interested to see how you handle the windows, and paint.

I've had some practice with the windows on the Ventura, and all I can tell you is "one at a time!" 

You're right they'll all prove to be slightly different, or most of them. 

I've got clear styrene but I need to get some glue that is more forgiving on the clear surfaces. And not be clumsy. 

My tendency is to fix them from the inside with the outside of the fuselage on the mat, so when the window is pushed in, it goes on the mat and finishes flush with the outer surface. 

It never is as simple as that, though 🧐

Paint?? I've no idea what the finished decor will be, but bare metal will be the main style. 

Inside will be Washes of...... something pastel and a bit of care on the headrests. I painted curtains before, just streaky brush stroke yellow ochre mix, and they look OK. 

That's all I've got so far 

Ah, toilet windows. One is drilled and filed to shape already - it's right in the modification area! I've filled them with PVA on the Ventura and I'm happy with the look so probably do the same on the Lodestar 

😎

• Like 2

I've read how you drill lots of holes to make each window so I'll share my method. Pick a point on the centre of the window, stab in a modelling knife with thin blade, or a small triangular file, then twist around opening out the hole until you get close to edges.  Continue to open out hole with round files into corners then tidy up the sides with straight file.  Overall a much quicker process.   

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DMC said:

Thought it was a windup

Thought you were winding Moa up about outfitting the “washroom” up and it being better than his.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, dcrfan said:

I'll share my method

Thanks for that. Probably a few ways to manage it.  My main concern was with the spacing and evenness of the row of openings.  The template was very useful as both sides match up.

Dennis

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work fellas

Another nice morale bump from you, Chris.  Very much appreciated.

Stay safe

Dennis

• Like 1

Starboard side done!  A window seat for everyone.

resized_eefcea48-419e-4fc5-86a9-2f01e486

Colour of seats and aisle carpet?  Maroon perhaps.

Thanks for dropping in.

Dennis

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Moa said:

You guys are an inspiration

Thank you, Moa.  

Incidentally, I remember watching those programs back in the early ‘60s.  Except House which is more recent of course.

Dennis

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Moa said:

You guys are an inspiration.

The level of skill is remarkable, as well as your commitment.

Your kit surgeries should be featured in episodes of Dr. Kildare, Ben Casey, and House.

General Hospital? St. Elsewhere?