Lockheed PV1 and Lodestar in 1.48 (Civil) )

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Tidy work on all counts, Dennis

Thanks, Rob.  Not sure which bulge you mean but for sure it is not perfect.  Tabs would have to be fixed to make it work.  Biggest problem I had with vacing was the flare around the base. PETG is tricky stuff to work with.  Thickness, temperature and time need to be just right for the best results.  It’s not as forgiving as the white stuff.

Enough experimenting now, though, closing it up will be the main focus.  

......and a little work on the Came.

I’m sure you’ll sort the repairs out to your satisfaction.

Dennis

• Like 1

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Chris 😁. I think I'm about there. Well, it's better than before anyway. 

IMG_20200815_213625

I got back to the original fuselage side under the Tailplane mount and repaired the glue damaged surface. 

I'm often singing the praises of Muller Corner yoghurt pots as a source of styrene. I'm at it again here! 

A carefully selected corner piece of pot with the right amount of curve was persuaded to fit the void from the the Ventura fuselage side down to the centreline joint. Some of the spongy modelling clay I've been messing around with has gone into the void first to support the thin pot plastic. It's also quite gluey stuff and seems to be doing the business behind the plastic. 

A touch of the perfect plastic Putty here and there and the tail is sorted. 

So I'm going on with the foiling process to complete the area 

IMG_20200815_225034

It has the air of a well used and stressed metal airframe, there's no doubt! 

That's all part of the beauty of these planes though, isn't it?? 🤠

More panel detail can be brought out with additional layers of foil if required. 

Nose done, roof done, really just the bottom to do and she's there 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

IMG_20200818_213517

Well, the fuselage is covered. All I need now is a cargo hatch and a passenger door. 

I am having doubts about the shape of the underside being ideal for a Lodestar. 

Looking at the little MPM model in 1.72 there is a look of roundness.... 

IMG_20200818_213608

........ that doesn't really come across with the Ventura. 

I know the MPM model has shortcomings in relation to shape and depth, but.......? 

I'm wondering if the shape was altered to a more boxy profile to accommodate a bomb load and doors, plus a bomb-aimer's window underneath the nose. 

Or am I just imagining things?? 

Maybe I've been messing around with these planes too long 🥴🥳😳

Just that getting the foil on underneath caused me to take a look at the overall shape. 

Thoughts.....? 

15 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Well, the fuselage is covered. All I need now is a cargo hatch and a passenger door. 

I am having doubts about the shape of the underside being ideal for a Lodestar. 

Looking at the little MPM model in 1.72 there is a look of roundness.... 

........ that doesn't really come across with the Ventura. 

I know the MPM model has shortcomings in relation to shape and depth, but.......? 

I'm wondering if the shape was altered to a more boxy profile to accommodate a bomb load and doors, plus a bomb-aimer's window underneath the nose. 

Or am I just imagining things?? 

Maybe I've been messing around with these planes too long 🥴🥳😳

Just that getting the foil on underneath caused me to take a look at the overall shape. 

Thoughts.....? 

John W. Bell plans show something closer to what you have, but never getting to a completely flat bottom, while other plans show a slightly rounder cross-section.

Some others seem to show something in between, for what I can see on the Net at a glance.

I make it clear that have no experience whatsoever with this type, though, and my initial enthusiasm (as I have the kits I posted early on the thread) has completely evaporated, considering all the different variants, modifications, and shenanigans of all the kits. }

Too much information scattered in too many places, and some contradictory.

Sigh...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Moa said:

John W. Bell plans show something closer to what you have, but never getting to a completely flat bottom, while other plans show a slightly rounder cross-section.

Some others seem to show something in between,

That sounds like a free pass to me, Moa! Thanks for the feedback. 

Whatever shape I achieve, it will match some plan or other 😀

I'm not getting all worried about this - - I was sort of thinking out loud and putting it out there, so to speak. 

It is all a bit varied and various with these planes, isn't it? 🤔

• Like 1

Hi Rob, 

Sorry to rain on our parades but it would appear you are on to something re the fuselage belly.  At least as far as this one goes.  I think there is also something about your bomb load theory.

resized_4ed41984-3811-4a50-91c5-ac81105e

Anyway, dashing out, more later.

Dennis

• Like 2

Fixable with some judicious plunge moulding but as you’ve got the doors on and foiled maybe a mod too far.  I’ll mull things over a while before deciding.

resized_426dae6a-64ea-4d9c-bbd9-588bcd77

Dennis 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

I'll stick with what I've got.

Understandable, sometimes you just want to get things over with.

Dennis

1 hour ago, dcrfan said:

Thoughts?

Well that's Interesting. Not a million miles off what you get with the Ventura fuselage, is it? 

From what Moa says, there's quite a variety among the drawings. 

I've used the kit bay doors with the centre line flanges removed to fill the space.. They have a definite local bulge included on the outer doors, but once they are removed the doors do the job OK. And they are looking fairly close to that drawing...... 

Maybe the issue is more up around the front with the aiming window? 

I did a bit of rounding there as it leads up to the nose, just abrasion on the kit plastic. 

Heck, I don’t know, looking at the #308 photo and the semicircle of the lower nose cap that seems to flow right into the rounded  underbelly. If that is indeed a Lodestar then the kit nose bottom is definitely too flat.  My two cents.

Dennis

28 minutes ago, DMC said:

The question is “what do I intend doing about it”. 

Yes! 

It's us who will be doing most of the looking at these artifacts when we're done........ So what will you be happy looking at on the shelf?? 

And what's going to drive you nuts every time you see it..... 😳‼️

Edited by rob Lyttle
Addition

15 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Yes! 

It's us who will be doing most of the looking at these artifacts when we're done........ So what will you be happy looking at on the shelf?? 

And what's going to drive you nuts every time you see it..... 😳‼️

If there was a definitive answer I would look at it differently but there is sufficient doubt that I'm going with existing Lodestar underbody shape.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, dcrfan said:

If there was a definitive answer

Yep, modelling skills and interpretation required here! We're free-styling with this, guys. 

I'm kind of thinking I could have done a bit more abrasion and rounding under the chin and around that aiming window in the lead up to the nose cone. 

But having got this far - and it's a bit more rounded than the 1st Ventura nose-  I'll stick with what I've got and enjoy it. 

😎

Have a good look at a Lodestar from this angle guys.  Definitely not fully rounded but with a hint of flat.  Trust photos a little more than plans?  As I haven’t got the fuselage closed up yet there’s still the option of a correction.  Right now, however, I’m enjoying tinkering with a 747.

resized_f0f01356-2418-4d8e-aa57-bd438883

Dennis

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

Been pretty quiet on the “Twins” thread.lately.  Looks as though you might have moved on to another project?  I’ve been puttering around on the 747 build I started last year all the while thinking about what to do about the Ventura ‘s flat belly.  I’ve done a little work on a, perhaps, solution and I intend, picking up where we left it, to start a new thread titled something like Yada yada converesion rather than one covers all the variants  I should have a couple of photos to post by tomorrow so you can let me know what you think of my “solution”. 

Apprieciate all the help and advice you’ve given me on the Lockheed’s and trust you will approve of what I do.

Cheers

Dennis 

• Like 3

Yes, once I got the fuselage sorted I took a break and started messing around with cars. Then I got a bee in my bonnet about the lack of steering on some of the car kits and started scratch building solutions for that! 

I know I got to tackle the wings and nacelles next on the Lodestar, and to be honest I'm not sure of my approach. 

Posting threads etc, proceed as it suits, Dennis. Make sure that you put the links! 

I'm going to need all the insight and help I can get on the next stages ‼️😎

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, Moa said:

Did I miss something, a RFI?

No!! 😜

Dennis has a dedicated WIP for his ongoing, and a big Camel to be dealt with. 

I took a break once I got the fuselage sorted and ready, because I knew that the next phase is the wings, nacelles, cowlings...... ‼️

And all I have is the kit and a nice pair of resin Wright Cyclones. I'm going to need some serious ideas and a plan of action. 

Then I've got involved with the Heller Group Build..... And opted for these, 

IMG_20201009_174954

IMG_20200927_210557

But I did manage to fit this Airfix reissue Vintage Classics into the schedules, 

IMG_20201012_130318

I must catch up with Dennis's progress. 

I haven't seen anything for some time. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

**NEW YEAR RESOLUTION **

I've really got to get back on the case with the Lodestar! 

2021 is when this job will be dealt with. 

I'm lost in the far reaches of the BM forum, in the Heller Classic Group Build at the moment, but THIS year I'll be back on this. 

@DMC @dcrfan and anyone else with one, any progress....??

😎🧚

• Like 2