Lockheed PV1 and Lodestar in 1.48 (Civil) )

One window done with Kristal Klear as, yet, another experiment.  Very pleased with the result, dead flat and no dust or micr bugs.  A little too much recess but another application should sort that out.  Not sure whether to do them all and paint afterwards or vice versa.  

I tried the suggested method of an application around the opening and drawing it all together with a toothpick but couldn’t get on with that.  A square of clear plastic CA’ed on the inside and the recess filled with thinned Klear worked best.  Time spent has been worth it as now I can forget about having to fit each window individually.  My vision just not up to that.

Thanks for dropping in by.

Dennis

resized_e96a8d64-ba41-432f-ab08-eca5bd75

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, billn53 said:

What do you thin it with?

I used water and mixed it to the consistency of cream but it took about 24 hours to get to the clear stage.  I did wonder whether mixing gin or vodka with the water might speed the drying time up.  Time for another experiment I guess.

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, DMC said:

I did wonder whether mixing gin or vodka with the water might speed the drying time up.  Time for another experiment I guess.

I'd suggest mixing the gin/vodka with tonic over ice in an 8-ounce glass, garnished with a slice of lime. Omit the Krystal Klear. Taste until contents of glass are consumed.

• Haha 3

In spite of Dennis's urging me on to try my hand at plunge moulding a nose piece, I've taken a more familiar approach, incorporating the kit transparency. 

I'd already described the bulbous shape of the piece, and dissed it as a viable option 🙊

Well, I had second thoughts on this. 

I cut it straight down the middle. 

IMG_20200807_201552

Then a bit of judicious sanding on the cut faces towards the front tip, and an adjustment to the faces that fit to the fuselage. Some dry fitting indicated that I was getting close to the required shape and I finally decided to glue one on. 

IMG_20200807_201913

It looked okay so the other side got fixed. 

IMG_20200807_202503

IMG_20200807_202517

All the bulge has gone and there's nothing a bit of light abrasion can't sort. 

One more box ticked 😎

Mind those gun barrel positions though. They have a real tendency to reappear from nowhere! 

• Like 5

Some metal application on the roof and it's starting to look the part. 

IMG_20200807_235811

IMG_20200807_235934

Looking back at this drawing, I think the nose piece is too pointed. The metal Lodestar nose seems to be more blunt and rounded.... 

imageproxy (3)

And WHAT are those 5 bibbles along the side above the windows ⁉️

Somebody must know..... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KayFranz said:

Air outlets for ventilation of the passenger compartment (see below Fig. B, from 4 to 6)

Of course!  Never once thought of that.  Thanks for posting and for the great link.

Dennis

Popped quickly into the LMS for some paint, and what was the first thing I saw? 

I mean I nearly tripped over it 😏‼️

IMG_20200808_215422

I've already picked up the DH Heron "vintage classic"- first issued in 1958, and this is 10yrs later, from 1968. 

First glimpse through the polybag shows some nice clean moulding, with light, raised lines. 

Probably not a big selling model and the toolings are lightly used? 

Anyway, it's good to see these old jobs getting a rerun. I wonder what else they will be able to find... 🤔

• Like 1

Cockpit top (roof) looks good, Rob.  Naturally I had to go about it a different way.  I Sculpted, baked and carved a mould and vacuum formed three windscreen/top piece in plain white styrene.  I found awhile back that an opaque moulding is easier to fit to a fuselage then a clear on.  The one on the fuselage is the first one vaced and it came out near perfect, except the shape of the top is a bit off.  The next one had too much sag as I left it in the oven too long.  Too much sag means too much styrene and the result is webbing.

The final one is pretty good.  I reshaped the mould and let the oven cool down a bit and got no webbing.  I’ll fit this one to the opening and use it as a pattern for the clear one I’ll do in PETG.  

I used the shape of your finished ‘roof” as a guide.

Dennis

resized_857e1269-259e-4821-9bfd-c36607c6

• Like 2

Rob, I don’t think I could get the roof and windscreen cleaned up as you did without messing it up.  Just thought I give scratching one up myself.  

Also, in this photo there is a narrow bit of framework tha devides, on each side, the windscreen into two.  Yet some Lodestar photos show each side as one.  What do you think?

Dennis

resized_cfb22054-d4ad-459f-b556-858e034b

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yet some Lodestar photos show each side as one.  What do you think?

The more you look, the more variations turn up! 

There's all the makeover planes by Lear, Howard and the rest and they all probably had a style change. 

I ve no idea what's going on. 

I noticed our favourite polished airframe has no dividers. 

I think it's "pick one and copy it" if you're worried about detail 

3 hours ago, DMC said:

I don’t think I could get the roof and windscreen cleaned up

If you are nervous about the clear window panels you can put a strip of masking over the area to protect. All of the lines for removal are on the outside of the curve, and the framing around the screens needs to remain. 

Try giving it a go just for the practice and call it Plan B, for backup. 

I used to get real nervous around transparencies but once I got practice at resurfacing and polishing them back up., I'm a bit less precious about them..