RAF Tornado Loadout Query

Nocoolname

Hi folks!

Could someone please help me identify the munitions being carried on these aircraft? I'm hoping to build something like this but can't find details on what the yellow and grey munitions in particular are.

49d7a26761cbf6c6e367a773d44e8c24

Cheers!

Nocool!

27 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

Hi folks!

Could someone please help me identify the munitions being carried on these aircraft? I'm hoping to build something like this but can't find details on what the yellow and grey munitions in particular are.

49d7a26761cbf6c6e367a773d44e8c24

Cheers!

Nocool!

Four Flight Test inert round Storm Shadow missiles,  and two Drill ALARM missiles.

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Storm Shadow is a standoff weapon so range isn't an issues.

The most recent conflicts the RAF have been involved in have all been Deployments so they were "in theatre" also with AAR support.

13 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Four Flight Test inert round Storm Shadow missiles,  and two Drill ALARM missiles.

Selwyn

Apologies for being pedantic but I think the load out is at least 3 and I suspect 4 drill ALARM missiles.

Edited by Agent K
typo
  • Sad 1

Thanks folks!

I’m doing this in 1/48 based on the Revell kit. I have the Storm Shadows already and believe I also  have some Alarm missiles also. What’s still driving me nuts though is not knowing what model ejection seat Revell based their parts on. Broad shape resembles a Mk 10 but the details don’t match making it problematic to source references 😡

2 hours ago, Agent K said:

Apologies for being pedantic but I think the load out is at least 3 and I suspect 4 drill ALARM missiles.

Where's the other two? I'm just seeing one on each wing.

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

I can see the nose of the STBD one poking out from behind the respective Storm Shadow. I think that if there are 2 mounted on the STBD wing shoulder pylons, this is probably repeated on the Pt side.

Edited by Jabba
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, 71chally said:

You can see the nose of the second one appearing behind the nearest Storm Shadow, and hence there being at least 3, and my surmising then that the probable initial load out would therefore be 4; with 2 on each wing with the 4th hidden behind the farthest Storm Shadow.

2 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Thanks folks!

I’m doing this in 1/48 based on the Revell kit. I have the Storm Shadows already and believe I also  have some Alarm missiles also. What’s still driving me nuts though is not knowing what model ejection seat Revell based their parts on. Broad shape resembles a Mk 10 but the details don’t match making it problematic to source references 😡

Its a Gr1 so it will be mk10a

Also note this Aircraft had Low viz formation strip lights on the fin sides, each intake & wing tips.

Edited by tweeky
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Ah yes, well hidden, that explains why I thought the stores were on different wing stations, but they're not.

Thank you.

You're welcome, always good to have these discussions! I know for myself I learn a lot here, even when I thought I knew a lot anyway!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tweeky said:

Also note this Aircraft had Low viz formation strip lights on the fin sides, each intake & wing tips.

Is there also one on the nose just below the IFR and ahead of the grey aerial thing(sorry do not know correct name of this )?

11 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Just amazed at 19 posts in nobody has mentioned the camera fairings on  the engine bay door and the one replacing the LRMTS fairing under the nose!

Selwyn

It is a dedicated testplane, and the question was more about armament!

At least the wing mounted Alarm serup wad used in Granby, no?

Always wonder about pros and cons of the wing vs belly liad of tanks snd weapond on the Tornado!

Also Italy and Germany put their Harm missiles sometimes on the wing pylons and the (small of course) tanks on the belly...

Edited by exdraken

55 minutes ago, exdraken said:

At least the wing mounted Alarm serup wad used in Granby, no?

Not this set up on Granby. Very early in the conflict they were fitted with launch rail directly onto the wing pylon. Later they were fitted with launch rail onto the fuselage pylons. 

I think that they used the wing shoulder pylons for Alarm on Op Telic, but would have to check my refs before saying for certain.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 11:39 PM, tweeky said:

Storm Shadow is a standoff weapon so range isn't an issues.

The most recent conflicts the RAF have been involved in have all been Deployments so they were "in theatre" also with AAR support.

Quite so, it’s the mix of a stand off cruise missile with four alarms that is eccentric. If you’re stood off you don’t need four alarms. You might need alarms to penetrate territory before launching stand off but if you’re doing that you need fuel, unless there’s no SAM threat to your tankers, in which case you don’t need alarms for yourself...

Four storm shadows is about 12000lbs weight so you ain’t going far without a tanker.

What I don't understand is why all of the speculation above around the reason for the load? They're dummy rounds attached to a prototype. For all we know they were simply testing the aircraft response against maximum 'possible' loadouts rather than 'likely' loadouts. I just thought it made an interesting subject for a build :)

• Like 1