I am in with a Korean War machine included in the Italeri kit. I understand there are accuracy issues with the kit but it will look like a Corsair so that is fine by me! I may be late starting as I have others to finish first but I shouldn't be long. This should be a fun one!

Dave

IMG_20200526_151738

• Like 9

Hi Rafalbert,

now this should be interesting!

I started this kit years ago and posted my meager efforts on BM.

The cold shower was quick to come, and I was actually grateful it did! The main bone of contention is that Italeri provides a whole metal wing, when it should have sections fabric-covered, like the -1A and -1D.

At the time I decided against trying to represent the fabric-covered structure, ergo the kit went back into its box!

There are a few other inaccuracies, but nothing too serious in my eyes.

But hey, it's your build, so you decide how much you want to invest in this -4.

All I know is that I am going to follow the build!

Have fun.

JR

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 9:26 PM, jean said:

The main bone of contention is that Italeri provides a whole metal wing, when it should have sections fabric-covered, like the -1A and -1D.

Some careful masking and the use of Mr Surfacer or similar will soon sort that issue out.Possibly even swop wings with another kit?? Alternatively many warbirds have been reskinned with aluminium wings so you could make one of those.

That's an aircraft that has been rather poorly served in most scales. Good choice rafalbert I shall watch and learn. Gingerbob is doing one in 48th here so maybe worth watching each other??

• Like 2

Thanks for your comments guys, I will be building this from the box, inaccuracies and all!

On 5/27/2020 at 2:30 PM, Col. said:

Your kit looks to be the same plastic as my -7 :) 

Col, I think you are correct, the only thing that I can see may be different (apart from the decals) is a few more aerials in the -7. I may be wrong about this! Other than that, the plastic seems to be the same.- nope, totally wrong!

Well, I have made a start. Cockpit assembled and fuselage closed up.

IMG_20200606_115146

I need to sort the seam etc. before attaching the wings but the fit seems generally good. I was quite impressed with the cockpit detail:

IMG_20200606_115118

I have no idea how accurate it is or how much will be seen but I am generally impressed. Right, onwards....

Edited by rafalbert
  • Like 7

A bit more work done and she is looking more Corsair-esque. The fit has continued to be good, and I think it is more down to my cack-handedness that I have needed to use filler in places.

IMG_20200612_135809

• Like 6

Right, I need help from you F4U experts. As per the instructions, I have painted the old girl in Blue Angels Blue fs15050, but it seems very bright (almost "purpley").  Is this correct?

IMG_20200614_194823

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Though the post war GSB always seemed lighter than the earlier WW2 version to my eyes, it just wasn't that light. 

the post war color starts in 1947 , and that is FS 15042,  the wartime color is ANA 623.  

IIRC the post war color is a bit greener, the wartime color when new was a "deep smoky blue" (this is a description from @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies) , but was prone to fading, which is why is was replaced.

Lots of model paint is made of FS 15042

Re the kit, it's basically late Corsair,  it has the -5 and -7 cowl fronts, and if you removed the lower scoop on the -7, you can make an AU-1.

This is easy to do, 

the F4U-4B boxing I have has 3 schemes, and it's possible to make a Korean War Marine AU-1 with some rearranging of the kit decals, as one unit flew both the -4 and the AU-1...

(i'll edi in the unit in a mo) 

Guess what I have been researching....

EDIT the AU-1's are from VMA 323, as in the box art -4B

it's possible to get the new numbers from other options on the sheet as the styles are the same.    sand off the lower scoop and you have a reasonable AU-1 Corsair model.

Vought-AU-1-Corsair-VMA-323-White-WS22-a

the BuNo of 22 is 129350, according to the F4U units of the Korean War Osprey book, if you like assembling tiny number decals into a new order :rofl2:

• Like 6

So, after Sunday's fashion faux pas she is looking fetching in her new dress. I need to touch up the cockpit area and engine (due to poor masking on my part) before applying her make-up and accessories.

IMG_20200617_102933

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, she is now fully dressed with her boots on. I have given her a satin coat rather than full gloss as I think it looks a bit better. Just awaiting prop, rockets and bombs and she is complete.

IMG_20200708_155126

• Like 6

...and we are done, all tooled up and ready to play. Since my weathering efforts are usually pitifully poor, I have left her clean. She went together pretty well, the only issues I had were with the rockets where their tailfins are in confliction with each other (hence some are skewed 😳). At some point I will address this. As said previously, there are some major inaccuracies with the kit, but she looks like a Corsair to me and will be fine on my shelf. I really enjoyed this one, it was definitely good for the mojo!

IMG_20200715_143449

IMG_20200715_143458

IMG_20200715_143514

IMG_20200715_143534

IMG_20200715_143546

IMG_20200715_143557

• Like 7