Italeri 1/72 Dakota OOB

49 minutes ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

Humbrol reject that made it past QC still got a tin of enamel olive drab right coloured lid wrong number code! 

Yup, something went wrong somewhere.  I know that there can be reactions between acrylic and enamel paints but I'm not sure what the circumstances are in which they can happen, so I'll see if I can score another acrylic in the right colour, just to be on the safe side.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

I got some paint on it, so that's good.  What's not so good is the battle-damage, courtesy of my dog, Geoff:

spacer.png

Pets and modelling don't mix! I also found out the hard way when one of the cats decided that one of the shelves would be an ideal place to watch the world go by and sent a 1/48th B17 nose diving in to the carpet 😭

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

Pets and modelling don't mix! I also found out the hard way when one of the cats decided that one of the shelves would be an ideal place to watch the world go by and sent a 1/48th B17 nose diving in to the carpet 😭

Ouch!!  

I think Geoff was cross because I’d taken the other dog to work this morning. He took his barking at the postman routine to extremes and the Dak suffered as a result. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Whilst fixing the Geoff-damage, I discovered that there's a twist in the rear fuselage that left the port stabiliser drooping; I've corrected it as much as I dare using CA glue and baking soda, as seen here:

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Looks like you have the Geoff damage under control. Phew. 👌

To be fair he might have done me more of a favour by destroying it totally!

• Haha 1

On 5/26/2020 at 4:25 PM, jackroadkill said:

stash?  I've only been back in model building for six week weeks!  How the hell have I got a stash already?!

Doesn't take long, I remember when I decided I was into FAA planes I hoovered up every 1/72 kit along that theme I could lay my hands on in a matter of weeks!

Lovely looking plane, enjoying your build. So is Geoff, clearly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Doesn't take long, I remember when I decided I was into FAA planes I hoovered up every 1/72 kit along that theme I could lay my hands on in a matter of weeks!

Lovely looking plane, enjoying your build. So is Geoff, clearly.

Yeh I know that idea deciding to scoop up cheap dakotas were possible (I think there's 40+ oops) 😬

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Mind if I ask what the family significance is?

Hi Tony,

I'll PM you - I'll tell the story on the open forum when the final version is done.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/09/2021 at 03:58, Jeff G said:

Any update on this? Of course I've seen you're hard at work with other builds but just curious about this one!

Sorry Jeff, this one has gone to the great styrene heap in the sky, I'm afraid.  I'm still planning (at some point) to build a 512 Sqn machine, though.

• Sad 3

18 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Sorry Jeff, this one has gone to the great styrene heap in the sky, I'm afraid.  I'm still planning (at some point) to build a 512 Sqn machine, though.

Such a shame to hear that you've sent it to the styrene scrapheap 😞

3 hours ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

Such a shame to hear that you've sent it to the styrene scrapheap 😞

I think that if I were to build the kit now I'd have the confidence and the know-how to beat it into submission.  I'll get myself an Airfix Dak at some point and build a 512 Sqn machine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

I'd have the confidence and the know-how to beat it into submission

I'm confident of it!  If building and painting a particular kit becomes a chore, then it's best to put it aside.  There are always mishaps with modeling, but if the setbacks on a given project outweigh the joy you derive from the possible results, then you should move on.

• Thanks 1