Jump to content

Airfix 1/48 Jaguar T2 Conversion


Recommended Posts

This is superb! I'd love a two-seat Jag one day. Glad to read the Airfix single seater is still considered good though, as I have two in the stash. 

 

What does everyone think of the Revell one? I built one a couple of years ago and thought it looked nice, but is the Airfix even better? I'd get a KH T2 but have been put off by so many comments on this forum - is the KH kit only no good if you're pro standard like most of you, or would someone even baulk at it even if I just wanted something Jag T2 shaped to remind them of hours stood at the fence at Colt? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

What does everyone think of the Revell one? I built one a couple of years ago and thought it looked nice, but is the Airfix even better?

The Revell kit is from the same molds as Airfix, as is the Heller kit. It was released both by Airfix and Heller in 1994 (in RAF and French boxings respectively) and Airfix later re-released it in a GR3A/ES boxing and Heller in a GR1A boxing. Finally Revell released an RAF GR1A version in 2014.

 

So except for I think different noses, overwing sidewinder rails, possibly some ordnance and decals, they're all the same. I suppose the earlier boxings might have slightly better moldings as the tools were younger and the newer boxings might have healthier decals.

 

Regarding the Kitty Hawk kit, I'd be happy to build one. I know the more discerning modeller doesn't like something about the leading edge of the wing and the inaccurate ordnance supplied in the kit and there are apparently quite a few annoying fit issues largely related to the many panels that can be posed open, but in the end it looks a lot like a Jaguar. And with no Paragon resin any more, it's your only option for a T2 in this scale.

 

One thing for sure is that @Peter W is proving here that the Airfix kit plus resin and some terrific scratchbuilding makes one heck of a Jaguar.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

This is superb! I'd love a two-seat Jag one day. Glad to read the Airfix single seater is still considered good though, as I have two in the stash. 

 

What does everyone think of the Revell one? I built one a couple of years ago and thought it looked nice, but is the Airfix even better? I'd get a KH T2 but have been put off by so many comments on this forum - is the KH kit only no good if you're pro standard like most of you, or would someone even baulk at it even if I just wanted something Jag T2 shaped to remind them of hours stood at the fence at Colt? 

 

The later Revell release has a lovely decal sheet, worth it for that alone over the Airfix and certainly the KH sheet which is wrong in so many ways. However - the Airfix sheet should have a second set of stencils that are passable for an RAF bird.

 

The KH Jags.... yes, they are "fun" but I didnt feel they deserve as bad a rep as they got. This could well be because the fit issues arent insurmountable and things such as oversized fuel tank fins can be easily fixed. Also - the Airfix/Revell Jag kits have 2 sets of pylons if memory serves, so these can be modded a little and used over the incorrect French pylons in the KH offering. The KH kits have slightly iffy BL755 bombs, but again, if you have an Airfix/Revell kit to hand the try the tail sections from those on the KH BL755s, they look a bit better.

Watch out for incorrectly numbered parts in the KH instructions around the main undercarriage - the worst part of the build for me, very frustrating.

One bonus with the KH Two Seater is that they included wing fences rather than just overwing pylons, albeit they are in PE, but still, saves scratch building them.

 

Overall neither the Airfix/Revell or KH are great kits. The former being filler sponges often with warped and flashy parts in my experience, the airbrakes being particularly woeful. The KH has had enough said about it, but mine used a lot less filler, more trimming.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a love/hate relationship with the KH kit and have had one ‘on the go’ for a couple of years. No build thread yet as I had stalled on the stickies to go on it. The kit ones are naff. No walkway stencilling for a start. One quirk though is that they have replicated the pylon stencils from the static Cosford examples! 
 

It’s engineered to have everything out and hanging and if you decide to button it up like I do, that is where the fit issues start. For example, you need to install the engine bay and both engines, just to fit the exhausts! The drop tanks aren’t oversize they are actually smaller than real life for RAF birds at least. The first release was a French A, so the pylons, weapons and probably tanks, are all French spec.

 

The biggest howler is the wing leading edge. From the separate flaps, it’s a curve to the fuselage - it should be straight. Talking of the wing, the GR.1/3 boxing has no wing fences. They’re there on the French boxing (and T.2 I think)!!!!

 

I have the mortal remains of an ESCI Jag (dreadful and chunky btw) but recovered the main undercarriage. It looks more solid, so that will be shoehorned into the build.

 

I got mine cheap - certainly wouldn’t have paid full whack for it.

 

In short, it’s “challenging”. 
 

Trevor

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Peter,

 

have you done any progress with your build?

 

By the way, which paint scheme/sqn markings do you plan to use/apply?

 

I'm asking this because I'm building the Italeri T2 and I want to finish it with the BS381C 638 / BS381C 629 scheme but, the second colour is hard to find.

 

I have just bought the AK Interactive "629" but, it's too dark! All the photos show this colour to have a light towards medium hue and the "AK" looks more like the '638' and less than the actual colour!

 

Any thoughts?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 4:33 PM, Shalako said:

Hi Peter,

 

have you done any progress with your build?

 

By the way, which paint scheme/sqn markings do you plan to use/apply?

 

I'm asking this because I'm building the Italeri T2 and I want to finish it with the BS381C 638 / BS381C 629 scheme but, the second colour is hard to find.

 

I have just bought the AK Interactive "629" but, it's too dark! All the photos show this colour to have a light towards medium hue and the "AK" looks more like the '638' and less than the actual colour!

 

Any thoughts?

 

Hi Shalako,

 

I’ve been drawn into the Tornado group build, so this one hasn’t had any progress lately.

 

I’m not sure what squadron yet but it will be a green/grey wraparound scheme. I used Hataka Modern Royal Air Force Vol.2 paint set for a Canberra that I finished recently and will use them again for this one, as they looked pretty close.

 

Pete

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...