Airfix 1/48 Jaguar T2 Conversion

6 hours ago, amos brierley said:

I’m not a fan of vac-form parts, but, in the past I’ve filled vac-formed canopies with blue tac to stop it flexing and a thin black marker pen to highlight the cut line. As I’m not sure if you’ve done this sort of stuff before, therefore I hope this helps. 😁

Hi Amos - The bit I'm dreading is adding all of the photo-etch pieces onto them (detonation strip, support frame etc) that came with the Paragon set. Cutting them out is always a fraught exercise but that bit is done and it's the getting them onto the model that promises to be harder.

1 hour ago, bar side said:

Pose them open & no one will ever know if they fit when closed!

Hi Bar Side  - The intention is to have them open but as I've said to Amos, that's not what's causing the dread. They actually fit pretty well closed and I was tempted to chicken out and finish it that way but I much prefer open canopies, it adds a bit more to the build for me.

1 hour ago, Shalako said:

I don't see a lot of weathering at least on the upper surfaces, or, even some colour fading.

Were Jaguars preserved that well? The reason why I am asking this is because I am also very close to finishing mine (two tone-greys scheme) but, I am not sure how much weathering I should apply.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill - It is a bit grubby and faded but not as much as I'd normally do. I looked at lots of photos and the trainers just didn't seem to get as battered as the line jets, so chose to go for a more restrained finish. That said I think the grey ones did get a bit more weathered so it gives you a bit more freedom on how you go with yours. Looking forward to seeing yours appear on the forum though.

Pete 

1 minute ago, Peter W said:

That said I think the grey ones did get a bit more weathered so it gives you a bit more freedom on how you go with yours. Looking forward to seeing yours appear on the forum though.

Pete 

Cheers Pete,

That's the plan though it will take a while. I have just applied some decals on a Super Jolly Green Giant (Italeri 1/72) and it wasn't a good experience. Which means that it might happen to my T2 Jaguar.

4 minutes ago, Shalako said:

Cheers Pete,

That's the plan though it will take a while. I have just applied some decals on a Super Jolly Green Giant (Italeri 1/72) and it wasn't a good experience. Which means that it might happen to my T2 Jaguar.

I often wonder what it is that we enjoy with our hobby when there's so many things to make it go wrong. Decals can be a real pain but when it goes well it's a rewarding step. I tend to use aftermarket decals on most of my builds and am quite picky on whose I use. A good glossy finish is a  must too but it can still go wrong and usually does on the decals that can't be substituted. I also try to walk away when I get to the point where I start to get problems and come back later refreshed. Great when it all comes good though👍

Pete

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Peter W said:

I often wonder what it is that we enjoy with our hobby when there's so many things to make it go wrong.

Pete

I couldn't agree more Pete! AND I just realised that I'm not building a T.2 BUT a T.4 Jaguar!!! Man, talking about being away from the hobby for a very long time!!

Thank goodness the differences are only internal (cockpit) and not external!!! Italeri gives decals for the XX146, and there are a few photos posted on various web pages so, from the weathering perspective, I did noticed a lot, particularly on the upper surfaces, which by the way, Italeri has managed to mesh (and not only the upper surfaces!) to a certain extent.

Cheers,

Bill

Well this one has crossed the finishing line and on it's way to the RFI gallery. Thanks to everyone who followed along and took the time to comment.

Last one here:

KmpJn3h.jpg?1

Now onto something even smaller but hopefully less work for me than this one was.

Pete 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Isn't she gorgeous

A fabulous job done there Pete, quite the prettiest jet ever.

I’m with Bill on this.

The T-bird was a very pretty jet; and that’s one heck of a fine build Pete.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2020 at 07:54, Peter W said:

A little bit more done, I say a little bit but more like hours of headache inducing fun.

94zGHOh.jpg?1

It's amazing how you never see the bits of flash/mould seams that you've missed until you take a picture, so got these to clean up now. Wheels are also not glued on yet. Having taken the picture I've also seen a few more bits that could do with adding too, oh what fun.

Pete

What gauge/diameter wire would be suitable for 1:72, 1:48 scale modelling please chaps and chapesses?  Seen this on Amazon:

Any advice, recommendations would be appreciated please. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pieces-Tarnish-Resistant-Jewelry-Beading/dp/B01N9TQBC3/ref=sr_1_21?adgrpid=56097021547&dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxK66h7_57gIVQtPtCh3oCAsoEAAYASAAEgLiQvD_BwE&hvadid=259053904548&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=20339&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=14974441047728211110&hvtargid=kwd-362725501602&hydadcr=18485_1816607&keywords=modelling+copper+wire&qid=1613859498&sr=8-21&tag=googhydr-21

9 minutes ago, FredmeisterPNE said:

What gauge/diameter wire would be suitable for 1:72, 1:48 scale modelling please chaps and chapesses?  Seen this on Amazon:

Any advice, recommendations would be appreciated please.

Hi FredmeisterPNE - I’m not sure on 72nd but I have a big roll of 5 Amp & 10 Amp fuse wire that I use on 48th scale builds. The 10   Amp measures out at about 0.5mm and the 5 Amp at 0.25mm.

Pete

That is one beautiful aircraft model you have built there.

The Jaguar became one of my teenage idols, and I was fortunate enough to work with it in my early twenties. Sleek lines, aggressive looks and an aircraft that spanned old world attack methods and new world avionics (at the time). And indeed proved to be an incredibly effective defence suppressor in its years during the Gulf wars in RAF service.

A beautiful feline indeed.

Terry

• Like 1