Airfix 1/48 Jaguar T2 Conversion

9 hours ago, IV(AC)Plumb said:

Just finished the KH one, I'd say yours is a better route!

The KH T2 is a bitch of a build!

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235076484-kitty-hawk-jaguar-t2-148-54-sqn/

I saw your build and it didn't sound fun. This one isn't without it's pitfalls but at least, with the Airfix plastic, there's plenty of thickness to sand away and make good.

I contacted Ted yesterday and ordered the update set. so that I can add a few improvements too. So I'm glad that I saw your thread.

Long way to go with this one but hopefully something good will appear at the end.

Pete

I'm in on this one also. Always loved the Jaguar and had the privilege to work with them back in my early twenties when working for the MOD. I had many visits to the Jaguar production facilities around Preston, and got to watch some spirited take off's from very close by at Warton.

Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

Terry

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Time to bring this one back to the top of the build pile now that I've finished the Canberra. I though that I'd get the cockpit done whilst it was still manageable and bar a few little bits it's done and ready for the next stage. I thought that it was going to be a bit of a headache to paint as it's all one piece but it didn't turn out that bad after all. Not terrible from a distance and should be fine once all the bits are in place.

Gnfjlst.jpg?1

P2mDwJp.jpg?1

nzhHsHi.jpg?1

UwCpoU6.jpg?1

kDk4wyU.jpg?1

N046IuU.jpg?1

Good to back on this one

Pete

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

That's fantastic. If I didn't know better I'd think that was a single piece fuselage. And a perfect job on the IP's too. Such a shame that Paragon have gone; so many wonderful sets they produced.

A bit more done. I'm trying to work out what I dare glue in place before I get to the painting phase. It's a long way away but got to plan it anyway. I decided that I couldn't leave the flaps off because there's just too much to add without making a real mess of any paint that would be there. I added the flaps and tried to busy it a bit with the track arms and linkages. It should look fine under paint even if invisible under the wings. I also made the linkage fairings on the inner wings and moved them inboard a touch to line up with the linkages. Small things but worth doing.

pRTcKXI.jpg?1

GB1HJAi.jpg?1

tgdtm0m.jpg?1

SgirZq8.jpg?1

Next job is the undercarriage which could be fun.

Pete 

• Like 11

That’s great work and well worth the effort with the extra detail.

I think I said this in another WIP recently, but Paragon are so missed. They made so many wonderful and truly useful items.

• Like 1

All looks a nice set, turning out nicely.  Are you using the standard Airfix legs?  I have built 2 and I always struggle to get the main wheels and wings to all sit level.  If the wings are level then the wheels toe in, or the wheels are level & the wings don’t sit level.  Still haven’t figured out the best way to do it.

Edited by bar side

8 minutes ago, Filler said:

That’s great work and well worth the effort with the extra detail.

I think I said this in another WIP recently, but Paragon are so missed. They made so many wonderful and truly useful items.

I agree completely, I built a PR.34 Mosquito a few years ago and used  Neil’s (Paragon) parts for that. I then wanted to build a B.35 to go with it but couldn’t get any more bits to do it (enlarged bomb bay, twin stage Merlins etc.) so disappointed. I really didn’t realise the extent of the parts that Paragon offered until they were gone.

15 minutes ago, bar side said:

All looks a nice set, turning out nicely.  Are you using the standard Airfix legs?  I have built 2band I always struggle to get the main wheels and wings to all sit level.  If the wings are level then the wheels toe in, or the wheels sot level & the wings don’t sit level.  Still haven’t figured out the best way to do it.

The plan is to use the kit legs so will find out if I’ve got any problems soon, hopefully not. At least you’ve made me aware so I don’t go blindly onwards.

Pete

8 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Great work on a truly great aircraft. Really good to see this one back on the move.

Terry

Thanks Terry, I got a bit (lot) distracted by a Canberra but back on this one now until it's finished.

Pete

• Like 1

Great work, i think the Airfix Jag has a lot going for it, I must dig out the single seat last jag built many moons ago.

I think like many it such a shame Paragon are gone ....

The quality of the parts is excellent and even just the wheel set makes all the difference.

I feel your pain on the upper spine duct, I did a similar fix on mine, I found a 72nd spitfire oil cooler cowling in the spares box which was a perfect replacement for the cooling duct behind the canopy.....

Keep up the good work, will it be wrap round or Grey ??

• Like 2

5 hours ago, amos brierley said:

Hi Peter,    I hope these three photos will help you along the way.

I took these photos some years ago at Newark air museum. I do like the data plates on the outboard rib end. 

Hi Amos, thanks for posting these. I don’t think that I’ll be trying to add the data plates though 😂

3 hours ago, Paulaero said:

Keep up the good work, will it be wrap round or Grey ??

Hi Paulaero, going to go for the wraparound scheme.

3 hours ago, bar side said:

Massimo had some great tips on his thread - I stole quite a few from him

Hi Bar side, I’ve had a look at that thread before and there’s some good modelling being done and, as you say, some useful reference ideas.

Pete

The above photos reminded me of our first Airbus flight. SWMBO hates flying but on this occasion she decided to sit by the window, and all went well until the final stages of the approach when she grabbed my arm and said “ OMG there’s a big hole in the wing”.

I agree that the Airfix kit still has a lot going for it, and is a lot easier to build than the KH version, luckily  I still have a few Paragon Accessories for it.

John

57 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

The above photos reminded me of our first Airbus flight. SWMBO hates flying but on this occasion she decided to sit by the window, and all went well until the final stages of the approach when she grabbed my arm and said “ OMG there’s a big hole in the wing”.

I agree that the Airfix kit still has a lot going for it, and is a lot easier to build than the KH version, luckily  I still have a few Paragon Accessories for it.

John

Hi John, I sympathise with your wife. On a modern jet with everything hanging out there really are some big holes in the wings. How long before you put her mind at rest?🤭

I like the Airfix kit but wish that they, or someone else, would give it a fresh 'buildable' look over. I have the KH version which will get a place in the pile one day but still have another Airfix single seater to build first which, thankfully, has a set of Paragon bits to go with it too.

Pete

• Like 1

A little bit more done, I say a little bit but more like hours of headache inducing fun.

94zGHOh.jpg?1

It's amazing how you never see the bits of flash/mould seams that you've missed until you take a picture, so got these to clean up now. Wheels are also not glued on yet. Having taken the picture I've also seen a few more bits that could do with adding too, oh what fun.

Pete

Edited by Peter W
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Long time overdue catch up on this one, I've been a bit distracted by the Tornado group build.

I bought the Phase Hanger Resin intakes in the hope that it would save a lot of work correcting the Airfix ones. Well they saved having to correct them for sure but boy what a dog of a fit. I spent a few hours with filler, files and swear words to get them in place. There is a cast recess on the back of them which, I guess, should fit with the corresponding part on the Airfix fuselage. It fits but leaves a 1-2mm gap between the resin and plastic at the back. That's not too difficult to overcome but there is a big step top and bottom that needs a lot of TLC to get rid of too. All done now though and happy with the result.

bnOZTRm.jpg?1

I also got all of the sticky out bits on the underside and re-scribed some missing lines.

zY9FD9B.jpg?1

Which left me here.

KljwR9D.jpg?1

The next task is the one that leaves me in a cold sweat, cockpit and glazing work. I've started by getting instrument panels and coaming in place as well as the HUD glass.

jzqDnFS.jpg?1

And then could resist dropping the seats in to see what it looks like

0AK2sox.jpg?1

oJ7kZHQ.jpg?1

So far so good and back soon when the glazing is on.

Pete  

• Like 10