Airfix 1/48 Jaguar T2 Conversion

As I'm in a classic Airfix British Jet phase and my Canberra is ticking on, I thought that I'd build some simple and less involved alongside it. Please explain why my brain gravitated towards this then? I always loved the look of the Jaguar and when I saw a T2 for the first time I just had to build one. That happened many years ago with the Hasegawa 1/72nd scale offering but I'm a 1/48th scale man now, so time to revisit the type. I'd bought the kit a long time ago, along with the Paragon extras and finally they are going to get some fresh air. The unexpected bonus of working from home is that I still get up and ready for work at the same time but have an hour of nothing to do before actually starting work. Great for a bit of extra modelling time and this morning was spent cutting this one up.

The Kit

0EGfpoS.jpg?1

The Bits

AeX0afm.jpg?1

An hour in

2H9H6un.jpg?1

The resin has a little shrinkage that will need to be allowed for but nothing major (fingers crossed)

Who knows what lies ahead but please come along for the journey.

Pete

Edited by Peter W
  • Like 20

This looks good, the Jag is my favourite RAF jet, always looked so elegant in the air, loved seeing them at air shows & thundering around over the moors.

Crack on!

I had all the Paragon conversion some time ago. The KH came out and joined the frenzy to get one, I thought the value plummeted overnight so got rid. I suspect a few modellers like me wish they’d kept it.

• Like 1

Hoo boy- made it to page one with room at the bar! Not my scale, but I do love the Jag in either single or two seat config, so will enjoy watching this build...got a scheme picked out? 

Mike

All of that resin stuff looks rather familiar .... (VERY familiar  :rolleyes: ) and,  not surprisingly, I have used it to make a 2-seat Jaguar, although it was a T4 that I made, not a T2. I have plenty of In-Progress pics if you need any pointers/guidance.

B)

• Haha 1

Wow, no expectations on this one then. Let's hope that I can make something worthy of the attention that this one looks likely to get. 

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Hoo boy- made it to page one with room at the bar! Not my scale, but I do love the Jag in either single or two seat config, so will enjoy watching this build...got a scheme picked out? 

Mike

Hi Mike, not sure yet. I have the Model Alliance Twin Stick Trainers sheet with a pair of grey jets from 16(R) and 54(F) Squadrons but I like the wrap around scheme better, so the jury is out on this one.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

All of that resin stuff looks rather familiar .... (VERY familiar  :rolleyes: ) and,  not surprisingly, I have used it to make a 2-seat Jaguar, although it was a T4 that I made, not a T2. I have plenty of In-Progress pics if you need any pointers/guidance.

B)

Hi Neil, good to have you looking in and, I suspect 😉 that you are a pretty good source of information for this one. If you have anything that will help me miss the pitfalls then I'd love to take a look at your work in progress pictures and, of course, any guidance would be welcomed.

Welcome to the part everyone and I'll try not to disappoint.

Pete

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Very nice, your approach may be a lot less work than mine (building the KH double seater :banghead:). Looking forward to the next updates...

Cheers

Markus

Hi Markus,

I have the single seat KH Jaguar but was put off by some of the negative comments and didn't bother with the twin seater when it came out. That said Mike did a great build of the single seater some years ago, so it's possible.

The Airfix kit should be fun though, it is after all 'Airfix' and all that goes with it.

Pete

• Like 2

I have never been a fan of twin seaters (excerpt Hawks, but they are meant to have 2 seats!).  But the Jag started off as a twin seat trainer and has the ‘mini TSR-2’ tag and I do like a TSR-2, I shall be following with interest.  Not seen one of these built before & it looks good

7 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Looking forward to this one.

In all your resin goodies, leave the AN/ALE 40 flare dispensers off. The T-birds never had them fitted.

Thanks Phone Phixer, any knowledge like this is welcomed.

Pete

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Long time without a post on this one but have been building an Airfix Canberra alongside it, is there a prize for the craziest modeller I ask?

Since I'm stuck waiting for some bits to arrive for the Canberra, I thought it about time that I did some work on this one. The first job was to get the fuselage glued together and the nose attached. All in all a pretty painless exercise but did take some time to sharpen the panel lines and rivets up as these are really soft on the whole kit. Ignore the plastic dust, what with two Airfix kits on the go at the same time, there's lots of it. All super glued in place now though and cleaned up ready for some fine fettling in due course.

zdqjUye.jpg?1

Next came the wings which wasn't as straightforward. When you cut the flaps out of the Airfix wings you soon realise that the panel lines weren't in the same place, top and bottom, and this leaves an uneven cut-out. Thankfully only did one, so the other side was much easier. No great pain though, just added a bit of the original flap back in place and cleaned it up. The front flaps were a little bit more easier but still require a bit of finesse when re-shaping the wing and cutting a few notches in for the new flaps. I took the time to thin the trailing edge of the rear wing too, as it looks really thick once you offer the flaps up to it. A five minute job and well worth doing.

HJPIHjq.jpg?1

PkyXNrI.jpg?1

zj43tYa.jpg?1

3IReVo9.jpg?2

Last job for now was to do something about the almost impossible seam to clean up on the top of the fuselage, where the intake duct sits. I cut out the plastic and cleaned up, including thinning the trailing edge of the slot, before adding a support under where the new piece would sit. Next shaped a piece of plasticard to fit the hole, or as close as I could get anyway, and then glued that in. Once under a coat of paint this will look a lot better than I would have been able to achieve, if I hadn't taken the plunge.

wWxkVc5.jpg?1

I would say that a lot of credit and thanks must go to Neil for having shown us all the way with this conversion, on his amazing build from a few years ago.

Off now to get the hoover out and make room for modelling amongst all of this plastic dust and shavings.

Back soon

Pete

• Like 12

Small update but massive step for me. I really dread it when it comes to the time to cut out vacuum formed canopies. It is absolutely the job I like least and even worse when you only have one shot and the parts aren't available anymore - No pressure then. I didn't want to spend any more hours correcting things before tackling this and it all come crashing down so spent a few careful hours getting this done last night. A few clean up gaps but, all in all, the best result that I think I've ever achieved with a vacform canopy. I still need to fettle it a bit once it gets fitted but happy for now and, as the canopies are going to be raised, I don't have to lose sleep over any minor gaps.

9nz9YNs.jpg?1

Back soon

Pete   

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, amos brierley said:

Hi-yer Pete,    Gonna take a chance and say little, just - nice- u know what happened last time I opened my mouth.........      nice 👍🏻 work.

Ha-ha, thanks Amos - appreciate you dropping in.

Pete

Seems you've got the vac canopy to fit quite well. While they are nice and clear I always struggle when attaching them as there is not much contact surface. Kind of love-hate relationship...

Cheers

Markus

18 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Seems you've got the vac canopy to fit quite well. While they are nice and clear I always struggle when attaching them as there is not much contact surface. Kind of love-hate relationship...

Cheers

Markus

That's exactly how I feel about them too Markus. It was quite a relief to get it done, just got to take care putting the other little bits onto them now.

Pete