Canberra B (I) 8/12

Martian

I have to admit defeat again! I want to build an Airfix Canberra B (I) 8 or 12 during the lockdown but despite trawling the interweb for reference, I can't for the life of me find a decent drawing of the interior of the nose. I have plenty of pictures but with the interior being so dark, it is very difficult to work out the structure of the fuselage in this area an exactly what goes where. I have tried to find a downloadable AP volume one on line but have drawn a blank.

I have some good reference on the weapons bay but don't know what the bomb racks themselves look like.

Sorry to be a pain (again) but can anybody help?

Martian 👽

This might help with the bomb rack query, note that the image is enlargeable on the IWM website

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205213988

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs THE ROYAL AIR FORCE, 1950-1969. © IWM (RAF-T 5204) IWM Non Commercial License

The interior structure itself is like a any other Canberra.  

The pilots ejection seat is mounted on a raised platform against the port side of the rear sloping bulkhead, taking up the position that the navigators seat did in 'fishbowl' B.2 canopy Canberras.

Next to that, to stb'd is a fixed seat for the navigator to sit in for take-off/landings etc, this being at floor height and same position as the stb'd bombaimers seat in B.2 etc.

Fwd of the pilot, the instrument panel and various bits of kit is the navigators desk and work station, his seat could slide and turn on rails, and faced toward the port side while in the work position at the desk. 

Ahead of that was the glazed nose and bomb aiming position, as per standard Canberra B.2s etc.

In Johns folders, linked to above, these images are handy, you might be able to persuade him to get bigger copies!

https://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=197389281

https://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=200007025

https://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=181688078

I have taken pictures inside a B(I).8, but unsure if they will beyond what you already have?

Good luck with the kit, here's one way to correct the tailplane,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, rossm said:

You can trawl his website which is full of reference material https://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/

The first thing I did was to sign up to this as I seem to have acquired quite a few Canberras over the new years and it seemed the logical thing to do.

48 minutes ago, 71chally said:

This might help with the bomb rack query, note that the image is enlargeable on the IWM website

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205213988

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs THE ROYAL AIR FORCE, 1950-1969. © IWM (RAF-T 5204) IWM Non Commercial License

The interior structure itself is like a any other Canberra.  

The pilots ejection seat is mounted on a raised platform against the port side of the rear sloping bulkhead, taking up the position that the navigators seat did in 'fishbowl' B.2 canopy Canberras.

Next to that, to stb'd is a fixed seat for the navigator to sit in for take-off/landings etc, this being at floor height and same position as the stb'd bombaimers seat in B.2 etc.

Fwd of the pilot, the instrument panel and various bits of kit is the navigators desk and work station, his seat could slide and turn on rails, and faced toward the port side while in the work position at the desk. 

Ahead of that was the glazed nose and bomb aiming position, as per standard Canberra B.2s etc.

In Johns folders, linked to above, these images are handy, you might be able to persuade him to get bigger copies!

https://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=197389281

https://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=200007025

https://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=181688078

I have taken pictures inside a B(I).8, but unsure if they will beyond what you already have?

Good luck with the kit, here's one way to correct the tailplane,

Thanks Chally, it would be interesting to see your pictures. Given that it was a mainstream type, I was rather surprised that a download of the main AP proved to be so unobtainable.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Martian said:

Thanks Chally, it would be interesting to see your pictures. Given that it was a mainstream type, I was rather surprised that a download of the main AP proved to be so unobtainable.

Martian 

Certainly in the tank, gun and infantry world that's often the case. The more offbeat the subject the more likely that it'll be online. I picked some up cheap a while ago but my brain exploded while I was trying to work out what bits needed work. I have proof --> :boom:

Bit of a mainstream choice for you this one. You need more meds :D 

• Haha 3

@Martian, have you tried Avialogs?  All you need to do is to sign up to be able to view the manuals in full, or subscribe to view and download, I find it a really great resource.

There are nice cockpit layout illustrations (around page 95 in particular) in the Vol1, and I think the bomb suspension beams etc are there at the end.

https://www.avialogs.com/aircraft-e/english-electric/item/102724-

Pilots Notes has some pictures of the nav station,

https://www.avialogs.com/aircraft-e/english-electric/item/102723-

And ejection seat,

https://www.avialogs.com/aircraft-e/english-electric/item/102722-a-p-108b-0108-1-ejection-seats-type-2cb-mk-1-and-2-canberra-b-i-mk-8-aircraft

Though the Canberra itself is pretty mainstream, I think the Interdictors themselves were always a bit special, partly due to their role and weapons.

Will try and upload some shots in a bit.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

@Martian, have you tried Avialogs?  All you need to do is to sign up to be able to view the manuals in full, or subscribe to view and download, I find it a really great resource.

There are nice cockpit layout illustrations (around page 95 in particular) in the Vol1, and I think the bomb suspension beams etc are there at the end.

https://www.avialogs.com/aircraft-e/english-electric/item/102724-

Pilots Notes has some pictures of the nav station,

https://www.avialogs.com/aircraft-e/english-electric/item/102723-

And ejection seat,

https://www.avialogs.com/aircraft-e/english-electric/item/102722-a-p-108b-0108-1-ejection-seats-type-2cb-mk-1-and-2-canberra-b-i-mk-8-aircraft

Though the Canberra itself is pretty mainstream, I think the Interdictors themselves were always a bit special, partly due to their role and weapons.

Will try and upload some shots in a bit.

Thanks Chally, that site is very good. I had not heard of it before you mentioned it.

Martian 👽

Here's some of the photos, if you click on any one of them it should take you to where I have them on Flickr, 19 pics in total.

These are of WV787 at Newark, it was a trials machine so does have some minor equipment differences to a standard Canberra, however one major change is that it has a forward bulkhead with a seat headrest mounted to it, so ignore those.

There are also quite a few bits of kit missing from the nav's compartment, but you should be able to correlate the photos with the AP and PNs illustrations.

49939238536_edb781b2d6_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 navigator's work station seat by James Thomas, on Flickr

49939537287_f49d901f3e_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 navigator's work station desk & seat by James Thomas, on Flickr

Navigator's work station seat and desk looking to the port side, you can see the small window above the desk.   The seat can be stowed under the desk while not in use, ie when entering the cockpit, while the crash seat is in use and moving forward to the bomb aimers position.

49939237496_50b6796b27_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 navigator's crash seat by James Thomas, on Flickr

Navigator's crash seat, mounted on the rear bulkhead, you can see how much higher the pilots seat is to the right and above. Occupied for take off/landings and some emergency conditions.

49938721793_21e0ef0e79_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 pilot's upper instrument panel & screen by James Thomas, on Flickr

49939537012_af4db51a1b_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 pilot's instrument panel by James Thomas, on Flickr

49938721338_fcd5364a7d_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 pilots control yoke by James Thomas, on Flickr

49938721713_ea15ff6fb9_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 pilot's stb'd side fwd panel by James Thomas, on Flickr

49938721193_372b353b08_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 pilots stb'd side rear panels by James Thomas, on Flickr

This is from the pilots seat looking down over the navigator's crash seat.

49938721133_fd09bed1ab_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 pilot's ejection seat by James Thomas, on Flickr

Pilot's seat seen from the nav's work station.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Here's some of the photos, if you click on any one of them it should take you to where I have them on Flickr, 19 pics in total.

These are of WV787 at Newark, it was a trials machine so does have some minor equipment differences to a standard Canberra, however one major change is that it has a forward bulkhead with a seat headrest mounted to it, so ignore those.

There are also quite a few bits of kit missing from the nav's compartment, but you should be able to correlate the photos with the AP and PNs illustrations.

49939238536_edb781b2d6_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 navigator's work station seat by James Thomas, on Flickr

49939537287_f49d901f3e_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 navigator's work station desk & seat by James Thomas, on Flickr

Navigator's work station seat and desk looking to the port side, you can see the small window above the desk.   The seat can be stowed under the desk while not in use, ie when entering the cockpit, while the crash seat is in use and moving forward to the bomb aimers position.

49939237496_50b6796b27_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 navigator's crash seat by James Thomas, on Flickr

Navigator's crash seat, mounted on the rear bulkhead, you can see how much higher the pilots seat is to the right and above. Occupied for take off/landings and some emergency conditions.

49938721793_21e0ef0e79_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 pilot's upper instrument panel & screen by James Thomas, on Flickr

49939537012_af4db51a1b_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 pilot's instrument panel by James Thomas, on Flickr

49938721338_fcd5364a7d_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 pilots control yoke by James Thomas, on Flickr

49938721713_ea15ff6fb9_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 pilot's stb'd side fwd panel by James Thomas, on Flickr

49938721193_372b353b08_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 pilots stb'd side rear panels by James Thomas, on Flickr

This is from the pilots seat looking down over the navigator's crash seat.

49938721133_fd09bed1ab_b.jpg

Canberra B(I).8 pilot's ejection seat by James Thomas, on Flickr

Pilot's seat seen from the nav's work station.

Brilliant pictures Chally, I think I am ready to start building now.

3 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Hi Marain

is this what you're looking for? This is the B(I)8 the B(I)12 has slight variations. but nothing too major in modeling terms.   

3wPSGQ.jpg

3wPcgx.jpg

John

Thanks John, those answer my query nicely.

Very Grateful of Mars 👽

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Which B(I).8s were they taken inside of John? Nice to see one so complete.

James the really nice black and white ones are from WT328, a very early set of photos with the Orange Putter scope on the pilots panel. The bottom ones are XM279, and obviously WV787.

John 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canberra kid said:

@Martian you've probably seen these? this is a link to the cockpit album with the B(I)8 and B(I)12 Canberra cockpit albums it may be worth looking at this too? my build of WT333 though in this guise she was a B.6 hybrid, everything back from the forward transport joint is B(I)8.

John   

Thanks John, that's very helpful. My stock of Canberras rose today when I accidentally ordered Airfix's T4 re-issue. What, if anything, was the bomb bay on a T4 used for?

Martian 👽

9 minutes ago, Martian said:

Thanks John, that's very helpful. My stock of Canberras rose today when I accidentally ordered Airfix's T4 re-issue. What, if anything, was the bomb bay on a T4 used for?

Martian 👽

9 minutes ago, Martian said:

Martian 👽

Good move if you ask me Martian, you can never have too many Canberra's. The RAF T.4 couldn't carry a weapons load, so the bomb bay was just empty. It could carry luggage and goodies from over seas trips.

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, canberra kid said:

Good move if you ask me Martian, you can never have too many Canberra's. The RAF T.4 couldn't carry a weapons load, so the bomb bay was just empty. It could carry luggage and goodies from over seas trips.

John

That would probably go for a Royal Navy cab as well I would imagine?

Martian 👽

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Martian said:

That would probably go for a Royal Navy cab as well I would imagine?

Martian 👽

yes all UK T.4's

24 minutes ago, Martian said:

Martian 👽

Good move if you ask me Martian, you can never have too many Canberra's. The RAF T.4 couldn't carry a weapons load, so the bomb bay was just empty. It could carry luggage and goodies from

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canberra kid said:

yes all UK T.4's

Good move if you ask me Martian, you can never have too many Canberra's. The RAF T.4 couldn't carry a weapons load, so the bomb bay was just empty. It could carry luggage and goodies from

So was there an approved luggage pannier or were things stowed on an ad hoc basis?

Martian 👽

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Martian said:

So was there an approved luggage pannier or were things stowed on an ad hoc basis?

Martian 👽

Not for the Canberra, Sqn's sometimes made up their own, or just shoved bags and boxes into the bomb bay. If you are going to build a T.4 I recommend you have a good look at the T.4 cockpit album on my site as there will be a lot of mods needed to the kit. 

John

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Not for the Canberra, Sqn's sometimes made up their own, or just shoved bags and boxes into the bomb bay. If you are going to build a T.4 I recommend you have a good look at the T.4 cockpit album on my site as there will be a lot of mods needed to the kit. 

John

Thanks John, I have indeed been trawling the site. There's some really useful stuff there.

Martian 👽

13 hours ago, canberra kid said:

James the really nice black and white ones are from WT328, a very early set of photos with the Orange Putter scope on the pilots panel. The bottom ones are XM279, and obviously WV787.

Thanks John, lovely clear shots of WT328, all the more sad given how short a life she had.

Just wondered which Canberra it was near the top of the B(I).8 album, would it be the one in NZ?

Also, have you seen pictures of the rolling map display?

@canberra kid, John, am I correct in thinking that when the starboard pilot's seat is fitted, this precludes access to the navigator's position?

Martian 👽

11 minutes ago, Martian said:

@canberra kid, John, am I correct in thinking that when the starboard pilot's seat is fitted, this precludes access to the navigator's position?

Martian 👽

Not quite Martian, the instructors seat swings forward so the Nav can squeeze past into his black hole.

John

• Thanks 2