Any tips for using Colourcoats?

Clifton

Hi, everyone.  I’ve just tried to use some Colourcoats Light Aircraft Grey on the underside of a Matchbox Jaguar, and I’m having some issues with it.  Some areas have come out almost flat, and some are glossy.  The glossy areas are also a bit sticky.  Also, I’m having problems with the paint leveling—it basically isn’t.  I should point out that I’m brush painting with it.  I thought I stirred it and shook it enough, but maybe I need to do it more?  Or does it need a little bit of thinner?  I realize each paint is different, and I’m trying to figure this one out.

Hi Clifton,

A good rule of thumb is that you cannot stir the paint too much; there are dedicated paint stirrers available - Badger make one, for instance - but I use one of those battery-operated coffee frothers from IKEA (I got two for £5 from ebay but I'm sure there is some equally cheap US equivalent) and I do recommend that or something like it because there is a lot of pigment in the paint. The uneven finish you describe does sound like it could have done with more stirring.

I usually airbrush it, but I have on many occasions brush-painted, I usually thin it about 50% and aim to do two or three thin coats as required rather than trying to do it in one.

HTH,

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Many years ago, back when I was a laser engineer, we had issues with an optical-grade epoxy adhesive which wasn't curing properly. Their sales engineer gave us some advice-once you think you have mixed it sufficiently, do that all over again.

Having since applied that advice to model paints, I've not once had an issue with inconsistent finishes. I also use a modified IKEA battery operated coffee stirrer, passed through an old Humbrol lid that has had a small hole drilled in it. Knowing what I'm like, it helps prevent paint from going all over the place. 

• Like 4

Mine is a coffee frother chosen for having a detachable shaft. This slots through a drilled old tin lid which is a reasonably good seal on the paint tinto minimise spillage.

note use of the words “reasonably good seal” and “minimise”....a tightly pressed rag is a necessary precaution.

• Like 1

While a coffee frother or similar will work, a dedicated paint stirrer designed for the purpose is perhaps a better idea for not much more money. I use a Trumpter one, and can dip it into a full tin of Colourcoats and stir away with no splashers or spills - though of course that hasn't stopped me knocking the tin over on occassion! 

Dedicated stirrers all seem to use a sort of scalloped flat disk which seems to mix the paint without sending it everywhere.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2

re: Paint mixers.  I am learning how to use Vallejo acrylic paint - and found a cheap second hand lab mixer/agitator - called a vortex shaker.  You keep the lid closed and it shakes the paint bottle. The one I managed to find works well with the Vallejo/Mig "dropper" bottles and is a very quick and easy way to get a really good mix.  I think this might be the sort of thing @Duncan B was referring to.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I have one of these, or something very similar, and can confirm that they do not spray paint everywhere.  Or at least mine didn't - if only I could recall where I put in in the great loft re-arrangements...

Providing the switch is in the Off position when entering or leaving the paint. Isn't that so @Stew Dapple? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I found a pack of 3 battery powered nail buffing thingies in some cheap old shop for I think about a fiver,  a bit like mini, low torque Dremmels. rammed a bit of copper  4mm cable in the end, shaped other end and bobs yer Aunty three stirrers for not a lot.

If I hadn't done the above I probably would have got a nail varnish shaker from Amazon or fleabay, about £25 I think.

happy stirring 😀

• Thanks 1

For paint stirrers I would suggest going onto ebay and buying some small stainless steel ball bearings and a nail varnish shaker. Open lid, drop in ball bearing, close lid and attach to shaker. From standing for 35 years totally separated enamel to perfectly mixed ready to go in 5 mins

• Like 1

The Badger thing looks interesting but will only work on tins or Tamiya type pots. I used all sorts of different Brands of paint so need to be able to mix Alclad style bottles, dropper bottles and the rest as well so the shaker would be my go to (if I wasn't a cheapskate/didn't have arms).

Duncan B

34 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

The Badger thing looks interesting but will only work on tins or Tamiya type pots. I used all sorts of different Brands of paint so need to be able to mix Alclad style bottles, dropper bottles and the rest as well so the shaker would be my go to (if I wasn't a cheapskate/didn't have arms).

Duncan B

It fits in the neck of an Alclad bottle. The Alclad plastic bottles for the clearcoats need the dropper to popped out obviously but it does work :)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Scimitar F1 said:

For paint stirrers I would suggest going onto ebay and buying some small stainless steel ball bearings and a nail varnish shaker. Open lid, drop in ball bearing, close lid and attach to shaker. From standing for 35 years totally separated enamel to perfectly mixed ready to go in 5 mins

OK, I'm sold…

Except how do you make sure the top of the tin doesn't fly off and… :yikes:

The ones I've seen have an 'L' shaped platform and straps - can you strap a tin in 'top side up'?

4 hours ago, CedB said:

OK, I'm sold…

Except how do you make sure the top of the tin doesn't fly off and… :yikes:

The ones I've seen have an 'L' shaped platform and straps - can you strap a tin in 'top side up'?

This concerned me at first but have not had one come off yet and some I felt were marginal.

for those I either cleaned the lid so that they did close or used tape to secure in place.

some of the paint I have been using was last used in 1985. Cannot believe how messy I was then!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Scimitar - ordered! :) 

I have one of the badger stirrers but as others have said it won't fit all bottles (like Model Air) and there's some wastage.