Italeri 1/72 F4U-7 Corsair Aéronavale 14.F.1 Suez 1954 - Completed

This will be my first, and almost certainly only entry I'm afraid.  This will be my first Italeri kit build, so I hope it goes smoothly as I have two more of their kits in the stash.

2jhdfUj.jpg

Chufkq4.jpg

I'll be going with the box art scheme, which is the reason I bought this one.  Decals look decent, but I plan on painting as much as I can, namely the black/yellow stripes and the possibly the red/white/blue on the rudder...

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies guys, a busy weekend with the family at the start of the GB, coupled with another wave of "Covid mojo loss" meant I got as far as clipping and sanding all the parts for the cockpit, then they just sat.  Didn't help that on top of the lack of motivation, I discovered that this kit doesn't have a decal for the instrument panel, so I'm gonna have to figure out how to paint something half reasonable at 1/72 scale.

Anywho, I finally got back in the game.  Not much but, but its a start.  I've finally primed the parts.  Just need to mix up something resembling 'Green Zinc Chromate' which is the listed paint colour for the cockpit area...

mDCtbSl.jpg

• Like 4

8 hours ago, HoolioPaulio said:

I discovered that this kit doesn't have a decal for the instrument panel, so I'm gonna have to figure out how to paint something half reasonable at 1/72 scale.

Ive seen someone use a photo from the web, scaled down and printed out on regular paper. You can use pva glue to adhere it then your good.  

• Like 1

OK, some colour went down tonight.  Looked too dark in the mixing pot, then when it went on wet looked too light.  Now its dried it may be a smidge too dark, but who's checking?

r3ZCcjn.jpg

Then I had a go at making a drybrushing brush from one of my old spare non-primary brushes.  Missed the focus, but you get the gist...

uo7cnSv.jpg

Then I had my first go at proper dry brushing to bring out the dials.  Not bad, needs a bit of work but I'll take it for now.  Feedback welcome, but I think I may have had too much paint still on the brush, dryer next time with more layers...

a5GcD29.jpg

May try and do so more work on it while I'm detailing the rest of the cockpit.  Or may not risk it.  I've read that the Italeri canopy doesn't sit too well open and its quite thick, so more detail work may be wasted.  We shall see...

• Like 9

Decent but not amazing, I'll take that.  And this dry brushing, while I need to practice a lot more, its a technique I really like so hope to do more of it.

0iQzJbX.jpg

PUNQh0r.jpg

Edit: I forgot, I need to tidy the grey splodge up on the back wall, dry brushing mishap...

Edited by HoolioPaulio
Added extra info
  • Like 8

It's very much looking to be the right shape now...

50046724662_25962e6f02_b_d.jpg

I have followed the instructions regarding interior colours.  Others may gently correct.  Such is their wont.   

50046724617_fabc67b6b4_b_d.jpg

The only seams when joining the wing are on the underside.  The wing roots are flush because the fuselage area overhangs the wing root a bit.  Nice engineering, that!  And I didn't forget to drill out the holes in the wing for the rocket hard points.  Or the holes in the fuselage for the numerous antennae mounts.

I predict primer this afternoon.

--John

• Like 4

@John Masters Ha haa, no probs.  I never even noticed it was my thread, the only reason I didn't comment earlier when I saw it was because I was working at the time, and just skimming through new comments while I had two spare minutes running an update.

OK, this is beginning to progress now, I made an attempt at the engine.  Had no idea if it would work, but I'm happy with it.  First I primed it black.  Then I gave it a fairly heavy dry brushing of gunmetal

2QvooCx.jpg

Then a light dry brushing of alu to add highlights

2UBV3KA.jpg

Then painted the centre a mix of gunmetal and alu to make a sort of steel colour

bwCjvzh.jpg

Happy enough with that, at this scale I'm not sure how much you'll see inside the cowling.  Feedback and advice always welcome.

• Like 6

Fuselage all glued up, ready for the seams to be addressed.  And almost visible in the background the wings awaiting glueing.  The air intakes that go inside the wing are painted, just need a coat of satin to protect them first.

s9hKYkJ.jpg

• Like 6