Italeri 1/72 F4U-7 Corsair Aéronavale 14.F.1 Suez 1954 - Completed

41 minutes ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Well, thats horrible 😐

Filling isn't my strongest skill, but we'll see how it goes...

You could try using PVA, Ive used it for gaps before ? Sometimes it takes a few layers to build up. If you have a syringe you can inject it directly into the gap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoolioPaulio said:

Well, thats horrible 😐

R4oNw6A.jpg

P9xepqC.jpg

Filling isn't my strongest skill, but we'll see how it goes...

AVOID FILLING IF POSSIBLE

Despite having made a complete pigs ear of the one I have been doing,  I would suggest filing and trimming the join just under the exhaust, and also at the rear.  Check all the edges as well

IF you wanted to fill this, plastic strip.   you could add to the lower edge of the fuselage, and then trim before assembly.

EDIT check that when you have glued the front of the wing, you have not over compressed to front edge, you maybe able to 'pop' the join and let the wing spring back up. If you compressed the wing front, it will be too thin.  

It also looks like the wing parts have slipped to one side, they lack positive alignment,  I added some plastic card tabs

thin plastic card in fuselage, (just visible) and thicker at the front, these go inside the fuselage and lock it into place. 

50014212606_cb1d3dbbf1_b.jpg50620059 by losethekibble, on Flickr

Many kits can be made to fit much better  by some small simple adjustments.  I posted on this recently.  

HTH

you may end up with a small step underneath, but the plastic is reasonably thick, and you then just sand/scrape flat, and avoid a filling job.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

EDIT check that when you have glued the front of the wing, you have not over compressed to front edge, you maybe able to 'pop' the join and let the wing spring back up. If you compressed the wing front, it will be too thin.

I'm hoping I didn't, but I will check this.

18 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

It also looks like the wing parts have slipped to one side, they lack positive alignment,  I added some plastic card tabs

thin plastic card in fuselage, (just visible) and thicker at the front, these go inside the fuselage and lock it into place. 

I probably should have thought of that, luckily in the images they are dry fitted and it was a PITA to get them central and square, they keep wanting to slide to either side.  So tabs it is :)

• Like 1

Well I made progress.  In the end, I went with some spars to left the top of the wing slightly, which has pretty much closed the gap up

QLgbQ3g.jpg

And, with thanks to @Troy Smith I have in place two tabs to seat the wings properly now, and then a sliver of plasticard to try and reshape the dodgy bit that nowhere near conforms to the wing.  Will try sanding it to shape tomorrow when its dried and hopefully properly bonded...

2OkaVXw.jpg

• Like 8

• HoolioPaulio changed the title to Italeri 1/72 F4U-7 Corsair Aéronavale 14.F.1 Suez 1954 - WiP

I haven't forgotten about this, just been doing little bits to it in between other jobs so not been much to update.  Doing my best to reduce the wing gap (not great but better), sanding seam lines and trying to re-scribe sanded panel lines etc.  I updated the thread title to reflect what marking scheme I went for, which I chose A, to be slightly different from @John Masters build, and B, it has a red centre cap on the prop and the logo on the rudder is a pirate (I think, but its very small).

So currently its had the canopy glued in, and masked using my favourite method of fine slivers of tape for a clean outline, and Vallejo masking fluid to fill the middle.  I find it works very well, but can be very time consuming and fiddly to get the tape on (for me anyway), and you have to be careful not to personhandle the canopy area, as by design the masking fluid is easy to rub off.

I've filled the engine, air intakes, and tail wheel well with foam to keep paint out, and its ready for a coat of light grey primer ready for the makings to be painted.

vbcb380.jpg

Amazingly, I haven't yet snapped the pylon thing off the wing yet.  I wish they would make things like that a separate piece to be glued on at the end, I snapped the ones on the Phantom rudder loads, and eventually lost one...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, HoolioPaulio said:

I haven't yet snapped the pylon thing off the wing yet. 

Looking very good Hoolio...

I didn't snap off the pitot tube either, which amazed me to no end.  Probably a first for me.  

I attribute this to the resilience of the plastic not any particular skill or care of mine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, she's got her first run on primer, will let it cure fully before a full inspection, but where the cowl meets the fuselage needs a bit of attention with filler at least.

e8drkDg.jpg

I don't want to jinx things, but I'm starting to get my mojo back, a little more each day.  This is progressing nicely, my Titanic lighting worked very well, and I'm mulling over plenty of ideas to address the panel trenches on my Comanche :D 

• Like 5

I forgot to add, I think I'm going with this for the main colour, as I have it in stock

1t3ZnqX.jpg

Will just need to do a spoon test to see whether I like it better over light grey or black primer.

50 minutes ago, HoolioPaulio said:

I forgot to add, I think I'm going with this for the main colour, as I have it in stock

1t3ZnqX.jpg

Will just need to do a spoon test to see whether I like it better over light grey or black primer.

Add a few drops of black to it or if you have this color ? QcgOUuN.jpg

Ive used this on both Corsairs and Hellcats. 

Dennis

• Like 2

I did wonder if it was a tad light, but it looked like a good starting point.  Its really hard to get a good idea when looking online, everyone has their own preference.  I've seen countless arguments about exact pigment colours, and how much (if at all) they should be lightened for the 'scale' effect etc.  Plus I'm still at that point where I can't justify, or store 10 shades of blue, 10 shades of grey, 10 shades of brown etc.  Depending on the colour I tend to keep 1-3 and uses other colours to adjust them to a close approximation.

Plus you look at images online, and even though my monitor is calibrated for my photography hobby, the camera used can affect the colour cast.  I've seen quite a few images online that looked to have the tiniest bit of green behind the GSB, looked like a really nice colour, but did the camera taking it add the minor green cast?  Most likely.

I'm having the same issue with the colours for the Titanic.  I've read loads of resources, but have yet to read two that agree on shades used, mainly on the red anti-fouling section on the bottom of the hull.  But the colour of the funnels is also a hot debate it would seem.

Anyway, back on track with the Corsair.  Next steps are to tidy up the cowl, and test the blue on spoons in various guises...

• Like 3

On 08/07/2020 at 20:28, HoolioPaulio said:

1t3ZnqX.jpg

IF this is a good match for the quoted FS 595, the compared to what it should be,  it's way too purple and a bit light.     

fs 35056 is a darker and bluer version of the darkest colour on a new £20 note if that helps.

A google showed the colour before was for "Blue FS35048-RAL5013-RLM24 “Blue Angels” 71.090" which is a dark blue.

Regarding the paint mentioned,  I'm wary of anything that quotes as being FS 35042/ANA607, as the wartime color (ANA) did not map onto the FS595 system.

AFAIK, the post war Gloss Sea Blue is the same as FS 15042,   which is very dark grey hued with green hued blue. 

Some spoon shots would help, if compared to something of known colour, say the darkest part of a new £20 would give an idea of how close the Vallejo match is (Vallejo do lots of colours, but i don't trust their quoted matches)

HTH 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

A google showed the colour before was for "Blue FS35048-RAL5013-RLM24 “Blue Angels” 71.090"

Funnily enough, that was what I bought it for originally, my 'what if' Curtiss Hawk in Blue Angels livery.

The more I look at it in the bottle, the more I think it will need to be mixed with something else to get the right(ish) colour...

22 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

darkest colour on a new £20 note if that helps.

Thanks to lockdown I haven’t seen a note or coin of the realm for months! Are £1 notes still green?

Nice going on the Corsair too, liked the cockpit. I will keep away from the colour discussion, I know nothing!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Nice work on the F4U-7 so far! I have one I'm slowly working on (nothing wrong with the kit, I'm just very slooooooow). Good luck finishing yours - doing it with the Suez stripes?

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I slowed down a little on both this and the Comanche.  Just I was starting to get back into it both builds hit tedious bits and I've been putting them off.  But back to this build, I laid the yellow down first

G1e4quQ.jpg

Then I made a widget to try and keep the spacing of the stripes even and consistent

nzN5r6a.jpg

Which was the tedious bit that slowed me down

2RRiWxH.jpg

But I got there in the end, and laid the black down today.

qwZAAKF.jpg

Next job is to leave the black to fully cure for a day or two while I experiment with different shades of blue on spoons.  Once a basecoat/colour combo is found I'll attach the stabs and cover the black stripes and get painting.

• Like 5